Blackbird Tenor eKoa Uke (Farallon)

Fixedgear60

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Just checking in to see if anyone has seen or heard the NEW Blackbird Tenor eKoa Uke (Farallon) that was announced at 2016 NAMM last week. I am a big fan of blackbirds' ukes and have already reached out to Joe to pre-order.

https://blackbirdguitar.com/content/farallon-launched-first-ekoa-linen-fiber-tenor-uke

Is anyone as excited about it as I am????

Will keep everyone posted as production will be starting early this spring....

Hi Everyone,

Just checking in to see if anyone has seen or heard the NEW Blackbird Tenor eKoa Uke (Farallon) that was announced at 2016 NAMM last week. I am a big fan of blackbirds' ukes and have already reached out to Joe to pre-order.

https://blackbirdguitar.com/content/farallon-launched-first-ekoa-linen-fiber-tenor-uke

Is anyone as excited about it as I am????

Will keep everyone posted as production will be starting early this spring....

Just in case you've not seen them, over the past week there's already been some discussion in 3-4 different threads regarding this instrument, and someone posted a link to a video on Vimeo, when Andrew Kitakis from HMS went to visit Blackbird, and the owner Joe Luttwak, but I dont have any links handy.

You can search for Farallon or Blackbird and I'm sure you'll find the threads.

I would like to play one to see how it sounds and feels, but the price is a bit steep for my budget.

Thanks everyone... should have know you where all on top of this. I own both the BTU and Clara but sold the Clara because of scale and thought the sound was muted. I love the BTU's big and broad sound but have a hankering for a more traditional tenor uke. Almost pulled the trigger on a used Martin IZ... but could not deal with all the hydration and putting it away after every play. I will not own a uke I can not leave out .. just love looking at them as much as playing them. Out of sight out of mind for me.... Have my trustie outdoor tenor uke for travel that works good enough...

I am hoping that the (Farallon) fits the bill.. Joe is also expanding pickup options to K&K passive pickups which is also good news!!!! Will have my bases covered with the futuristic BTU, Traditional Farallon, and outdoor uke for just kicking around....

That's the current theory anyway.... Spring is coming soon... I hope here in New England!!!

Last edited:
Just waiting to hear a few more samples in high g. I want one..... Exchange is putting a damper on my enthusiasm but may just have to bit the bullet. I suspect that as soon as dealers like HMS get their hands on some stock we will hear more samples and some early buyer reviews. I want , no need a Farallon Ikoa for travel. Love the traditional shape and want the versatility of taking it anywhere and not worrying about hydration. Next up, I'd like to know which HSC fits the Farallon........

Hi Everyone,

My local dealer has 8 on order before NAMM and one has my name on it... :). Will keep everyone posted when they come in.

Chris

Great find GUD, I really liked the sound. I asked Ken of it was plugged into the amp and if not how was it recorded. Sounded almost too lush to be a raw recording. If that's how it sounds straight out of the box...............well hello new camping uke.

Great find GUD, I really liked the sound. I asked Ken of it was plugged into the amp and if not how was it recorded. Sounded almost too lush to be a raw recording. If that's how it sounds straight out of the box...............well hello new camping uke.

Ken was very quick to reply, really great guy. He confirmed it was NOT plugged in and he recorded it with his Zoom H4n. Oh no............I was not even interested in one till I heard this recording. Maybe it is because I like the song and Ken is such a good player......yea that's it :eek:

Blackbird had the first two production Farallon ekoa tenor ukes at the Reno Ukulele Festival last week. Beautiful sound and a joy to play. Steven Espaniola played one at the Open Mic stage and it sounded wonderful. He seemed impressed with the tone and projection - his only complaint being that the action was a bit high but otherwise very smooth. I thought the finish seemed a bit rough, almost with an "orange peel" to it and very visible. I thought it was a spray finish but Joe said no, that it's an epoxy finish and that they were working on it. He was uncertain if they would eventually settle for a very slight gloss or a flat finish like the Clara. Sounds like they're still tweaking things a bit. Shipments are scheduled for July, according to Joe. I played some really nice high-end ukuleles there in Reno and have to admit that the Farallon sounds as nice as any of them I tried. If the slots were nicer to me at the Nugget I certainly would have ordered a Farallon on the spot!

Just got a Clara, and would love to get a Farallon. Can't wait for UUers to get some

I would really like to see your review and some sound samples on the Farallon Tenor after you've had some time to get used to it. Its on my radar and saving for it. Did you order low G or High g?

I would really like to see your review and some sound samples on the Farallon Tenor after you've had some time to get used to it. Its on my radar and saving for it. Did you order low G or High g?

Will do. I ordered a low G with the Misi/Fishman pickup.

Top Bottom