Beginner looking for non-entry level ukulele

BrettCo

Reaction score
Hi everybody. I am new to the board and new to the world of ukuleles. I am excited to be here. I have a question for anybody that may be able to help:

I am looking for the best Tenor ukulele at the 300 dollar range max. If you could only buy one ukulele, and had 300, what would you buy? I have played acoustic guitar for 20 years, and I've been through the cheap guitars and no longer want to go that route with ukuleles. I know that 300 bucks is still basically entry level, but what would be the best I could do with it?

Lastly, I am looking for brand new. I was interested in the Islander MAT-4 tenor spalted maple, but if I should steer away, just let me know! Thanks so much everybody.

Brett

Last edited:
Welcome to the UU forum, Brett, glad you joined this awesome community! :)

If you figure in shipping and set-up, and perhaps a case, you're probably looking in the $250 range for the instrument. I'm not a tenor person, or so it seems to turn out, but I like the Koalana that John linked to. I love the KoAloha sound, and it seems that their entry line (the Koalana sub-brand) is as close as you'll get to it. There is also the used market, like the Marketplace section here. This might be a good way to stretch the money you have available.

You did specify you want a brand new one, and I can relate, just wanted to mention the option because for US folks there are often amazing deals, which may bring a solid instrument in range. For brand new with setup, I'd really consider the laminate Koalana if you like the tone from the videos. To me it sounds better than cheap solid models, based on the clips.

Last edited:
Mim's Ukes has a ton of nice instruments in your price range and her reputation is excellent. I haven't purchased from her yet, but I'm sure the day will come soon!

The Islander (by Kanile'a) should be good.
If you can play it in person, it would be a good idea. Each uke will have differences in feel and playability, and you can only tell when you play it. You might look at the Flea and the Fluke. They come in different combinations (neck scale) and it will get you something to start on. Later, that can be your travel/ camping/ beach uke, since they are pretty durable. The Fluke body is bigger, and a little more guitar-like in sound. If you want a more uke-like sound, get a Flea with a tenor neck.
Welcome to UU!

–Lori

Thanks so much everyone! I'm loving the responses.
In addition to what you think is the best uke money can buy at a 300 dollar range (not including price of shipping, handling, or case), how direly important is getting a solid uke?

The one I like is the tenor Islander MAT-4 but it's laminate. Am I going to regret this down the line? I'm trying to avoid the "entry level" stamp as much as possible, but I also know this is a company that is also represented by a very popular uke company (one of the four k's). Would you feel comfortable with this one?

I'm reading everybody's responses so as much advice as you would like to offer, I'd love to hear it. And again, thank you so much. I can't wait to get started with this!

I think that if you go to Mim, Andrew, or any of the other retailers recommended on this forum, you will get some professional help, rather than random opinions. They are pretty trustworthy, and they aren't going to sell you something you will be unhappy with. The problem with just throwing it out, is that everyone has their own opinion, and many times the differ. Some people like laminates, others wouldn't have one. I have an opinion as well, but I'm not going to add to the confusion. Get professional help, and good luck.

Depending on where you live, a laminate can remove a lot of worrying and babysitting. No need to humidify it. If I didn't live in a location where a humidifier isn't necessary (I still check the hygrometer on many days...), I think I would only have laminated ukuleles. Like with solid wood, there are different types and quality levels of laminated ukuleles, and it isn't automatically inferior, at least (I feel) in this price range.

You probably know this from your guitar background already, but it was the thing I wanted to avoid and then ended up just accepting it: the desire to find the one right ukulele right off the bat and not ever wanting or needing anything else, didn't quite turn out to be realistic for me and a fair number of folks here. Whichever instrument you buy, playing it for a time will bring forth new desires, based on preferences you discover. It's really a journey. So from that perspective, you can't get it wrong. :)

Though perhaps the lesson there is to pay attention to the possible resell value. Knowing what I know now, my first four ukulele purchases would have been different, and I probably wouldn't have a custom tenor now (it is a great instrument, but the wrong size for me, at least at this time), but I wouldn't know that if I had not made these purchases. My KoAloha was a gamble, one I didn't except to work out, and yet it became the one purchase I'm the most happy about.

