Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ukulele Circle of Fifths

Default A Google Report

The other day I decided to try one of my ukulele songs on my guitar (yuck). I couldn't remember how to form a couple of chords and I hate my "ultimate guitar chord chart" because it's loaded with chords I'll never use. I did an image search on Google to see if I could find a circle of fifths for guitar like the one we have here. I looked around the internet for awhile but never found one with chord charts. I guess that'll be my next project. On a lark, I decided to type in Ukulele Circle of Fifths as an image search and sure enough good ole Ukulele Underground shows up first. Ukulele composers from around the world have to come to us for the goods.

Glad you find it helpful Superfly. Hope you don't get in trouble with your instructor bbycrts!!
    Last edited by Gary Jugert; 04-22-2009 at 03:24 AM.

That is a great tool. Love the mammoth
    Ukes Crazy!

Default Circle

THX for the effort you put in on this. Lots of guitar info out there, but I've never run into a Uke Circle. Great job.

Default Changed Db to C#

I changed the Db markings to C# since it made a little more sense that way. Everything else is the same. I've been using this to teach ukulele to some friends and it seems to be a good tool. Back to working on 9th, 11ths and 13ths.

Giving this old thread a bump because there are probably a lot of folks here who haven't seen it. I've spent the day somewhat immersed in the circle of fifths and was looking for a nice one to print out - and here it is

All that seems pretty simple to use, but what about those other "weird" chords not on the the chart? Is there some simple way to know when to use them?

Here is an example. I am looking at the sheet music for "Imagine" in the key of G. first few notes and chords are:

Code:
    G       Gmaj7  C
    -------------------------
    --------2-2----0---------
    2-2-2-2------------------
    ------------------------
    The Gmaj7 chord isn't on the simple circle of fifths chart. I suppose you could just keep playing the G until you get to the C, but it sure sounds better with the Gmaj7 when you play those two F# notes.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetWaterBlue View Post
    All that seems pretty simple to use, but what about those other "weird" chords not on the the chart? Is there some simple way to know when to use them?
    Hopefully someone with a stronger understanding of theory can weigh in on this, but - from what I learned today, if I am understanding correctly, there isn't one single "correct" way to know when to use them. The chart includes major, minor, and 7ths which are probably the most common, but you can also sub 6ths, 9ths, 13ths, diminished, etc. if they sound right.

Ummmm. I think. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong!

I did find an interesting conversation on Major Seventh chords on a guitar forum Here . Some notable quotes from there included:

Use Maj7 chords when being sensitive.
    They're the best for meeting girls.
    Dim chords are OK, but not quite as good.
    If you use BOTH at a gig, charge extra.
    Chords like that don't come cheap.

and

About 30 years ago (yikes), I was on a country recording session with steel guitar great Jimmy Day.
    I had just learned a few "jazz" chords and was eager to show them off.
    Jimmy told me "There's no major 7ths in country music".

Ooops. Sorry to hijack the thread - back to the circle of 5ths.
    Last edited by SweetWaterBlue; 04-30-2011 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetWaterBlue View Post
    Use Maj7 chords when being sensitive.
    They're the best for meeting girls.
    Dim chords are OK, but not quite as good.
    If you use BOTH at a gig, charge extra.
    Chords like that don't come cheap.
    I had to click over to that forum because it seemed that it could be entertaining reading... it was

Quote Originally Posted by janeray1940 View Post
    Hopefully someone with a stronger understanding of theory can weigh in on this, but - from what I learned today, if I am understanding correctly, there isn't one single "correct" way to know when to use them. The chart includes major, minor, and 7ths which are probably the most common, but you can also sub 6ths, 9ths, 13ths, diminished, etc. if they sound right.

Ummmm. I think. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong!
    I'm no expert on theory either, but I think you're certainly correct that what really matters is if it sounds right.

One of my songs uses a modified circle of fifths, where I start off on Bbmaj7, and then descend through the circle mostly using minor sevenths. To spice it up, I threw in a diminished passing chord, and then an F7sus4 before returning to the Bbmaj7.

Bbmaj7 Am7b5 Dm7 Gm7 Bdim Cm7 F6 F7sus4 Bbmaj7

I just uploaded a version of this song as a "get well" video for Musicguymic. Here's a link to that thread:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/fo...432#post672432

Or direct to YT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EehGHPUBGuM
    Last edited by Dougf; 05-02-2011 at 10:23 AM.

Thread Information