Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Doctor Who Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Barrytone View Post
    Long may the last of the Time Lords travel at will.
    No longer the last of the time lords

Also, how can anybody not like Sylvester McCoy!? (okay, I'm biased, he was my first Doctor as I remember being a kid in the mid 90s and seeing repeats of Remembrance of the Daleks, and being bloody terrified of them!)

Weirdly McCoy's Doctor and companion Ace were one of the show's great pairings. Some peculiar synergy took place that somehow made the sum of the two of them together far greater than its individual parts. I found McCoy himself to be a bit of a mumbler and often had trouble understanding what he was saying.

I remember there being some seriously dodgy stories during this period - the one with the liquorice allsorts monster springs to mind - but also some rather good ones too... especially Rememberance

Quote Originally Posted by jollyboy View Post
    Weirdly McCoy's Doctor and companion Ace were one of the show's great pairings. Some peculiar synergy took place that somehow made the sum of the two of them together far greater than its individual parts. I found McCoy himself to be a bit of a mumbler and often had trouble understanding what he was saying.

I remember there being some seriously dodgy stories during this period - the one with the liquorice allsorts monster springs to mind - but also some rather good ones too... especially Rememberance
    the Happiness Patrol, the episode with Bertie Bassett... uhmm, I mean The Kandyman (sigh) was actually a good bit of satire about Herr Thatcher, but people just remember it for such a dodgy monster.

Remembrance of the Daleks is definitely up there with my top three classic Who stories

1) Tomb of the Cybermen - Patrick Troughton
    2) Remembrance of the Daleks - Sylvester McCoy
    3) Terror of the Autons - Jon Pertwee

All give me the fear in one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by GNUF Kris View Post

All give me the fear in one way or another.

And there is the key I think - Doctor Who is at it's very best when it's trying to be absolutely bloody terrifying.

The Third Doctor was my first, at a very young age, and the giant maggots in The Green Death genuinely gave me nightmares. I was so upset that my mom seriously considered banning the show in our house and I had to beg her to let me keep watching.

The Green Death remains one of my favourite DW stories

[QUOTE=GNUF Kris;1812704]No longer the last of the time lords

This may be true depending on where and when; you (the observer) are in relation to the space time continuum occupied by The Doctor.
    One premise of quantum theory states that; by the very act of watching, the observer affects the observed reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrytone View Post
    No longer the last of the time lords
    This may be true depending on where and when; you (the observer) are in relation to the space time continuum occupied by The Doctor.
    One premise of quantum theory states that; by the very act of watching, the observer affects the observed reality.
    Wibbly wobbly.
    Timey wimey.

Wibbly wobbly.
    Timey wimey.
    Ah, there's a man who truly understands.

When I was a kid, the Tom Baker series was on PBS now and then, but it seemed really slow to me back then compared to the Star Trek, Star Wars and other Sci Fi that I was into at the time, and I could never develop the patience to watch a full episode.

With the reboot in 2005, I REALLY loved David Tennant as the Dr., and later Matt Smith too. I also got into the Sarah Jane Chronicles and loved that series as well. Sad that Elizabeth Sladen got sick and passed away. She was a wonderful actress.

Peter Capaldi is different from the two previous incarnations of the Dr. that I mentioned above. At first he was too different, but he's been growing on me, and I quite like him now. I'm also a bit sweet on Clara.

Overall, I do not find the delays in the seasons a bother, because I stream everything, and I'm a bit behind anyway on purpose, so I'm not actually watching in realtime. I prefer to wait for a season to end, and then stream all the episodes of that season back-to-back over a 1-2 week period rather than wait for a week's delay between episodes.

Here in the USA, some shows have a months long intermission in the middle of a season, and it just kills me when they do this, for when they start the episodes again, the story continuity is completely destroyed for me because too much time has passed, and I have to go back and watch the previous one or two episodes before the new one, otherwise the story arc is too disconnected.

Maybe I'm getting old , but marathon-watching is much more satisfying to me than the weekly or months-long interruptions.
    Guinea proverb: "A cow that has no tail should not try to chase away flies."

Quote Originally Posted by Booli View Post
    When I was a kid, the Tom Baker series was on PBS now and then, but it seemed really slow to me back then compared to the Star Trek, Star Wars and other Sci Fi that I was into at the time, and I could never develop the patience to watch a full episode.

With the reboot in 2005, I REALLY loved David Tennant as the Dr., and later Matt Smith too. I also got into the Sarah Jane Chronicles and loved that series as well. Sad that Elizabeth Sladen got sick and passed away. She was a wonderful actress.

Peter Capaldi is different from the two previous incarnations of the Dr. that I mentioned above. At first he was too different, but he's been growing on me, and I quite like him now. I'm also a bit sweet on Clara.

Overall, I do not find the delays in the seasons a bother, because I stream everything, and I'm a bit behind anyway on purpose, so I'm not actually watching in realtime. I prefer to wait for a season to end, and then stream all the episodes of that season back-to-back over a 1-2 week period rather than wait for a week's delay between episodes.

Here in the USA, some shows have a months long intermission in the middle of a season, and it just kills me when they do this, for when they start the episodes again, the story continuity is completely destroyed for me because too much time has passed, and I have to go back and watch the previous one or two episodes before the new one, otherwise the story arc is too disconnected.

Maybe I'm getting old , but marathon-watching is much more satisfying to me than the weekly or months-long interruptions.
    Yeah, Classic Who worked on a "serials" format, with some stories spanning about 8 half hour episodes! (possibly more!), I mean that when it was broadcast twice a week but still. I enjoy Classic Who stories but I watch them in a couple of goes.

I enjoy the week's wait on Doctor Who, especially when there is a cliffhanger on a two parter. I know The Doctor will win in the end, but I like not knowing how he's going to get himself out of that particular scrape. In a marathon session you don't get to enjoy that as much (I know because I binge watched Once Upon A Time on Netflix). I totally get where you're coming from on the mid season intermission, we have it here out of nessecity for the American import shows, for example I have no idea what last happened on The Flash, and I almost missed the return of Elementary (because my Sky+ [TiVo style thing] box didn't pick it up)

At least with Elementary each episode is a stand alone

Bring back Red Dwarf.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Thread Information