Exciting MiSi Developments

SSSooooo... is the microphone somewhere on that green board?????

Yes, a MEMS microphone is a surface mount device.

Here is a photo that shows a MEMS mic element in relation to a US 25 cent (quarter) coin:

09397-500_1.jpg

Note that some additional components are needed, as well as DC voltage from 1.5v to 12v to actually create sound from one of these as an analog transducer. More voltage gives more GAIN and more HEADROOM, i.e. it is louder and can handle greater peaks-above-average if you use a higher voltage to power it.

For those curious, a MEMS mic is NOT an elecret mic, condenser mic, or dynamic mic. It is a slightly different and much newer technology than ANY of those. Here's a picture of how they are constructed:

memsmicrophone3.png

Well I'm with Booli on this one (even if I don't have a clue what he said) :p

The quality of the MiSi Acoustic Trio using a mems mic to deliver on the promise of the iRig Acoustic...
and at a cheaper price than the MiSi Trio (and easier to install)!!!

Take my money please!

Well I'm with Booli on this one (even if I don't have a clue what he said) :p

The quality of the MiSi Acoustic Trio using a mems mic to deliver on the promise of the iRig Acoustic...
and at a cheaper price than the MiSi Trio (and easier to install)!!!

Take my money please!

Yep!

One month later and I'm STILL very excited for this to become available ASAP.

Holding my breath! :rock:

Do you know if MiSi is planning to have their volume/tone control to be connectable to the Air version?

No idea.

I have no access to inside info on their products and am as much in the dark as everyone else.

I am however a HUGE fan of the Acoustic Trio pickup and have installed it myself on 3 ukes and 2 guitars.

Not saying it's the exact same thing, but take a look at this,
http://www.omegamusic.co.uk/products/baton-rouge-v10-cce-mi-si-concert-electro-ukulele
look at the right hand side, expand the text if necessary.

Yea, good catch on that one Keith - but the description does not indicate which version of the Mi-Si pickup is in there. A phone call or email might get this info, but since I'm in the USA, I'll leave that to those that might be local to Omega Music since I'd buy from a USA vendor if possible.

Were I to guess, I'd say that they are likely using the older pickup, the 'Acoustic Trio' model, just because it usually takes until the April-May-June time-frame for products from Winter NAMM to actually appear to distributors and then resellers, that is, if the products ever actually ship in the first place...

Maybe Omega has some NOS (New-Old-Stock) Mi-Si pickups that they want to clear out in order to sell the new version, and that is the how/why this Baton Rouge uke has one at better price pre-installed?

That looks really cool!

Well I just ordered one of those Baton Rouge MiSi Concert Cutaway ukes anyway, as it looked like a good deal - we shall see. :)

It looks alot like the caramels to me. With the wood burned rosette.

the misi site says the air's are now available. anyone know where to get one? I want to try one out in my new to me [thanks Lenny] Koaloha longneck concert.

Very promising. And the fact that it charges in 60 seconds... This sounds like a win win.

the misi site says the air's are now available. anyone know where to get one? I want to try one out in my new to me [thanks Lenny] Koaloha longneck concert.

I just saw that and was about to post the news, good job Andy.

I sent them an email injury about the other new pickup "Air Trio" asking when that will be available. That was just a couple of hours ago so when I get a reply I will post it here.

Last edited:
I just checked all the dealers on their 'Find-A-Dealer' page and could not find any info regarding the new pickup. Many of those web sites also have no search function nor offer online sales. (except Elderly.com)

Also checked several other places that I've bought the Mi-Si Acoustic Trio for Uke, and oddly none of them even show ANY Mi-Si products.

One upon a time Pohaku Ukulele and Mainland Ukes were selling the Acoustic Trio, but I have not checked their sites yet.

We might still be waiting a while for any dealers to get them, but I am hopeful that they reply to DownUpDave's email with some info for us...I have one uke and one guitar that are ready to have the new Air model installed immediately (by me) once I can get the funds together.

One uke will be a tenor Flea, and the guitar is an Art & Lutherie Ami Nylon parlor guitar with a cedar top/cherry back and sides.

On Fluke and Flea ukes, unless you buy direct and opt for the B-Band pickup system to be installed, there's too much risk of drilling into one of the internal braces, or the screws that hold the bridge on...

(the bridge on these ukes is screwed in to the soundboard by screws from the UNDERSIDE, and there's no way to get to them without removing the top, or cutting a hole in the polycarbonate back of the instrument, neither of which is something I'm willing to do)

On these ukes, I've tried a dozen different pre-made soundboard surface transducers, as well as built a few of my own and simply not happy with the sound, regardless if I used a $25 or $500 impedance-matching external preamp.

On the Ami parlor guitar, the setup/string geometry/intonation is absolutely perfect, and I do not want to upset or mess with the saddle or saddle slot, nor suffer the problems with a surface transducer....

So in either case, the Acoustic Air (or whatever it's called when we can actually buy it) would be just perfect for me to try on both instruments. I've already got the hole drilled for the endpin jack, so installation should take no more than like 10 mins if I go real slow....

Waiting with baited breath is an understatement.

I just hope the cost is closer to $100 than $200.

MEMS mic elements can be bought in single qty from electronics parts distributors like BG Micro, Digikey and Mouser for like $2 each, and the Mi-Si Crystal preamp can be had from Elderly for $118 as opposed to the Mi-Si Acoustic Trio with the pickup ribbon for $135 (which is the highest price I've seen it advertised, and I never paid more than $119 for it sans shipping).

I got a very quick response from Yevgeny loffe of Mi-Si Electronics Design. He informed me "Air Trio will not be available yet for another 2-3 weeks - such are the growing pains associated with introducing a completely new product".

It was quite professional of him to respond so quickly with as accurate an answer as he could provide.

I have no idea what the price will be Booli, I never asked him and the price is usually set at the retailer and as you know can vary.

Last edited:
I got a very quick response from Yevgeny loffe of Mi-Si Electronics Design. He informed me "Air Trio will not be available yet for another 2-3 weeks - such are the growing pains associated with introducing a completely new product".

It was quite profeesional of him to respond so quickly with as accurate an answer as he could provide.

I have no idea what the price will be Booli, I never asked him and the price is usually set at the retailer and as you know can vary.

Thanks so much for sharing these details. I would be happy to wait for a product with all the bugs worked out prior to shipping rather than suffer through the alternative.

Their pickups have not let me down thus far, so fingers crossed! :)

So I guess you uninstall and reinstall the whole unit to change the battery?

Top Bottom