To strap or not to strap, that is the question

Larry U

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I'm somewhat a beginner here (been only playing a few weeks on a cheap concert uke), but I just ordered a nice Kala Micheal Aratani Tenor and was wondering whether to have a strap button installed. I'm OK with hand-holding the concert uke, but even then there are times when I wish I had a little more secure hold on the instrument. With the tenor ukulele being even larger, I'm concerned that it might be even more awkward to hand hold. For an extra $5, I can have a strap button installed by the dealer (HMS/theukulelesite.com). What do you think? Am I devaluing the instrument by installing the button? Is my awkwardness holding the uke just due to my newbieness and will pass? All opinions welcomed :cool:!

IMHO a strap button doesn't devalue a uke unless it is vintage. Most tenors have them. If you plan on playing while standing a strap comes in handy.

Please post some pic when you get it!

You ordered from HMS, right? Call them and ask them to install the strap buttons. Very inexpensive addition.

I'm somewhat a beginner here (been only playing a few weeks on a cheap concert uke), but I just ordered a nice Kala Micheal Aratani Tenor and was wondering whether to have a strap button installed. I'm OK with hand-holding the concert uke, but even then there are times when I wish I had a little more secure hold on the instrument. With the tenor ukulele being even larger, I'm concerned that it might be even more awkward to hand hold. For an extra $5, I can have a strap button installed by the dealer (HMS/theukulelesite.com). What do you think? Am I devaluing the instrument by installing the button? Is my awkwardness holding the uke just due to my newbieness and will pass? All opinions welcomed :cool:!
$5 is a good price for the installation of a strap button. It will be very helpful to have it, and you never know when you might have to stand and play. I would trust HMS to do a good job, and it is the best time to have such a thing done. If they do it before you get it, if there is any damage done during the process (it can happen), they will just choose another uke for you. If you take it somewhere else, then if there is damage, you are stuck with it.
–Lori

$5 for a strap button is so worth it. For so many reasons. Do it now. You won't want to part with others it later -- even for 5 minutes while it is installed. Nor will you trust the 2nd luthier to do a perfect job. I might know this.
Does the ukulele have a pick up? If not, consider having that done also.

Yes, Yes and Yes to a strap button and a strap. It makes playing a tenor (or any other size) so much easier. I have them on sopranos up to baritones. It will not devalue it.

They did the strap buttons on my Opio. Best investment ever.

I'm a fan of trying things out before making that kind of commitment though adding a strap button wouldn't be a big deal. Give it a try using a piece of string or yarn to fashion a strap to see how you like it and if you think you'd need it. I tried this method for a while and found that I really didn't need a strap because I do 100% of my playing sitting down making it easier to hold my ukes. (concert and tenor) If I were to play standing up, I might reconsider. Then a strap might be handy.

A strap of any of the various kinds will help with a tenor as they are more neck-heavy than the smaller sizes. $5 installed sounds like a great deal!

I add 2 strap buttons to every one of my ukes and basses, wouldn't play without a strap.

Top Bottom