Major boo-boo!

Like Red Cliff says, always spray some shellac on the board to prevent staining. Now that we've locked the barn door after the horse got loose, yeah make a new top. Hold onto this one and keep it in a prominent spot in your workshop as a constant reminder. I'm on my third workshop right now because I've filled the last two up with my mistakes! (Latest one was drilling an indexing hole for my rosette router - into the BACK piece of my build!)

Like Red Cliff says, always spray some shellac on the board to prevent staining. Now that we've locked the barn door after the horse got loose, yeah make a new top. Hold onto this one and keep it in a prominent spot in your workshop as a constant reminder. I'm on my third workshop right now because I've filled the last two up with my mistakes! (Latest one was drilling an indexing hole for my rosette router - into the BACK piece of my build!)
So I take it that the back piece will now be the front piece on the next build ;)

So I take it that the back piece will now be the front piece on the next build ;)

I don't know what I'm going to do. I can't match the wood (it's a spalted waterfall bubinga) Maybe I will make this the soundboard and use a solid piece of bubinga for the back. Would that look too weird?

How about airbrushing a blue-ish burst or fade that radiates out from the rosette? If shaped right it can look like a blue sun or maybe the light that radiates from behind the moon during a solar eclipse.

How about airbrushing a blue-ish burst or fade that radiates out from the rosette? If shaped right it can look like a blue sun or maybe the light that radiates from behind the moon during a solar eclipse.

Yep. You could do like that.. or hand paint with an artist brush.

sticker-sun-god_600x600.jpg

Anything creative to cover the extent of the slip-up...

Paint covers a multitude of sins!
ymmv
rc

Since this thread has re-surfaced, I'm obliged to give an update. I purchased a new spruce soundboard and prepared it for the rosette. I decided to re-design the rosette since I felt that the previous one seemed too large. When the time came for the inlay, I was careful to first spray the area with shellac, then scribed the outline with a tool made specifically for the purpose before routing the channel. I then carefully installed the inner and outer purfling strips using a CA filled pipette to ensure that the CA went in the right places after carefully forgetting to place wax paper under the sound board resulting in it being glued to the work board!:wallbash: Talk about stupid! See Ken, you have nothing to worry about.:) Anyway, after sharpening an edge of my card scraper, I slid it between the soundboard and work surface and pried the sound board loose, with hardly any damage. I won't make that mistake again!
Progressing slowly, one step forward, two steps back.

Bob

Top Bottom