Anyway, as for laminate vs. solid, a solid instrument is likely to have a better resell value because of the belief that solid instruments sound better. My solid acacia tenor does not sound better than the laminate Koalana in the clip (was around $300), and my solid mahagony concert from Stagg does not sound better than some laminate concerts I heard. So based on my limited experience, solid vs. laminate should probably be decided on a comparison of individual instruments. But it is perception also that affects resell values of well, anything really.

Are you set on the tenor size? Planning to tune it re-entrant or linear with a low-g? :)

Edit: As R. wrote, a lot of this is opinion-based. All of it, really. A vendor typically has had more exposure, but they also don't know how your preferences will develop. There are a few people here who I learned seem to often share my views and tastes, so I value their input higher. Janeray is someone like that, and it was her opinion that tipped the scale when I squirmed about whether to buy the LN pineapple. And I know who I'd ask about baritones, if I ever wanted one. But that comes with hanging out here for a while, and still, only actually playing something will tell you what you like or dislike.

Last edited:
Add Mike at Uke Republic and Mike at Mainland Ukes to the list of fine dealers with great reputations. Mim and HMS are also seconded here.

There'll be lots of choices and they will sell you what you need, not what they want to sell.

Welcome and best wishes.

This is all GREAT Info. I really appreciate it. So I think these are my final choices. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with any of them, and also which you would choose. I will base my decision off of your advice, because my ears deceive me online.

-islander MAT-4 laminate tenor - link: http://www.theukulelesite.com/islander-spalted-maple-tenor-mat-package-deal.html

-koalana tenor - link: http://www.theukulelesite.com/koalana-tenor-kta-0010.html
-kala tenor Ka-smht
link: http://www.theukulelesite.com/kala-smht-solid-mahogany-tenor.html

Thanks all! This will make my decision final :)

I have many laminates, and some solid ukes. The higher end ones are solid, and I make sure they all get humidified (today we have 23% humidity). I don't think you can tell the good laminate ukes from the solid wood ukes in the same price range. There are many other factors that affect the sound and that is only one piece of the puzzle. My go-to uke these days is the Blackbird Clara e-koa (tuned to low g), and they have a tenor uke out now. That is really expensive, so you want to play around awhile with the different sizes and materials before you choose an expensive uke. So many things affect playability, and those things are different for each player. Visit a uke group, and see if you can test out a few of their ukes. Find out what neck profile works best for you, how high the action should be, and variations in tone woods. It is a really fun hobby. If you are concerned about resale, take a look at the marketplace here, and see how fast certain ukes sell. Also check out fleamarketmusic.com and their marketplace.https://www.fleamarketmusic.com/marketplace/default.asp
–Lori

Depending on where you live, a laminate can remove a lot of worrying and babysitting. No need to humidify it. If I didn't live in a location where a humidifier isn't necessary (I still check the hygrometer on many days...), I think I would only have laminated ukuleles. Like with solid wood, there are different types and quality levels of laminated ukuleles, and it isn't automatically inferior, at least (I feel) in this price range.

You probably know this from your guitar background already, but it was the thing I wanted to avoid and then ended up just accepting it: the desire to find the one right ukulele right off the bat and not ever wanting or needing anything else, didn't quite turn out to be realistic for me and a fair number of folks here. Whichever instrument you buy, playing it for a time will bring forth new desires, based on preferences you discover. It's really a journey. So from that perspective, you can't get it wrong. :)

Though perhaps the lesson there is to pay attention to the possible resell value. Knowing what I know now, my first four ukulele purchases would have been different, and I probably wouldn't have a custom tenor now (it is a great instrument, but the wrong size for me, at least at this time), but I wouldn't know that if I had not made these purchases. My KoAloha was a gamble, one I didn't except to work out, and yet it became the one purchase I'm the most happy about.

Anyway, as for laminate vs. solid, a solid instrument is likely to have a better resell value because of the belief that solid instruments sound better. My solid acacia tenor does not sound better than the laminate Koalana in the clip (was around $300), and my solid mahagony concert from Stagg does not sound better than some laminate concerts I heard. So based on my limited experience, solid vs. laminate should probably be decided on a comparison of individual instruments. But it is perception also that affects resell values of well, anything really.

