Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: B flat help (and inverted C etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by robinboyd View Post
    I can do what he's doing. I just can't reach my fingers over to the G or the C strings without losing pressure on the A string.
    Try keeping the boney part of your finger joint on the A string as you reach up to G for the barre. Also sometimes it helps me to roll my barre finger (index usually) slightly to the side so I'm not barring with the padded part of the finger but more of the side part which is leaner.

Quote Originally Posted by photoshooter View Post
    Try keeping the boney part of your finger joint on the A string as you reach up to G for the barre. Also sometimes it helps me to roll my barre finger (index usually) slightly to the side so I'm not barring with the padded part of the finger but more of the side part which is leaner.
    Thanks. That actually seems to be physically possible. Now I just have to work out whether there is any advantage to that over the full barre.

That's what I do for a full barre. I try to make sure that as I lay my finger across all the strings, that the boney "2nd joint" on my finger (the one at the middle of your finger) rests on the A string. And when possible I roll my finger slightly to the side. In both cases what I'm trying to avoid is the fleshy part of my finger landing on the A string and not applying the correct pressure which results in a thud. I fumbled through a lot of trial and error and more error until I found what worked for my fingers. Seems to be different for everyone. Keep at it, you'll get it

Honestly just play the full barre, if it works don't worry and just carry on making music. I play it both ways and honestly I'm not even sure its a conscious decision at times. If you're new to barring in general it will come with time but I wouldn't worry about it.

Thread Information