New Uke Day - Talsma Custom 3M Concert

WCBarnes

Reaction score
When I first started playing the ukulele the music store where my daughter was taking drum lessons had a vintage Martin style 3 on display. I was taken with how simple and elegant the design was. I knew I wanted one. As I advanced in my playing and began to figure out that the concert scale was my preferred scale length. This would make finding a vintage style 3 in my preferred size rather difficult.

About a year and a half ago RichM posted a NUD for a custom Talsma 3K he just received. It was absolutely stunning! And a concert size no less! After reading his post and doing a little further research I reached out to Dave. I found him very easy to communicate with and his vintage replicas are second to none. I had to re-prioritize my spending, but at least now I had a direction/goal. This past October I placed the order and then the hard part... waiting! The wait ended on Friday and I was presented with the most beautiful uke I have ever seen! Dave nailed it and I couldn't be happier! The sound is wonderful and it is a dream to play. I will do a more in-depth review after I have had some time to really get to know it.

3M1.jpg3M2.jpg

Stunning! Congratulations

Wonderful! I'm glad my uke inspired you to get one of your own. Dave does beautiful work (and I envy your one piece top!). Play it in good health!

Gorgeous! You're a lucky guy! I have one of Dave's ukes and it's a wonderful instrument.

Wow. That's pretty.
I was lucky in that I got to try a Talsma once. It had a lovely sound.

Beautiful. You ought to post a video playing it.

Wow! Congrats! I didn't know he could replicate like that. Now I want one.:drool:

Congratulations! Such an elegant instrument. And if you ordered it in October, that is a super short wait for an instrument of that quality. Many custom builders have waits of 8-12+ months.

Man that is pure tophat and tails.......very classy looking. Congratulations on an outstanding instrument, the wait was obviously worth it

Congratulations. Dave's work is as good as anyone's. Big fan, here.

What a beautiful 'ukulele. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the compliments! Dave does an amazing job! I haven't been able to put it down since it got here! It is currently strung with Freemonts. This is my first experience with them and I am not quite sure what I think yet... I will keep them on there for a month or so before I decide.

Beautiful. You ought to post a video playing it.

I am planning on putting something up soon.

Wow! Congrats! I didn't know he could replicate like that. Now I want one.:drool:

That was me when I first saw RichM (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?99702-New-Uke-Day-Dave-Talsma-Custom-3K-Concert&highlight=talsma) and MattyDee's (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?78171-New-Uke-Day-Talsma-Custom!&highlight=talsma) Talsmas! I knew I had to have one!!!

Congratulations! Such an elegant instrument. And if you ordered it in October, that is a super short wait for an instrument of that quality. Many custom builders have waits of 8-12+ months.

I was shocked too Eddie! I was expecting a year or so wait. I contacted him in July or August and he said he didn't build in the summer and to contact him in September. I was out of the country in September and reached out when I got back in October and he was ready to start!

Wonderful! I'm glad my uke inspired you to get one of your own. Dave does beautiful work (and I envy your one piece top!). Play it in good health!

I was very happy with the one piece top! Thanks again Rich! If it wasn't for your post I wouldn't have this wonderful ukulele!

Last edited:
Fantastic uke. I want. What's up with that bridge? It doesn't look like a slot, tie or pegged. It looks nice though.

Top Bottom