Are you set on the tenor size? Planning to tune it re-entrant or linear with a low-g? :)

Edit: As R. wrote, a lot of this is opinion-based. All of it, really. A vendor typically has had more exposure, but they also don't know how your preferences will develop. There are a few people here who I learned seem to often share my views and tastes, so I value their input higher. Jannery is someone like that, and it was her opinion that tipped the scale when I squirmed about whether to buy the LN pineapple. And I know who I'd ask about baritones, if I ever wanted one. But that comes with hanging out here for a while, and still, only actually playing something will tell you what you like or dislike.

Thank you so much for this in depth answer. I am pretty set on a tenor because I fell in love with the ukulele in a very different way than I'm sure many of you have. Oddly, i heard a song written on one that I fell in love with, especially the sound of his uke which I'm certain is top of the line. He only wrote one song on a uke, but fell in love with his uke and is writing more now on his. So ever since, I've been wanting one and I know he plays a tenor (he = Dave Matthews, by the way).

So I narrowed it down to three final choices, which I posted before this one. Let me know what you all think of the choices, and I'll be picking it up before the end of the week!

Anyhow thank you again for your help.

Last edited:
The three options all have videos. Which do YOU like best? Make it dependent on that, you have to bond with it. Watch the videos back to back on good headphones or studio speakers, eyes closed. One might stand out.

The Kala is a great deal for a solid tenor. The two laminates sound superb to me also, with my preference favoring the Koalana, but that's all so subjective. Any of these will likely make you happy if you get them set up.

Not helpful, I know. Tyranny of choice sucks. :)

Aloha and welcome to UU Brett. Glad you joined us.

You picked three nice ukes for you first (and hopefully not last) uke. Any of them should treat you right and going with your heart will be fine. Don't be shy about asking the HMS folks questions, they are a great resource.

Happy hunting and keep us posted. We always like pics of new arrivals.

You are right about Dave Mathews playing and expensive uke, Mya Moe aprox.$1700.00. As a guitar player let me ask you, what guitars do you own that you really like and how much do they cost. Are any of your favorite guitars all laminate???

It is has been my experience that seasoned guitar players get it when it comes to cost versus sound quality. You stated " you wanted to make sure you were not in the beginner category". You are not there but just above it.

All of the ones you picked are decent instruments, the Kala being all solid mahogany gets the edge as it will improve with age. If you can stretch your budget to $400 then you have three models of all solid Kalas and that many of all solid Ponos.

The three options all have videos. Which do YOU like best? Make it dependent on that, you have to bond with it. Watch the videos back to back on good headphones or studio speakers, eyes closed. One might stand out.

The Kala is a great deal for a solid tenor. The two laminates sound superb to me also, with my preference favoring the Koalana, but that's all so subjective. Any of these will likely make you happy if you get them set up.

Not helpful, I know. Tyranny of choice sucks. :)

Extremely helpful! Unfortunately, my ears cannot seem to adjust to the sounds, and I cannot hear which sounds better. My number one choice personally is the Islander MAT-4: http://www.theukulelesite.com/island...kage-deal.html

However, I just want to know that I am getting a good ukulele. I would love to know that, even though its not one of the super-expensive ones, that it has a sound that is enjoyable. Since its made by the popular company Kanile'a, I feel that it must be good! However, with that being said, I'd hate to purchase this one only to find out its considered low-end, toy-ish, could fall apart in a year, lol. I love the Koalana too, but it looks SO BOORING! haha, the Spalted Maple in the Islander MAT-4 looks incredible to my eyes. Couple more responses on the three choices, and then I'm going to pull the trigger! And I couldn't be any more excited to do so!

Aloha and welcome to UU Brett. Glad you joined us.

You picked three nice ukes for you first (and hopefully not last) uke. Any of them should treat you right and going with your heart will be fine. Don't be shy about asking the HMS folks questions, they are a great resource.

Happy hunting and keep us posted. We always like pics of new arrivals.
Thanks so much! you all ROCK!

Kanilea would not be associated with anything other than a top quality product. I have had a chance to play the Islander splatted maple you like but in a concert size and I will say I was VERY impressed with the sound.

If you love it then get it. It will NOT be the only uke you own. Not if you keep hanging around here :p This is a great place but very bad for the bank account

Top Bottom