Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Taiwanese Koa the same as Hawaiian Koa? Please help, looking to buy a new Uke

Default Is Taiwanese Koa the same as Hawaiian Koa? Please help, looking to buy a new Uke

Does anybody have an informed opinion about sound quality of Taiwanese Koa VS Hawaiian Koa? I am looking to buy a new tenor Uke but can't afford a custom made one with crazy curly Koa from Hawaii... obviously my first choice, BUT please, why is a tiny instrument so expensive? I've been looking at some beauties ffrom 1,500$ to 7000& or more. So I thought I might get the next best thing which is an affordable instrument from a Taiwanese manufacturer. What do you guys think? Any help would be appreciated. I am looking for a tenor Uke from Koa, just to get a nice authentic sound and that raspy ring in the sound. Thanks!!!

Taiwanese Koa is an oxymoron. Koa is a variety of acacia that only grows in Hawaii, On the plus side, I have seen some acacia that rivals some pretty fancy looking koa. As far as sound, I have a KPK concert solid acacia uke that sounds like a way more expensive koa uke with that woody, ringing bark you are looking for. Can't speak to the one you are considering. Wondering if they have a liberal return policy?

Can you provide some information regarding which Taiwanese manufacturer and/or model that you are considering?

Taiwanese Koa is actually Acacia . Cousin of the Hawaii Koa. It does not sound the same. It is much richer and deeper tone and is much heavier in weight too. I own both so I know the difference in sound and weight. They are definitely not the same in look, sound and weight.

Acacia can make a nice uke, nothing wrong with it per se. Pono and KPK are examples of inexpensive uke builders who use acacia, but not Acacia koa. Like spruce. There's Picea rubens (red or Adirondack spruce) and Picea engelmannii (Engelmann spruce); both are used in instruments but they're not the same.
    Laura

Haʻina ʻia mai ana ka puana

Quote Originally Posted by SoloRule View Post
    Taiwanese Koa is actually Acacia . Cousin of the Hawaii Koa. It does not sound the same. It is much richer and deeper tone and is much heavier in weight too. I own both so I know the difference in sound and weight. They are definitely not the same in look, sound and weight.
    There are several varieties of acacia, koa being one of them. They do not all look the same. Some "definitely look the same" as koa, some do not. Climate differences notwithstanding, if cut to equal thickness and with similar construction, they can "definitely" sound like koa and are no heavier. I too have several examples of both and have seen and played dozens more. As always, things vary from uke to uke and there are always exceptions based on factors known and unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Koalover View Post
    Does anybody have an informed opinion about sound quality of Taiwanese Koa VS Hawaiian Koa? I am looking to buy a new tenor Uke but can't afford a custom made one with crazy curly Koa from Hawaii... obviously my first choice, BUT please, why is a tiny instrument so expensive? I've been looking at some beauties ffrom 1,500$ to 7000& or more. So I thought I might get the next best thing which is an affordable instrument from a Taiwanese manufacturer. What do you guys think? Any help would be appreciated. I am looking for a tenor Uke from Koa, just to get a nice authentic sound and that raspy ring in the sound. Thanks!!!
    you can buy a very nice HI koa uke for a lot less than 1.5-7k, especially on the used market.
    there is no substitute for LOVE

Quote Originally Posted by strumsilly View Post
    you can buy a very nice HI koa uke for a lot less than 1.5-7k, especially on the used market.
    Good point. I just did a quick eBay search and found several K brands for less than $1,200, so I don't know where you got that 1.5-7k figure.
    PLAYERS: Martin C1K • Enya Nova U concert (BLUE!) • Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top) • Ohana SK-28 ‘Nunes’ • Flea koa soprano • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany soprano <yay!!> • Famous FS-1 <yippee!!> • Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> • Makala MK-CE concert
    LOOKERS: • Vintage 'Mauna Loa' c. 1925 soprano • Kahuna "Felix the Cat" soprano • Woodrow "Steelers" soprano <eyeroll>

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

I run across several different koa K ukes weekly for the $700 to $900 price range depending on size, some less if you want to do a little work on them.

This thread is in the wrong place, I stumbled on it by accident. Very informative!
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Thread Information