ebay seller of cheap(er) tools like stew mac

Beau Hannam Ukuleles

Reaction score
Chinese companies that produce for foreign retailers generally take the same stuff they make (even if from protected corporate designs) and sell it elsewhere and so undercut their original buyer. There's zero respect for copyright or intellectual property. If they can make it or can reverse engineer it to steal it, they will. If they can cheapen the quality to add a few more cents to their pockets, even if it ruins the usability of the product, they will. Unless someone is sitting on them and guarding everything 24/7, it will be exploited. Tainted food, tainted health products, unsafe everything from dog and kid toys to toothpaste to medicines; products that look like they should work and self destruct in a matter of days, where the same thing made in the USA 30 years ago still works or is repairable? It's shameful.

The stuff they sell direct will most likely have no ethical quality control so you'll have to take that gamble, and there's no recourse if something is wrong, unless PayPal backs you up.

I agree on this one. . . I don't love Stew Mac, but at least they back up their product. Sure, the stuff is probably from the same factory, but Stew Mac can leverage their orders for quality control purposes. It's entirely possible that some of those items were rejected by S.M. for just that reason.

Edit: Caveat Emptor
Edit #2: Most likely, the quality is the same, but is going around S.M. to buy a product they designed and brought to market really ethical?

Last edited:
...and there's no recourse if something is wrong, unless PayPal backs you up.

My experience with a PayPal claim as a buyer has been dismal. It seems that PayPal has a greater interest in keeping sellers happy, perhaps because it is so economically important to PayPal that sellers put the PayPal button on their retail sites.

Top Bottom