With a Little Help From My Friends

Steveperrywriter

Reaction score
I have been much favored by the ukulele gods -- I now own a handful of outstanding instruments, all better than I deserve.

At the risk of being considered a heretic, I have too many.

My feeling is, if I am going to keep an expensive musical instrument, I need to play it. Once I get past a certain number, that is going be iffy.

Maybe that's just me.

So, here's the deal ...

I am going to offer a contest. The winner will get one of my flock, and it's a honey of a player:

Made by Woodley White, on the Big Island, it is an all-koa, 14-to-the-body tenor, now strung low-G, an Ukulele Pu’uwai. I think it is probably a Spanish Cedar neck, ebony fretboard, and rosewood binding, some kind of blue wood purfling, paua shell rosette and fretboard markers, including side dots, and a little stylized-heart inlay in the ebony-veneer headstock. Bone nut and saddle, Gilbert-style bridge, with Grover closed-back tuners.

This is not a new axe, it was made in 2010, and I got it in 2013. It has been well-cared for, but it has a few dings and scratches. Sometimes the bass string rattles, and probably fiddling with that nut slot wouldn't hurt. It has opened up, and it sounds great. I expect I might could get a grand for it, given that the current basic model runs about $2500.

Comes with a K&K Twin pick-up. And a hardshell case.

Ideally, this would go to a dedicated player who is better than his or her current instrument, but who can't afford the step up. That might happen, might not.

Why would I give away an ukulele that I could easily sell?

Like I said, I have been favored, and I feel as if I should pay it forward. The uke is too good to spend its days in a case in the closet. Got to be somebody out there who will appreciate it.

The Contest: With a Little Help From My Friends

Play a Beatle song. One that was performed by (any, or all of,) the Beatles while they were still recording as the Beatles. You have about three hundred from which to choose.

You can sing along, or keep it instrumental, but it's just you and your ukulele. No overdubs, no doubling tracks, no back-up singers, no other instrumentalists. You can adjust your mike and EQ it a little, but if that is the first thing anybody notices, it's too much. One person, one ukulele, one song, simple. You can play it in your bedroom, or on a seashore, or a mountain top, wherever, doesn't matter.

Anybody can enter, working pro or newbie. One entry per player, submissions limited to two weeks, beginning on February 1st, and ending at midnight, U.S. West Coast time, on Valentine's Day. You have a few days to think about what you want to do, time to practice and get a clean recording.

Post your video or a link to it here, starting on February 1st, 2016. Do it to entertain people, and make us feel the music. Age, sex, race, nationality, none of that matters -- the one who moves me the most wins.

Good luck.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

September In The Rain

This is one of the songs recorded by the Beatles during their Decca audition of January 1, 1962. Decca rejected them, saying "guitar groups are on the way out".

First day done. Thanks to:

Dougf, September in the Rain.
Pabrizzer, Can't Buy Me Love.
Mountain Goat, Rocky Raccoon.

Fun videos, folks.

When I saw this theme, I had the following thoughts.

1. I know a Beatles song!
2. But it's the most basic song ever and just screams beginner...
3. But I AM a beginner, so why not roll with it?
4. Did he say mountain top?

Anyway, now that I've recorded it I've learned a few things about wind noise on mountain tops. Oh well... I'd better let it be, I suppose...

Credit for the arrangement goes to Jeff Thomas who taught me for a while when I could afford to pay for lessons.

Last edited:
Robin, this is beautifully played and sung. Where are you, brother?
Amazed the sound was as good as it was, actually.
Outdoor recording for me with my 50 buck camera is banned!!!
Even a breath of wind ****s it up!
Sweet stuff mate.

I have a little $30 GoMic and I drape a little thin cloth (glasses cleaner rag) over the mic. Works for me!

Robin, this is beautifully played and sung. Where are you, brother?
Amazed the sound was as good as it was, actually.
Outdoor recording for me with my 50 buck camera is banned!!!
Even a breath of wind ****s it up!
Sweet stuff mate.

Hey Jon. Thanks. living in Kingston, but recorded this at the top of Mt. Wellington. It was beautiful weather up there yesterday, but I got eaten alive by mozzies. I might try what Linda suggested. I've just been using my GoPro because it's what I have, but it's not really designed for recording sound.

This one was written by Paul for Cilla Black, and recorded by The Beatles during the White Album sessions. It finally appeared on Anthology 3 in 1996.

Easiest way for me is to post the video on YouTube, copy the link, and attach that to a posting here. If you do it correctly, the video will appear in the post.

can I do "you're 16..." It's really a hit for Ringo, and Paul played on it, but I'm not sure about any others?

can I do "you're 16..." It's really a hit for Ringo, and Paul played on it, but I'm not sure about any others?

This one is tricky. Paul did play on this track, and George and John also played on the album, along with several other rock greats. But the cut-off was from when they were still playing and recording as the Beatles, and Ringo's release was three years after the break-up. If you can find anthing to show they sang it together before they split? That would make it allowable.

Last edited:
This one is tricky. Paul did play on this track, and George and John also played on the album, along with several other rock greats. But the cut-off was from when they were still playing and recordimg as the Beatles, and Ringo's release was three years after the break-up. If you can find anthing to show they sang it together before they split? That would make it allowable.
that's ok. they played [and wrote] plenty of songs. I was practicing this for a talent[less] show tomorrow and thought I'd record it. I'll pick another one.

Top Bottom