Is a repertoire of chords really necessary?

+1 on Howling Hobbit's chord progressions. I found it a great help in teaching myself music. I too do not sing well, so seldom sing along, except in my head, which has the necessary acoustics to make it agreeable.

One thing I found is that forming the chords and strumming to the lyric, made my playing sound more like music, also the chords will most often form the notes to the song if you pick the strings separately.

The one thing I find in Uncle Rod's boot camp is the chords he uses are not grouped in progressions, so while teaching the chord forms they do nothing to train the ear in key progressions. If they did it would be very useful. I've only been playing for ~9 months now but found my neighbor, who is a guitarist that I infected with Uke fever and who sings fairly well, has helped me a good deal. We play together about once a week and he's helped me a lot and the fact that he has a good deal of chord/lyric music, which he prints out into practice books has allowedd me to learn many progressions. I can now form an E maj in less than a second! Though I find E7 will generally do the job and is a lot less difficult. ;)

Top Bottom