Parlor recommendations

cre8tive1

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm considering getting a guitar now that I've learned Uke thanks to UU! I want a small parlor guitar so it's not such a drastic change from my Tenor Uke.

I want a solid wood build. I have narrowed it down to 3 options thus far, but interested in what others have found in this category. I'm a lefty too, so that narrows the options quite a bit.

1. Pono Parlor 'Uku Li'i Small Body, UL-30 Spruce/Rosewood

2. Pono Parlor Li'i Small Body, L-20 Spruce/Mahogany

3. Eastman E20P, Spruce/Rosewood

Any and all input greatly appreciated.

I'm on the same search. I was thinking Jim Dandy or Recording king, but Art & Lutherie Ami get a lot of love. Solid tops. they also make a slightly larger Folk model. made in Canada by Godin, same maker as Seagull. going to demo some Saturday in Canada [I'm close to the border] so I can take advantage of the favorable exchange rate. Oh, and they also make all solid parlor under a different name, Simon & Patrick.

Last edited:
I have a Taylor GS Mini, Koa model, that works really well. It's got a 23.5 inch scale length.

I have a Taylor GS Mini, Koa model, that works really well. It's got a 23.5 inch scale length.
I tried a few out , the 2 nicest sounding were the GS mini [not really a parlor], and the Simon & Patrick woodland pro parlor. they both had a nicely balanced sound,figures they were also the most expensive. I need a pick up and the GS mini e is about $630, koa[700]I can get the S&P for with a b band for $630US in canada[I'm just over the border], no case, so they are about the same price.The S&P was an all solid sunburst, and was beautiful. The Taylor sounded good, just different. , but lam back and sides, and the koa was so.so. but I have seen some with nicer koa. The uke is my primary instrument and I saw the Breedlove passport traveler on MF for $299 shipped with bag, solid spruce top, pick up, and figured I'd try it at 1/2 the price of the others. made in Korea , the Taylor is made in Mexico and the S&P in canada. I 'll post my impressions when it arrives.

Last edited:
Take a look at the Blueridge guitars. A good source is Maury's, Goggle Blueridge guitar and look for Maury's Music.

If the parlor thing "takes", keep your eyes peeled for a used older Larrivee.

You might want to have a look at the Acoustic Guitar Forum (AGF). The Pono Parlor Guitars and Uku Li'i get some glamorous reviews there, especially in comparison with other brand names. Actually, I have been looking for a nice, solid small Guitar, too, and I think Pono will be the one I'll pick up eventually.

Take a look at the Blueridge guitars. A good source is Maury's, Goggle Blueridge guitar and look for Maury's Music.
About 6 months ago I purchased a Blueridge BR371 from Maury (BTW Maury is great to work with). Solid Spruce top, solid Indian rosewood back and sides, Mahogany neck, ebony bridge and fret board, bone nut and saddle and some abalone bling. It is much like the Martin 0 v28. It looks amazing, build quality is top notch and it sounds fantastic. It has begun to open up and it shimmers like a mountain lake; with incredible sustain and balance. Check out the demo on the Maury's Music site. Mine sounds even better in person. If you don't want the bling, the 361 is the same guitar with a more modest look. I bought it sight unseen and could not be happier. Took it to GC so one of the salesman I play with could see it. He is a big Martin fan, he now owns a BR371 himself. A true sleeper IMHO. Good luck, Parlors are great.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Not sure what your budget is but I really liked a Breedlove Oregon series parlor I played with a sunburst top. This specific model used to be $1600 but can be found on clearence for around $1000 right now. It is a GREAT guitar.

I really really want that Oregon parlor with the whiskey burst, but the standard scale is a little long for me. Sigh.

If the parlor thing "takes", keep your eyes peeled for a used older Larrivee.

Yep, Larrivee guitars are excellent instruments and very hard to find.

Larrivee for sure. I have had 3, my first all mahigany was not a great one, then i got a madagascar/Sitka, very nice. I then bought anither all mahogany from a friend after trying to get him to sell it to me for a year or more. Once i had that I solr the other parlor. The all hog Larrivee PRlor is warm, not as full as a Santa Cruz Firefly or Collings baby but at less than 1/2 the orice you really cannot go wrong. Mine will never be sold, i think i hsve it for over 5 or 6 years.

I have a Martin 5-15 Terz guitar. I've found it to be an extremely versatile instrument.

It's designed to be tuned a minor third (3frets) up from standard guitar tuning with light gauge strings. You can, however, tune it to standard pitch with mediums or high-strung Nashville Terz tuning using the octave strings from a 12-string set.

Here it is in the Nashville Terz tuning.

Scooter

Hey Scooter, nice video! What's the sale length on these Martin size 5 Terz Guitars? From what I can tell, Martin is not making them anymore, right?

Thanks, Rakelele,

The scale length is 21 inches or so, I'd have to check. Martin doesn't currently have a stock model in size 5, but I have seen a lot of customs on the market recently.

Scooter

I have a Seagull Grand Parlor and it's a nice player. These are pretty reasonably priced and there are some real steals from time to time for pre-owned.

Speaking of options for Parlor Guitars, Kala will be making one, too:

I tried a few out , the 2 nicest sounding were the GS mini [not really a parlor], and the Simon & Patrick woodland pro parlor. they both had a nicely balanced sound,figures they were also the most expensive. I need a pick up and the GS mini e is about $630, koa[700]I can get the S&P for with a b band for $630US in canada[I'm just over the border], no case, so they are about the same price.The S&P was an all solid sunburst, and was beautiful. The Taylor sounded good, just different. , but lam back and sides, and the koa was so.so. but I have seen some with nicer koa. The uke is my primary instrument and I saw the Breedlove passport traveler on MF for $299 shipped with bag, solid spruce top, pick up, and figured I'd try it at 1/2 the price of the others. made in Korea , the Taylor is made in Mexico and the S&P in canada. I 'll post my impressions when it arrives.
the breedlove Passport arrived yesterday, and I am favorably impressed. I asked my friend[an awesome guitar player] to test it, and he played it for a few hours and wouldn.t let me touch it. It sounded good acoustic and very good through a fishman loudbox. The top is solid, and kind of plain, back lam mahog, fishman pickup, nice neck, and is a heavy little bugger. The gig bag is crap. but will do until I get a case. I got mine from MF for $299shipped. was on sale for a day. Street price is 399. and it is worth it at that price too. I'll post a ss when I get a chance.

I never understand a parlor with longer scales. 25 is not terrible, it is used fot projection and tone. My Larrivee 24" scale is thinner sounding but still to my liking. I believe the Collings Baby is 24 1/8", pricey little thing.

Top Bottom