Next build (number 6)

4strings4me

Reaction score
Hey there UU! I thought I would post pics of/during my next build. Hopefully I will get some good/constructive feedback along the process.

At is point not very far along other than a bunch of rough cuts. He first biggest hurtle was simply deciding what wood I wanted to use from my stash! Lol.

Rough cuts:
image.jpg

For this one I am going to go with some;
-top-curly redwood (I have been sitting on this, just waiting to use!)
-back and sides-bubinga (still on the fence with this decision)
-neck-sapele
-bracing-spruce
-lining-sapele
-fret board and bridge-rose wood
-binding-curly mango (this would change if I end up god for mango for back and sides obviously)

I guess first off what do you think of the wood selection? i do have some mango and am curious to any bodies thoughts for using it as back and sides instead of the bubinga. I haven't used either wood but both seem like they have decent tonal qualities and look pretty too. I think the mango is a little more flashy especially since it is curly and splalted to some degree.

Here is the mango is have.
image.jpg
I'd like to hear any bodies two cents on the two woods, experience or even just personal opinions?

If anybody has any pointers on makin the pics bigger and maybe why they got rotated after posting too, hat would be much appreciated?!?

i'm a slut for the mango. it's really pretty. i would kick myself for two years if i didn't use it.

I say it sounds like you are having a lot of fun with wood. I say go for it whatever. It will look and sound like you imagined. Now as to putting all these pieces of wood together. Now there is the rub. Aye, there is the rub.. I'm currently building a koa, mahogany, maple, myrtle and rosewood uke and I'm not sure these woods go together, but I have high hopes and I'm having a ball so what the hell. Go for it.

Babinga is an absolute bear to bend. At least all the set's I've had. And extremely hard and brittle. If you aren't up to scratch on bending I'd hold off on using it.

Mango and Indian Rosewood is a nice combo.

The fourth uke I built was Curly Chocolate Mango (sounds like a yogurt flavor) for the back, sides, top and headplate and I was extremely happy with the results. It has a Mahogany neck, wenge fretboard and bridge and ebony bindings.
Mango Tenor Uke #005 049.jpgMango Tenor Uke #005 058.jpgMango Tenor Uke #005 054.jpgMango Tenor Uke #005 057.jpg

My next uke (when I get to it) will be Spalted Waterfall Bubinga for the back and sides with Sitka Spruce top, ebony fretboard and bridge I'm leaning toward a laminated maple/bubinga neck with a slotted head and possibly a six-stringer.

Waterfall bubinga set.jpg

Well slowly but surely I am moving along wit this one. Front and back plates have been joined together and rough cut.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Back bracing rough cut and glued up. This one will have a 12' radius on he backside. I wasn't planing on it but I went ahead and added a really simple rosette (mango and bubinga).
image.jpg
image.jpg

After hearing the comment about bending bubinga I was a little nervous but didn't have anything to lose but a couple small pieces of wood. I still had some more from the same billet so a failure would just be a learning curve IMO.
image.jpg
Needless to say everything went perfect! I just cranked up the heat a little more (heat mat was set for 190c), that coupled with patience seemed to work great.

Thought I would post some progress again. Made a bit of progress...he entire build has gone fairly smooth until I started installing frets on the feet board. Some how even afte double/triple checking things before cutting somewhere around the 6th and 7th fret I miss cut their positions...ugh! After another round I got it this time.

Some pics
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I will post more later. Currently just started applying a finish.

Looks great. Interesting that you didn't cut out the sound-hole before gluing on the top. No problem I guess. Just a different approach. Whatever works...

I am still learning as I go. I really have never been taught or even shown how to do this by anyone who knows how. It's all been a learning curve and I agree probably will start cutting the sound hole completely before hand...if a doctor was taking my pulse/blood pressure while I was doing that cut they probably would have been ready to right me a prescription! My heart was pounding and the only thought in my head was "I CAN NOT MESS THIS UP NOW...OMG!!"

But it all went well.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

If I can get the time I will string it up real soon!!

...if a doctor was taking my pulse/blood pressure while I was doing that cut they probably would have been ready to right me a prescription! My heart was pounding and the only thought in my head was "I CAN NOT MESS THIS UP NOW...OMG!!"

I know what you are saying. There are certain operations that don't allow for screw ups. Any good military general knows that before going into battle one must always know what your lines of retreat are if things start to go bad. Sometimes there are some operations on the uke where there are no lines of retreat and there are no do-overs. Time to focus. Banzai!

That is one fine looking ukulele. Love the tiger stripes. My kinda wood. Gonna sound great. Have fun playing it.

Top Bottom