Season 203 - Two Zero Three

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm afraid the ly/indas may have bought ALL THE UKES. all the ukes IN THE WORLD. there may not be any left for wendys. or indeed for anyone else

we're sorry. (kinda ;))

those are indeed scientifically proven facts :rock:

the thing is....every time a ukulele goes to a new home, the uke fairy poofs another into being.....not ever to worry - there's plenty for everybody!!!! (ESPECIALLY THE L I/Y NDAS!!!!) :music::music::music

the optimum number of ukes is one more than you have at the moment. :biglaugh:

Correct.

I keep telling myself I will cure my UAS forever once I buy a Martin OXK. But I've also heard Kiwaya makes a super-cool all-laminate that's a lot like the Martin, only with a little more of the "island" sound. So I guess I'll have to get both. Just to be sure. Until something else comes along ... (or my spouse throws me on the street with nothing more than my ukes and a change of clothes)

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

gah, how did they slip through the net?!

I think because they are not on the "net". You will have to come visit to get them.

the thing is....every time a ukulele goes to a new home, the uke fairy poofs another into being.....not ever to worry - there's plenty for everybody!!!! (ESPECIALLY THE L I/Y NDAS!!!!) :music::music::music

There is always a new one, isn't there? Uke ownership is a moving target.

But I think you might be right, there are enough for all the L/W-y/i/e-nd-a/y's. So far.

Last edited:
The only soprano I have is the Favilla I've played in a lot of Seasons recently. I wish I could bring it over for you to try. It's a real sweetheart.

Uh Oh??? Now you have me thinking.....why not a real vintage? Im going to have to do some serious thinking about all this!

Phluffy, You see what you've started! A derailment convo about sopranos. This brilliant season has brought out not only loads of fun and fab song but its been great for the ukulele market. Isn't this what always happens at open mic night???

:confused:..................I wouldn't know. Ive never been to an open mic but Im liking where this one is going :)

Correct.

I keep telling myself I will cure my UAS forever once I buy a Martin OXK. But I've also heard Kiwaya makes a super-cool all-laminate that's a lot like the Martin, only with a little more of the "island" sound. So I guess I'll have to get both. Just to be sure. Until something else comes along ... (or my spouse throws me on the street with nothing more than my ukes and a change of clothes)

Are you sure you'll have room for the change of clothes?:)

:confused:..................I wouldn't know. Ive never been to an open mic but Im liking where this one is going :)

Linda Louden ... your public awaits! Get thee to an open mic! What are you waiting for?!

Are you sure you'll have room for the change of clothes?:)

Or that the missus won't just sell the ukes when she throws you out?
(But don't worry ... there are still a few left in the store near me the Ly/indas haven't gotten to yet.)

I interrupt this discussion to post another entry.

From the mid 18th Century on, there was a street ballad circulating in the British Isles called variously; "The Unfortunate Rake", "The Unfortunate Lad", "A Young Man (Sailor, Soldier, Girl etc.) Cut Down in His (Her) Prime" and other titles though the generic term "The Unfortunate Rake" seems now to be used when referring to variants of this song. The song made its way across the Atlantic where it became variously, The Streets of Laredo and St. James Infirmary. In the early versions, the cause of death was clearly venereal disease, probably syphilis but this changed in some later versions and became somewhat vague in St. James Infirmary, but through all the changes and variants, there was someone dieing an early death and a request for a ritual funeral.

I've taken an early (ish) version of the Unfortunate Rake (Lad) followed it with St. James Infirmary.

OK now back to discussing U=U+1 ukes

Last edited:
Here is my entry:

Last edited:
Linda Louden ... your public awaits! Get thee to an open mic! What are you waiting for?!

Linda,

Find one locally to you and give it a go. Playing for a live audience is very different from recording or playing for your family. A good open mic usually is a supportive audience and willing to encourage newcomers. I really enjoy them and I like playing for an audience. An open mic is a good way of finding out if you enjoy playing in front of a live audience. You also get to meet other musicians.

Greetings
Can't believe it's Friday. Long back to work week. I have a song or two on my mind. So maybe tomorrow will be uke day. Yeah.

Ciao
Gina

I have been under the weather the last couple days, no telling if I will get another entry in this week or not. I do loathe Colds! Rob asked me if i would be interested in listing the playlists for the Seasons in his Seasons of the Ukulele Community . I aggreed and have listed the first seven seasons and the last four to date. If you have any information on a particular season you wish to share you might like to comment there. I hope to have the playlists current by the end of the month. We will see.

Before you embark on this 8+ minute, I would like you to note that this evening is the time I played Billy Joel.
That is all.

Lol, of course it's small enough to play "in" the seat girl! I took my concert bell shmidt onboard and not only played it in my seat but got up and taught the flight attendants both to CA and back from! They loved it!

Yes, but it isn't really small enough to play in the seat. :)

Anyway, I think I'd be more likely to travel with the Epiphone than the Flea if I were flying, so I could perform with it. :)
When I drove to Atlanta, I think I took three. :)

The Ly/indas all definitely need more ukes. In fact I am fairly certain, there are not enough ukes in the world to satisfy that need.

The Wendy's are too far behind to even think of trying to catch up.

I have to say guys and gals, I'm really enjoying the great videos for Season 203! Let's see what we have on tap for tonight!

mythinformed - Awesome song choices, and a wonderful transition in between!

Tootler - Great selections. I've never heard "The Unfortunate Rake" or "St. James Infirmary" before. That picking lead into "St. James Infirmary" was pretty slick!

cua94 - Fantastic job! Nice transition into the Garden Song.

ukuleledaddy - Terrific transition between "Teenage Kicks" and "Some Kinda Hate"!

TCK - Fantastic song choices. Billy Joel suits you... Thanks for a thoroughly entertaining 8 minutes!

thesillydave - Well, there are a couple of bright, sunshiny song choices. :)

.....and, that brings us up to date!

I wanted to take another minute out tonight for everyone who has contributed to the Season so far. I continue to be awed and amazed with each new submission. It's been a real treat for me to watch all of your videos.
Thank you!

Here are a pair of leftovers from the Stiff Records week. And it all went wrong in the middle...

HEADLESS REPRAZENT!
Good thing this is a one-take week. 5 mins I had and 4:24 is what you get. Another player can be briefly heard. Interpret this addition as you will. You'll probably have to turn the volume up some.

Lol, of course it's small enough to play "in" the seat girl! I took my concert bell shmidt onboard and not only played it in my seat but got up and taught the flight attendants both to CA and back from! They loved it!

Ah, Janet, I love you! And, is there room for it to be safely stashed when you're not playing, like during meals or movies, or did you just play the entire cross-country flight?!

Two covers in one take—and my second take, at that! The one is on my lowest-tuned instrument—an octave ukulele with low (low) G—the other on my highest-tuned—a cavaquinho in high Bb (1st string reentrant)—so that's kind of fun.

The octave ukulele is amplified, so I did mix in the isolated uke line for that one, but it's all the one take, so I assume that's okay. Also, yes, a cavaquinho isn't a uke, but I have it tuned like one (but with low/first string reentrant, like a cuatro . . . except in the Bb above the cuatro's usual D tuning . . . blah blah blah).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom