Two of same size silly?

scooterguitar

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting another uke the same size of the one I have. Different makers. Odss are they will sound totally different, but should I be considering a different size altogether for my second uke?

Then I must be silly!!!!!

Proud owner of a 2 Tenors same brand but different models and 5 Sopranos, 2 of which are the same make and model but with different strings.

You can have 2 of the same make, size, and model but have a different sound due to the grain of the wood or strings.

If you like the size go for it but if you want to try a different size go for that...

I have two tenors. One low G and one high. It's nice to have the flexibility. I'm still a newbie. So the "flexibility" idea was my justification for making the purchase. A rational person probably would have waited untill they could strum and sing at the same time. But hey, any excuse will do.

Not silly at all. I have ukes that are the same size, same model, and from the same builder. Each is set up differently. Low-g, re-entrants, different tunings, different string combinations. I also have them in different rooms since I am too lazy.

The main thing is you buy another uke, don't matter the size, just satisfy that UAS urge as soon as possible. ;) I too have several sopranos though only one concert, and one tenor. You can never have too many ukuleles (unless you ask my wife).

Think of it as a constant, futile attempt to achieve balance that can only be temporarily sated by buying more ukes.

For example, I have two sopranos, a concert, and a baritone. Being newly unemployed, I foresee the disturbance in my feng shui lasting quite a while. But once I get some kind of tenor, I'll of course have to get another concert, tenor, and baritone eventually to balance it out. Sure, I could ditch one of the sopranos and live with one of each, but that's just not reasonable. :confused:

Think of it as a constant, futile attempt to achieve balance that can only be temporarily sated by buying more ukes.

For example, I have two sopranos, a concert, and a baritone. Being newly unemployed, I foresee the disturbance in my feng shui lasting quite a while. But once I get some kind of tenor, I'll of course have to get another concert, tenor, and baritone eventually to balance it out. Sure, I could ditch one of the sopranos and live with one of each, but that's just not reasonable. :confused:

This is perfect logic to me. Is that wrong?

My house has 12 ukes in it. All sizes, shapes and models from a sopranino to a baritone to a banjolele. Only five people live in my house, (not counting the critters) so that's more than two ukes a person if we play with both hands. Still not enough. I'm starting to hang them on the walls in all the rooms 'cuz I'm lazy like Deach. I'm seriously considering hanging one in the bathroom.....

I currently have 3 sopranos (Glyph, Flea and National reso) and one sopranino (Ohana). I have one more soprano (Dominator) that's off in the wilds for some adjustments. I have the prospect of another soprano or two joining me soon.

Oh, and if I ever get around to fixing it, I have a banjo uke that I think may be a concert scale.

(I'll check that if I ever ummm... y'know, get brave enough to fix it. I'm such a wuss sometimes.)

In fine, no, it's not silly to own more than one of the same size. With the exception of the 'nino -- and possibly the banjolele -- all the ukes I own are the same size.

Silly? Nah!
I currently have seven, all tenors. I prefer the size and am not comfortable with smaller scales. Some folks here comfortably play all sizes, so they have a more varied collection. Me, is tick to what my clumsy fingers find most reassuring.

Try the other sizes, and get what you like.

Never argue with yourself, that's your wife's job.

My wife never argues with me. That would be pointless since she's always right, and her Word is Lsw here. Why argue when I'm clearly and demonstrably wrong? It would be like arguing with the dog.

My roomates always tell me that its silly for me to have more than one of the same sized ukes haha. Sopranino: Ohana. Sopranos: Surf Flea, Kala Mango. Concerts: Cordoba Koa, Mitchell, WaverlyStreet Banjolele.

They all have different sounds. All of them are high G except for the banjolele. I use them for different purposes too. I've got a pickup on my flea, so for playing with a full band, I normally use that. The Mitchell is my junker that I take with me when I'm going overseas or for playing outdoors. The Cordoba is my baby, my only solid koa uke.

Now that I think of it, I might just need another soprano.... :p

Top Bottom