Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 'Kmise' ukulele, anyone?

I grabbed one of the Kmise mahogany tenors, the one in my post above, for $43.99 including shipping, mine is the 5th shown of 6. Model number inside the sound hole is KMA26T. It's pretty nice, sounds and plays well, perky, chimey reentrant sound, and I notice it vibrates into my body when played. Surprisingly, it has an arched back, with back braces inside, not a molded arch back with no braces, as some have said. Also a tie bar bridge, not string-thru like some of the others shown. This one is pretty much what I'd hoped for in an inexpensive tenor, it seems worth way more than $43.99. IMO, it is equal to many much more expensive Kalas and Ohanas that I have played.

I pretty much agree with most everything that was mentioned in this review: http://www.ianchadwick.com/blog/kmis...aklot-ukuleles. Would I like wider than 1 3/8" nut? Sure, but it's hard to argue with such a good sounding/playing solid-top tenor uke for $43.99!

Here/s a short vid of my KMA26T: https://youtu.be/HfxeTopa8Eo
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 10-08-2019 at 03:45 PM.
    John

Default Kmise update

Update: the claim of a solid mahogany body is not accurate. With a jewelers loupe, and no body binding, the laminate top and back can clearly be seen at the edges. I was unsure at the soundhole at first, with a dark stain there. I can't get a closeup pic, but see my drawing below of what I see at the edges under magnification.

Kmise is telling some whoppers with claims of a solid mahogany body in the top description. In the lower description, they say solid top, lam B&S. However, the rest of that description is way off too for this particular model; this one has no binding, no abalone, and open geared tuners. Someone not paying attention over there. I could send it back based on all the misinformation, but still a good value at the low price.

KMA26T.JPG

A7 description.JPG

Tenor top.jpg
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 10-08-2019 at 04:26 PM.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by azairvine View Post
    Debacle as in the print on the body, or something more sinister? I'm very very close to ordering one on eBay. I don't think that print detracts from the uke, though I've only seen it in pictures obviously.
    Sorry...I missed this. I check UU every other day, and many threads seem to be lost in the "What's New" tab before I even check it.

The debacle: Aklot asked a number of people to review the instrument, and sent out review ukuleles. That's all good with me. But then once we started posting the reviews...as requested to do so on Amazon as well, Aklot let us know that we couldn't say that we had been provided a ukulele for review. Apparently Amazon changed their policies and forbids this as a course of action.

**Note, I think that's pretty dumb on Amazon's part...I would be fine with letting anyone provide a review unit of anything, as long as they disclosed that they were sent a ukulele to do so.

About this time, Barry Maz wrote a review...and then very quickly pulled the review after finding out that Aklot was asking reviewers to not say that they were sent a ukulele for review. This is also the event that pushed Barry over the edge and he didn't review any Amazon ukuleles until very recently...that was almost 2 years in the making.

I personally left my review on my own YouTube Channel and Blog, but pulled my review from Amazon.

The two things that bothered me were Aklot asking us to not disclose that we were given a ukulele to review, and also adding that fact AFTER the reviews were posted and filmed.

All that said, I really like the Aklot packages and just bought--at a discounted rate--one of the Bamboo models to review. No, these aren't the greatest ukuleles on the planet, but they far exceed just about any of the competition at the price points they sell at.

One other quick note...someone suggested that Enya/Kaka is the same company--they are not. Kmise/Aklot is the same company. Enya/Kaka is another, and they were also producing ukuleles under some other names (e.g. OMS). I think Enya has settled on its name (New Age Singer or not) and seems to be a very influential instrument company in China. Their PR releases seem to get a lot of attention over there (I follow them on Facebook).
    My ukulele blog: http://ukestuff.info

My ukulele YouTube channels:

Yes, I added a review of my new Kmise tenor to Amazon, with the NOT A SOLID TOP story being told, as part of an otherwise positive review. We'll see if they let it through after their 48 hour "review" period. If not, I know the fix is in .
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 10-08-2019 at 07:45 PM.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Choirguy View Post
    One other quick note...someone suggested that Enya/Kaka is the same company--they are not. Kmise/Aklot is the same company. Enya/Kaka is another, and they were also producing ukuleles under some other names (e.g. OMS). I think Enya has settled on its name (New Age Singer or not) and seems to be a very influential instrument company in China. Their PR releases seem to get a lot of attention over there (I follow them on Facebook).
    Yeah, I remember reading that a while ago. That Kaka changed their export instruments to the Enya name because of the unfortunate connotations of the same sounding word: caca.

Now, back to the original thread...
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    Yes, I added a review of my new Kmise tenor to Amazon, with the NOT A SOLID TOP story being told, as part of an otherwise positive review. We'll see if they let it through after their 48 hour "review" period. If not, I know the fix is in .
    Update: Amazon did let my review through, with the negative comment about it not being a solid top, as claimed. Maybe I just got a good one, but for $44.00 shipped, I consider mine an amazing value. This after being through many other much more expensive tenors ukes.
    John

After my good experience with a Kmise mahogany tenor, I started looking at their baritones, and noticed that some of the descriptions say that the baritones come strung GCEA, which to me means like a reentrant tenor.

Having almost no baritone experience, what's the deal with that, and why would they string them that way? Some here have said that GCEA tuning on a bari yields a bigger tenor sound, but aren't bari ukes usually tuned linear dGBE, likle bottom 4 on a guitar, for the usual low bari sound?
    John

Thread Information