Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ukulele Circle of Fifths

Quote Originally Posted by khrome View Post
    SoPS got him! (see my post.)
    Oh dear...

Maybe I shouldn't be messing with the dark paraphenelia of music theory...
    YouTube! Soundclick!
    HEY MIM -> D I C K L E S !
    - John Eller is the Man -
    PM me if I know you and we aren't Facebook friends!

Default In the darkness ... you can smell the fear

Quote Originally Posted by beeejums View Post
    Oh dear...
    Maybe I shouldn't be messing with the dark paraphenelia of music theory...
    Fear not grasshopper, the voodoo of music theory only hurts those who resist. And that, as we know, is futile. You will end up following the rules of western music even if you don't follow no damn rools.

Don't worry about the little mastodon, he knows that bad ole chart will keep him safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Jugert View Post
    Fear not grasshopper, the voodoo of music theory only hurts those who resist. And that, as we know, is futile. You will end up following the rules of western music even if you don't follow no damn rools.

Don't worry about the little mastodon, he knows that bad ole chart will keep him safe.
    You kick ass - this is exactly the type of cheat sheet I have been looking for! Thanks for posting it.

Download my music @ ReverbNation
    Shameless plug for my videos.

this is an excellent resource! thanks for sharing Gary!

This is a cool resource. Thanks!

I've been (on and off) working on something a bit similar, actually. Mine's a lot more stripped down though--basically a simple chord chart that happens to be arranged in a circle of fifths instead of "alphabetical" order (none of the key signature and relative minor stuff... or mastadons). If I ever get around to finishing it, I'll post it too.

JJ
    "Talent is just a pursued interest. In other words, anything you are willing to practice, you can do." -- Bob Ross

hi

i think it may be wrong !

in the sections designated for the keys ( c , g , d , a , e , etc ) every key seems to have a dominant seventh . thats all well and good but i thought that the best dominant seventh for C major would be G7 ( not C7 as that is in a different key) , G major would have D7 , D major would have A7 etc . thats what the circle of fifths is all about isnt it ?

circle of 5ths

c is the starting key as it has no sharps or flats. count five from C - cdefG - so G major is your next key - now the notes are GABCDEFG - the leading note ( the 7th in the scale has to be sharpened to allow the scale to be regular major , so G A B C D E F# G is the new key .

count five from G

GABCD

D is the new key - sharpen the 7th - DEF#GABC#D

whats next ?

that the way i see the circle of 5ths - id obviosly like to know more - so if anyone knows anything ..........

circle of fourths works in a similar way .

Yeah...this is totally awesome!

..but the elephant keeps telling me "to do things."

Default You're Right ... but

You're absolutely right that the dominant 7th chords shown aren't typically a part of a circle of fifths layout.

But as a songwriter, you know that you're going to use them. I placed them onto this circle of fifths so I wouldn't have to go look up the fingering for Ab7 or other less-used 7th chords.

In other words, I added the fingerings for the 7ths because I'm lazy ... AND because you can almost always replace the fifth of your key with a fifth in the dominant 7th.

If your song is in C, you'll likely be playing C, F, Am, and G (or G7). I put the G7 fingering next to the G so it's easy to find and can substitute if my song needs it. And my songs need all the help they can get.

This is stuff my instructor gave me as homework...if he catches me with this printed out I'm in trouble... (file...print...)
    1:99
    The PoHo Store

We've got a ukulele cool that can't be faked. -hoosierhiver
    ...if being a good person was easy no one would be a dick. -skitzic
    I have no issues with bluntness, but being an asshat is not being blunt, it's just being an asshat. -austin1

thanks, Gary. i'm gonna get it laminated and put it in my notebook.

Thread Information