With a Little Help From My Friends

Hi, guys! I'm new here and I didn't record this cover especially for this contest, but I guess it qualifies. Cheers!

This one was written by Paul for Cilla Black, and recorded by The Beatles during the White Album sessions. It finally appeared on Anthology 3 in 1996.
Thanks for this great performance, Steve - I never knew this was a McCartney/Beatles song before today. I really like your version.

this one should work, from Rubber Soul, 1965. credited to Paul and John, but Paul wrote it . Maybe to work out his frustration with his rejection by Jane Asher. [she seems to have had good reason]

That's a very generous offer of a contest, Steve! I'm a newbie here, a uke nut from Michigan, and I love making music for all ages (especially kids). I'm a huge Beatles fan too, so took this opportunity to work up one of my favorites. Hope you all enjoy!

wow great Videos on here. Really want to make me try and do one. But I have only been a member for a couple of days now and been playing for about a week, I may need to weeks to be able to beat all these guys :rotfl: But in reality it is making me put in more practice time.

This thread is fun! :) I hope the uke goes to someone who really appreciates it.

Voice effect?

Hi, guys! I'm new here and I didn't record this cover especially for this contest, but I guess it qualifies. Cheers!

What kind of voice effect is that? it makes you sound a lot like the original.

Chorus... I know there weren't suppose to be too much effects, but I recorded this cover before I knew about this contest. :) And I think it's a nice touch, makes it sound more like the original.

This is cool, so thanks, Steve. Hoping for some (needed) bonus points for using a Kamaka :eek:

I've noticed that you need some women here. I love playing Beatles music so I thought I would jump in on the fun. Maybe this will inspire some other females to try a Beatles number. I'm still trying to get past this chest cold but Im running to of time with only 5 days left. I have a busy week so here it is.

AND I LOVE HER: Here's my entry for the 'With A Little Help From My Friends" contest. I recorded this on an Ohana BK35G baritone uke, tuned gCEA like a tenor, with Guadalupe Custom Strings, and straight into the external mic of my ipad with no effects or EQ, in my classroom this morning (so you may hear a slight echo). This is my own arrangement for ukulele in Am, inspired by Pat Metheny's guitar version in Gm on YouTube.

Last edited:
Sorry, but I don't know what at 'Insert Video button' is or where it is. Can you explain, please?
Looks like you found it! In case you got your video to appear some other way, the Insert Video button is the second one in from the right when you are editing a message.
And now I will delete my duplicate of your video.

I can't believe I've never known about this website! I've been playing ukulele for the last 7 or 8 years and read about this site from a facebook group I joined not too long ago.
Here's my instrumental arrangement of Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, the first Beatles song I ever heard, on my Ibanez concert uke. I really enjoyed listening to all the other performances here!

Thanks for the latest entries, folks, you are doing good!

As of this moment, I show sixteen entries -- though one has gone away, the user closed his YouTube account. I have seen it a few times, but it would be nice to be able to access it again, to give it a fair chance.

For those who might be interested in my process, this is what I am doing:

I watch each submission at least three times. Once, on an iPad, using headphones; the second time, on my desktop computer, which has a fair-sized screen, the sound run through a pair of small, but pretty good, Logitech speakers. The third is streamed to my TV from YouTube, through a Samsung soundbar with a separate bass speaker.

Each method has its pluses-and-minuses. The sound is, to my ears, cleanest through the headphones, but the iPad image is necessarily small. The best images are on the TV, sound still pretty good. The visuals and aurals are both decent on the computer. Taking an average of the three should give me, I believe, a fair way to judge. I can hear, I can see, and I can crank the volume up enough to feel.

Stay tuned …

Last edited:
I can't believe I've never known about this website! I've been playing ukulele for the last 7 or 8 years and read about this site from a facebook group I joined not too long ago.
Here's my instrumental arrangement of Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, the first Beatles song I ever heard, on my Ibanez concert uke. I really enjoyed listening to all the other performances here!

I really enjoyed your fine playing here + you have other excellent videos on YouTube. Good luck in the contest!

Thank you for the opportunity!
I actually bought a simple ukulele to my kids and have just started to play around with it. It is so much fun! This is an attempt by a rookie to use the instrumnet and also I made my own version of the song since I have yet to learn chords and all on the ukulele. So basicly I "borrowed" my kids ukulele and tried to play "Here comes the sun". It is quite a wonderful instrument, so small in size, so big in possibilities.
I hope you at least enjoy some of it.

Best regards Nome

Last edited:
Top Bottom