Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Doctor Who Thread

Awesome

Oh, I didn't know about this thread :-)

Except for one old serial of a few episodes, I only saw the reboot. My girlfriend introduced me to it.
    I quit watching after the first Capaldi season. Not Capaldis fault, but then"overbakedness" of the Moffat seasons, as someone called it.

The first episode with Capaldi was also the first episode of a season. And it started as one big oversentimental episode over the stuff happening in the previous episodes. Wtf? You don't start a season being sentimental. If you insist, you can make the last episode sentimental, but the first is supposed to be exciting, give thre adventorous vibe of doctor who and be looking forward. Hardcore fans will suck it up, but the series will not get new fans when the story is so busy being full of it self in stead of focusing on good storytelling.

To me the wibbly wobbly story of the Doctor and the Tardis is a good setting for exploring fun and scary universes with cool plots for each episode or serial, but in the last few seasons the Doctor and the Tardis has been the entire universe and plot.
    Everything that goes on in any world they explore seems to be only because of the Doctor and an overbaked wibbly wobbly central plot.

I hope the new seasons will bring back focus to the individual worlds they explore.
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Anuenue African Mahogany Tenor, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

Torchwood is turning into Dr. Who now. Dang, I liked Torchwood, but if it is going to be just another Dr. Who, I'm going to have to move on. I just can't stay awake for a show when the main plot is all the kids in the world going into a trance and chanting "we are coming".
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

I've seen perhaps 6 episodes of Dr Who since 1981. Capaldi is the best I've seen since Baker, but things like his electric guitar playing spoil it.

You didn't expect Torchwood to be like Dr Who? I've never seen Torchwood, but since it's an anagram of Doctor Who, I'd have had my suspicions that there were going to be similarities!

As a lifelong fan of Doctor Who I regard the current series as poorly scripted. Jodie Whittaker is OK but with 2 of the episodes set in Sheffield I would not have expected The (female) Doctor to have so easily been able to take charge of events. There could also be humour in that approach. As for villains from 'way out there' their motivation for coming to Earth has never really been substantially explained. Someone came from the future to attempt to prevent the Rosa Parks situation because its very long term effects were not wanted? Why would that be? There was no explanation.

Maybe there is a series ark such as when the person who became known as Missy was seen at the end of a few episodes welcoming a dead person to her domain. We did not know what this was about until the substantial 2 part end of the series.
    Ukulele Orchestra Of Great Britain Fan & Carlisle United Fan

Countdown Of United Kingdom Time Remaining In The European Union

Gear4Music Deluxe Tenor
    Mahilele Soprano

The Doctor (Peter Capaldi) is an alien Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey who travels through all of time and space in his TARDIS with his companion. Instead of dying, the Doctor is able to "regenerate" into a new body, taking on a new personality with each regeneration.

I quite liked the first season and this is a major reboot, so give it a couple of seasons to get into shape. From my rough memory all first seasons of various incarnations were rough.

I’ve been a fan of the series since the very first episode in 1963 (yes...I *AM* that bloody old - don’t keep reminding me! lol) and I’ve always loved it; warts and all.
    During all that time, there have been both good and bad doctors, and good and bad episodes, but I’ve stuck with it and have generally enjoyed the series for over 50 years. (D’oh! There I go again reminding myself of my age...)
    But I do feel that the series is about fantasy. Taking us away from reality. Just for 40 minutes each time helping us forget about our own troubles and those of the world around us. So I am not a big fan of the current episode trend of political correctness and showing us where the human race has gone wrong in the past - there are many other excellent TV programmes that remind us of that and I hope that one day we learn from our mistakes and all live together in harmony.

In the old classic series, a story line also ran over a few weeks of episodes with a cliff-hanger at the end of each. We couldn’t WAIT for next week’s episode to see what happened. I’ve always hoped they’d bring that back. Today’s episodes seem to spend 30 minutes building up the story and then the solution and ‘making it right’ seems to all happen far too quickly for my taste.
    Still a great show though, and long may it live.
    Last edited by S11LKO; 12-20-2018 at 02:15 AM.
    Luv n stuff, Dave

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1N...SLlEsi_kIIi4zg

* GUITARS
    Freshman Apollo 6 string electro acoustic
    50yr old EKO 12 string jumbo
    American Fender Stratocaster deluxe
    American Gibson SG Special
    Harley Benton TE-40 TBK Deluxe (Telecaster)
    Ibanez GSR200 BASS

* UKES
    Ozark 2035 banjole
    Kmise tenor banjole
    Cordoba 22T-CE Tenor
    Kala KA-CE electro acoustic

* OTHERS
    Kawai KM-10 Grand piano & Technics KN-2000 keyboard

My first Doctor was also Tom Baker, and also viewed on the local PBS station. I remember seeing a young Sara Jane, then watched her return on BBC America. For some reason, BBCA stopped carrying The Sara Jane Adventures after Season 2. It was sad to hear of Elisabeth's passing.

I’ve enjoyed the series ever since the reboot. Some episodes have been hokey, but others have been excellent. I’ve had some time off this week, so have been dipping into the Doctor Who Christmas Takeover a bit. Capaldi’s “Face the Raven”, “Hell Bent” and “Heaven Sent” were some of the best, as was “The Time of the Doctor”. “The Husbands of River Song” was somewhat silly, but the last ten minutes made the episode. The Tennant two-part “Family of Blood” episodes were good, and “Blink” is one of my all-time favorites. I enjoyed the long story arc with Smith, Rory, Amy, and River, and River’s appearance at Trensalore. I'm warming up to the new cast - we'll see where that leads.

I wish the seasons were longer, though. After the NYD special, there's about a 10 month gap. Makes it hard to keep continuity.

Thread Information