eBay driving me nuts

Timbuck

Reaction score
As you know I use eBay to sell my ukes....But! every 10 days or so I get this massage from eBay ..Unauthorized use of your account -- action required I then have to go through the procedure of dreaming up a new password that I have not used before and worst of all finding a password I can remember:( ..I thought that if i use a strong password then this problem will go away. So I made up a super Inigma Code type password containing upper and lower case letters and numbers that would have confounded Alan Turin & Bletchley Park...and 10 days later I get this again:mad:
Unauthorized use of your account -- action required :confused:

Ken,
are you sure this is from Ebay, and not someone fishing for your details?
h

Ken, are you getting these messages through Ebay or email? If it's email then definitely sounds like a Phishing scam. Be careful.

Ken, are you getting these messages through Ebay or email? If it's email then definitely sounds like a Phishing scam. Be careful.
Defo eBay..When I try using my present password it won't let me log in .. My Son has the same problem..eBay comfirms change of password on their site afterwards every time.

Last edited:
I never pay attention to any email like that. I go directly to the my eBay message section and see if the same notification is there. If it is I take action. If not I know the email is a scam. Never click on any link in an email. Always go directly to the source site and log in from there.

Paypal froze my account a while back. They wanted me to prove my identity with copies of my id and some utility bills. I sent whatever they dreamed of asking and it didn't work. I had to call them (in India or someplace) and discuss at length why I sometimes had money on my account. They even checked my uke blog while we talked before they were convinced I didn't launder money for Al-Shabab or Daesh. Very courteous throughout, but going by some damn book I never read.

Defo eBay..When I try using my present password it won't let me log in .. My Son has the same problem..eBay comfirms change of password on their site afterwards every time.

Sounds like you may have some malware on your home computer that is harvesting your password details and forwarding them to wherever these things go ... do you have any current anti-virus and/or anti malware software running on your computer?

Is it possible for eBay to forward you details of this alledged "unauthorised use" to see if there's any pattern to it?

Before anyone asks ...yes, I am an IT professional and no I'm not offering any solutions, for free or otherwise ... just making a couple of helpful suggestions ;)

Presumably your son is using the same computer, and if so, would support kypfer's suspicions that you may have some keylogging malware. Are you able to use another (clean) pc, temporarily until the malware is detected and removed?

Ken, there are a few free programs out there that help detect malware and other maybe harmful programs that may have found their way onto your computer. One is Malwarebytes https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/
and Super Anti Spyware is another http://www.superantispyware.com/
They are free downloads and I only get them DIRECTLY from the makers as the other sites that give them out have strings attached.
They work pretty well

Ken, there are a few free programs out there that help detect malware and other maybe harmful programs that may have found their way onto your computer. One is Malwarebytes https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/
and Super Anti Spyware is another http://www.superantispyware.com/
They are free downloads and I only get them DIRECTLY from the makers as the other sites that give them out have strings attached. .
They work pretty well
Thanks for the info we have one running at the moment..its detected 41 objects so far.

Last edited:
I received one of those phone calls, the type that tells you that you have a problem with your computer and the nice chap is going to tell you how to fix it.
I led him a merry dance for a good 10 minutes or so, pretending I didn't know where start was on my Windowz pc. He was increasingly becoming irate so I suddenly declared that I'd found it. Then I messed around trying to find the next instruction for a good 5 minutes. He kept asking me what I was seeing on my screen. I then got bored and told him it said Linux Mint. That's when he hung up!

Yes it sounds like regular phishing as noted previously, or malware, especially as it is regular. eBay doesn't have time to do that.

Try Reverb!

I do EXACTLY the same... I make it a game, acting stupid etc.... Eventually I ask why I can't find the start button on my Mac.... They get proper cross!

I consider that the longer they are tied up on the phone to me, the less time they have to 'actually' scam someone else! bas****s

I received one of those phone calls, the type that tells you that you have a problem with your computer and the nice chap is going to tell you how to fix it.
I led him a merry dance for a good 10 minutes or so, pretending I didn't know where start was on my Windowz pc. He was increasingly becoming irate so I suddenly declared that I'd found it. Then I messed around trying to find the next instruction for a good 5 minutes. He kept asking me what I was seeing on my screen. I then got bored and told him it said Linux Mint. That's when he hung up!

I used to work in computers so I ask them all sorts of technical questions like what the name is of the file causing the problem, what type of file it is and the process they go through to identify and remove the malware. Of course they're just the callers so they don't have a clue how to answer the questions. After about 10 minutes I start asking about their family and where they live and what the weather's like. They soon hang up.
Miguel

I've run them in circles also, makes me feel really good that I may have prevented them in that time from duping someone.

Top Bottom