Middle Eastern Scale

Buddy McCue

Reaction score
Arabic music has maqam, similar to scales. This particular one (Hijaz) sounds the most typically "Middle-Eastern" to my ear; maybe that's because I hear it so often in the movies and all.

Anyway, you can noodle around with this and get an instant exotic sound on the ukulele. Among other things, this one is the basis of Misirlou, a song you might recognize. A surf-rock version of this song was used as the theme of the movie "Pulp Fiction." I'm working on tab for that song, and I'll post it when I'm done.

Here is the scale in C for the Soprano Ukulele, (or any Uke with re-entrant tuning.) This example is in 8/8 time; it's just the scale going up and down.

A||--------------1-3-|-4-3-1------------||---||
E||.-----0-1---------|-----------1-0---.||---||
C||.-0-1-------------|---------------1-.||-0-||
G||----------0-1-----|-------1-0--------||---||

Here it is in E for the Baritone Ukulele. This example starts with the root note, dips down a step and then continues up the scale and back down again.It's also 8/8 time.

E||-----------------|---0-1-4-5-4-1-0-|-----------------||---||
B||.------------0-1-|-3---------------|-3-1-0----------.||---||
G||.--------1-2-----|-----------------|-------2-1------.||---||
D||-2-0-2-3---------|-----------------|-----------3-2-0-||-2-||

(or you might want to play it this way)

E||-----------------|-------4-5-4-----|-----------------||---||
B||.------------0-1-|-3-5-6-------6-5-|-3-1-0----------.||---||
G||.--------1-2-----|-----------------|-------2-1------.||---||
D||-2-0-2-3---------|-----------------|-----------3-2-0-||-2-||

Hope you have fun with this, and my explanation makes sense to you. I'm new at this; this is my second tab. I've got lots of notebooks filled with stuff like this (different scales and tabs that I've worked out for myself,) but I need to eventually type it all into the computer.

Last edited:
This is pretty cool, I remember when I used to take guitar lessons my teacher tried to teach me this type of scale. It had a certain name I think, but I forget. Anyways, thanks a bunch!

Moving this to the Tips , Tricks and Technique section.

Very cool...but

Yes, this is very cool, and thanks!

But I have the same feeling that I had when someone posted the gypsy scales a couple of months back: the scales are good, but I wish someone could post full songs in this genres - the scales alone got tired very quickly.

Thanks for the post. I am definitely looking to add more scales to the repertoire.

:shaka:

This is pretty cool, I remember when I used to take guitar lessons my teacher tried to teach me this type of scale. It had a certain name I think, but I forget. Anyways, thanks a bunch!

I think it's called Phygrian Dominant scale. Coincidentily, I looked up middle eastern scales earlier after getting into a convo about Adam Lambert's rendition of Ring of Fire on AI.:D

Thanks Buddy!

I just searched this site to see if anyone has already posted Misirlou, and I found that it was requested here:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7888
There's a link to an arrangement there, but it's just the bare melody with chords. The one I'm working on is a solo arrangement for the Baritone that includes harmony notes on the lower strings. I may also post a duet version (for Soprano and Baritone together) that will be easier to play.

Thanks

This sounds great and is fun to play around with.
Cheers.

I think it's called Phygrian Dominant scale. Coincidentily, I looked up middle eastern scales earlier after getting into a convo about Adam Lambert's rendition of Ring of Fire on AI.:D

Thanks Buddy!

Harmonic minor is also a good sounding middle eastern scale. I'll have to try this when I get home. Thanks!

Also John King's Sakura arrangement has a wonderful run at the beginning. It sounds like a japanese koto on the uke. Beautiful.

thanks, this is fun to play round with, sounds a bit like a minor scale on a guitar.

I simply really liked it alot, is there anything more available similar?

Top Bottom