Switching Tenor Between High and Low G Strings

Larry U

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I will soon be receiving my first tenor ukulele, and it will be set up with a high G string set. My question concerns switching strings from high G to low G. If I choose to put a low G set on this instrument, is there any modification needed? I would think that the thicker G string would require a modification to the nut slot, but not sure. Also, if the nut slot was widened for the low G string, would it be possible to switch back to high G without any other tweaks?

If you use a wound low G the nut slot will probably be OK. I usually prefer a wound string. The unwound low G strings I've tried sound a little floppy. On two concerts and one tenor I've not needed to file the nut slot to swap high to low or back again. Best to leave it alone until the instrument tells you it's not happy.

If you use a wound low G the nut slot will probably be OK. I usually prefer a wound string. The unwound low G strings I've tried sound a little floppy. On two concerts and one tenor I've not needed to file the nut slot to swap high to low or back again. Best to leave it alone until the instrument tells you it's not happy.

I have found the same thing to be true. I also prefer the wound low strings and especially don't care for the reds. :eek:ld:

Order yourself a Freemont Soloist squeekless wound low G string. They are sold as a single string and are usually under $4.00. It is a favoirite low G string among the majoriy of members. You just swap out the G string and carry on

I just got the Fremont squeekless low g set based on some experiences of UU members. I haven't installed them yet.

Order yourself a Freemont Soloist squeekless wound low G string. They are sold as a single string and are usually under $4.00. It is a favoirite low G string among the majoriy of members. You just swap out the G string and carry on

Top Bottom