Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you inlay the head of the neck bolt inside the box?

Default How do you inlay the head of the neck bolt inside the box?

I've searched and can't come up with anything. The top is glued to the sides and the bolt hole is drilled, I would like to set the bolt head about an 1/8 inch into the neck block. How do folks do that? Thanks.

i remember a guitar blog where the builder machined a drill bit for this purpose, sort of like a forstner bit but with the cutting edge pointed towards the shank. that was fed through the bolt hole, tightened into the drill, and then the cut was made by pulling the bit into the block. however i cant quite remember the exact builder.

Drill and counter bore the block before gluing into the body.. And use a simple jig to set it in the right place when gluing.
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

I'll have to remember that for the next one Ken.

Carefuly glue 40 grit sandpaper to the back of bolt head. As above., feed the bolt through the hole and grind gently.
    Do practice on a piece of scrap first.

I put honey on the area i want recessed and add some ants- in 3 weeks i have a nice bore.

The reverse counterbore sounds good. Thanks.

You can make a reverse counter bore cutter out of a hex head bolt...you saw the head of the bolt into a "T" shape and sharpen the under side of the head with a file...a bit like a reverse spade bit... I'll make one and show a pic.
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

Use a pan head connecter and save yourself the bother otherwise it's ken's solution...

Here we go ..it only took a few minutes to make, Honest!...I used one of those 1/4" furniture bolts but any other type should work

Last edited by Timbuck; 01-16-2016 at 08:13 AM.

Thread Information