SEASON 204: Rump shaker.

Freeda

Reaction score
Okay y'all, I just got back from contra dancing (it's a lot like square dancing) and so this week our theme is

WHAT MUSIC GETS YOU DANCING?

Especially since we are just past the new year and a lot of us have goals to be more physical as well as more musical.

I want to know what songs make you PHYSICALLY START GROOVING. I don't care if it is tango or head banging, I want the tunes that when they come on the radio, your body starts moving before your head even registers the song is playing!!

Blah blah blah about rules. No rules. Eff rules. Do yer thing. Multi track, no face, I don't care. But here's the catch:

Entries will be rated based on the dual JOY METER.... how much joy you express, and how much you cause for the viewer.

Life is wonderful. We have ears to hear music, and bodies to groove to it. What a joyous thing to have and to share!!

Turtledrum guessed it! Wonderful theme ... I love happy music that gets body, mind, and heart all up and moving, so yay!

(And yay contra dancing! You all should try it ... it's the most fun you can have with your clothes on, so they say. (Aside from uking, of course.))

Turtledrum guessed it! Wonderful theme ... I love happy music that gets body, mind, and heart all up and moving, so yay!

(And yay contra dancing! You all should try it ... it's the most fun you can have with your clothes on, so they say. (Aside from uking, of course.))
I tried contra dancing twice. They said if you can walk you can contra danse! They say Contra dancers are the nicest people in the world. Maybe so. But when you manage to break up the dance by your mere presence ...... well things can get a little tense. Happened to me twice. Now I play for the dancers. They don't seem to mind that!

Should be a fun week Freeda!

:nana:

I'd have tried for a version of this but for the fact that Rex owned it with an alleged "disgrace" back in #65

We play this song with the band as it was covered by U2, I guess it is our most danceable song ;).
This is my take on Patty Smith - Dancing Barefoot. Oh and it has Dancing in the Title that should count for something of course ;).
There is some live shaker egg and very soft foot tambourine on it just for fun.

Our equivalent in England is a Ceilidh. Ceilidh is a Scots Gaelic word meaning "an entertainment" but in England it's simply a social dance. They used to be called barn dances or country dances and I remember going to barn dances which were actually held in a barn where you sat on bales of hay and the bar was a trestle table in a corner. They were great fun. They are normally held in church and village halls though.

The dances are a mixture of longways and square sets and the music is basically fiddle tunes; mainly jigs, reels, hornpipes & polkas with some waltzes. It's great fun and fairly informal. It uses a caller so you don't need to know the dances.

I play in a band that does ceilidhs and it's great fun. I mainly play harmonica and sometimes low whistle on waltzes.

I shall have to look at doing some of our dance sets this week. They comprise a mixture of English, Scots and Irish tunes.

I shall have to play some of our sets.

Last edited:
Our equivalent in England is a Ceilidh. Ceilidh is a Scots Gaelic word meaning "an entertainment" but in England it's simply a social dance. They used to be called barn dances or country dances and I remember going to barn dances which were actually held in a barn where you sat on bales of hay and the bar was a trestle table in a corner. They were great fun. They are normally held in church and village halls though.

The dances are a mixture of longways and square sets and the music is basically fiddle tunes; mainly jigs, reels, hornpipes & polkas with some waltzes. It's great fun and fairly informal. It uses a caller so you don't need to know the dances.

I play in a band that does ceilidhs and it's great fun. I mainly play harmonica and sometimes low whistle on waltzes.

I shall have to look at doing some of our dance sets this week. They comprise a mixture of English, Scots and Irish tunes.

I shall have to play some of our sets.

Sounds exactly like what we did. Unbelievably fun!

Sounds exactly like what we did. Unbelievably fun!

Somebody who actually knows stuff or bothers to look it up will probably come by to correct me, but I suspect contra dancing has its roots in barn dances, ceilidh (pronounced KAY-Lee, for those for whom this Celtic word looks like gobbledy-gook - in modern Irish it's spelled "ceili"), and also Scottish Country Dancing, which I also used to do. (And also English dancing, which is a more sedate form.) All of them are fun! (Square dancing is related too, and the more modern form often done in contra dance circles can be really cool, and not so "square" as the stuff my folks used to do in gingham petticoats and cowboy outfits in the '70's. :))

If this week inspires a few folks to get out to a local contra dance or other fun dancing thing, that's a win in my book!

(I also recommend international folk dance (IFD) ... or Zumba. Or line dancing. Or anything. Come dancing!)
((Oh, and swing! Especially west coast swing.))

Eek! I don't dance!

:wallbash: Nothing will get me dancing! :deadhorse:

:confused:I'm going to have a hard time trying to get something on for this season. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Eek! I don't dance!

:wallbash: Nothing will get me dancing! :deadhorse:

:confused:I'm going to have a hard time trying to get something on for this season. :rolleyes:

I can't (and don't) dance, so instead ask what gets your toes tapping, or your head bobbing? That's the best I can do on the dance front ...

ok i ran the theme past my dad and he straight away said i HAD to do THIS

"blackberry boogie"

dancingmonkey.gif

I'll have to really scour my repertoire to see if anything of mine is what I'd call danceable. Meanwhile here is the last time I did some dancing on the Seasons. I just watched it though and I'm exhausted. I think I'd have a heart attack if I attempted that now ;)

Top Bottom