Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 'Kmise' ukulele, anyone?

Aklot is also made by Kmise. Aklot just released a Bamboo Ukulele, and a number of sites (not mine) were contacted by Aklot to review it. It has "Designed by Aklot" on the soundboard, which a number of us commented about on those videos--and Aklot wrote some comments and let people know that on the next batch they would remove it. The Bamboo is about $120 and only in tenor at this time.

I was part of the original Aklot AKC-23 review debacle; I still like the instrument (although it's been sent to a niece), and I also have one of the Spruce top (supposed to be solid, but sure looks like laminate) ukuleles (or more accurately, it is my wife's--although she doesn't play it).

Another teacher I know in the UK uses Kmise for her students, and speaks very favorably of them.
    My ukulele blog: http://ukestuff.info

My ukulele YouTube channels:

If you watch some of Bernadette's unboxings, it would appear that Enya/Kaka/Kmise/Aklot are all the same. Probably others as well.

I ordered a super cheap uke direct from Kmise and it arrived in just the trapezoidal box, with the neck coming unglued due to the hot weather. They immediately refunded my money, but I guess the reason it was so cheap was because glue and the fretboard extension were all that was keeping the neck on. Not even a piece of doweling. So their construction practices seem to be as all over the map as their name.

Quote Originally Posted by Choirguy View Post
    Aklot is also made by Kmise. Aklot just released a Bamboo Ukulele, and a number of sites (not mine) were contacted by Aklot to review it. It has "Designed by Aklot" on the soundboard, which a number of us commented about on those videos--and Aklot wrote some comments and let people know that on the next batch they would remove it. The Bamboo is about $120 and only in tenor at this time.

I was part of the original Aklot AKC-23 review debacle; I still like the instrument (although it's been sent to a niece), and I also have one of the Spruce top (supposed to be solid, but sure looks like laminate) ukuleles (or more accurately, it is my wife's--although she doesn't play it).

Another teacher I know in the UK uses Kmise for her students, and speaks very favorably of them.

I've had very good experience's with Kmise ukuleles purchased through Amazon.
    Set up has been perfect, good strings, I believe they are Daarrio FC's. And no issues with damage in shipping.
    I'v bough two laminate tenors, one to gift and one keeper.
    Several coworkers bought the same model on my recommendation.
    Good ukulele for the money, IMO.
    I'd like to try one of their baritones, but really don't need another.
    Playing my Magic Fluke and grinning like a fool!

Quote Originally Posted by Choirguy View Post
    I was part of the original Aklot AKC-23 review debacle;
    Debacle as in the print on the body, or something more sinister? I'm very very close to ordering one on eBay. I don't think that print detracts from the uke, though I've only seen it in pictures obviously.

I recently got kmise concert as my first uke great value for money sounds good well built, but after only 1 month I am looking at better ukes , another option is a cheap second hand MAkala dolphin then get something better .

My concern is that I don't have a job so can't really justify much money, and also whether I will stick with it and put in the time to practice. I played trumpet as a kid and hated practicing - I didn't have the patience and just wanted to play songs straight away.

I played guitar before, there are 4 main cords you can pick up quickly and play some songs but you will need to practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger uke View Post
    I played guitar before, there are 4 main cords you can pick up quickly and play some songs but you will need to practice.
    I feel like the initial learning curve for a uke is a lot shallower than a trumpet - that's nothing to say for actually being able to play it well, just the ability to circumvent long notes and scales to a degree for fun chords and rusty-sounding tunes

Quote Originally Posted by strumsilly View Post
    I don't know if they are selling this cheap to generate sales and then the price will go up. But that is what happened with the Islanders Amazon was selling.
    $50 seems like a bargain for us in North America or Europe, where wages are high. But we should keep in mind that the materials used for these ukes cost them pennies, and the overall cost to produce them is around two to three dollars a unit. So in other words, the margins on these things are enormous and with direct bulk shipping from the warehouses the owners of these brands are making an easy fortune.

$43.99 with free shipping! This one says it is a tenor with a solid mahogany top. I like the first review, he says it sounds like his $1000.00 Kanilea K1.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D8HO3MW..._13oLDb14E65QM
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 10-08-2019 at 11:14 AM.
    John

Thread Information