Low d DGBE for tenor: possible?

Aquila makes tenor dGBE sets for tenors in Reds and Whites. I have both for sale. No...I did not wade through the six previous pages. Forgive my redundancy if someone has already said what I am repeating.

Quick recap... The discussion has primarily revolved around low D (DGBE) tuning on a tenor. The issue is string tension, generally lack there of. It has turned a little darker as I strung a tenor with steel acoustic guitar strings tuned down to G.

John

I did the calculations and worked out that if you put baritone strings on a tenor and tune them two semitones higher than a baritone (EAC#F#) then you have the correct string tensions. In effect, you're just playing a baritone with a barre or a capo on the second fret. I tried this arrangement on my Kala tenor and it worked fine. Like you, I was seeking a tuning which matched my voice, and one extra tone higher was close enough.

I've been trying strings out for DGBE or dGBE on my tenors for a few months. I like the sound of them. I'm sort of stuck in SAS but it's cheaper than UAS.

I've found that Fremont Black line Tenor and D'Addrio Carbons strings tuned to dGBE to be acceptable (to me) but lacked a little tension, which in itself is not bad. I put a set of PhD Low G stings on a spruce topped tenor, tuned it to DGBE and found the tension to be too low. I tend to snag the stings while strumming, though they do sound good. Worth Brown Fats worked too, they are eccentually Baritone strings with a 0.319 Hi-D, I'm going to try them with a Baritone 0.358" Low D from my Baritone set. The Browns tend to be 'warmer" than I'd like though.

Fremont makes a set of Bari-Tenor Strings for dGBE and I just ordered two sets and a Fremont soloist Low G string. I thought I'd see if the Soloist will give me a low D with acceptable tension.

I got my Fremont Bari-tenor strings today and a soloist, put them on a CT-310 spruce top and they are still settling, but it appears that the soloist will do a cretiable job as a low D string. I'll put up a review in a day or two after they settle down but initial testing looks promising. :)

I did the calculations and worked out that if you put baritone strings on a tenor and tune them two semitones higher than a baritone (EAC#F#) then you have the correct string tensions. In effect, you're just playing a baritone with a barre or a capo on the second fret. I tried this arrangement on my Kala tenor and it worked fine. Like you, I was seeking a tuning which matched my voice, and one extra tone higher was close enough.

Do tenor guitar/baritone uke chords work here, or are you back at ukulele chords?

Living Water GBE and a classical guitar wound A string gives a good low D sound

I put Aquila New Nylgut 21U Baritone Strings on my Kala Mahogany Laminate Tenor to experiment per suggestion from Mono Ped in comments on this YT video about Baritone Tenor tuning. I think they sound and feel pretty good. Check comments here: https://youtu.be/C4wIPa_H-Zg

Question answered for me.

After playing a few string sets DGBE on my tenors, I've found that Worth Brown bari strings work just fine on a tenor, maybe a little slack but easy on the fingers. Fremont Blackline Bari-Tenor set with a Soloist for a Low D worked very well, if you don't mind the metal. PhD Baritone set worked out but they are very floppy, YMMV.

For Fluorocarbons a 0.358" string seems to be the key for Low D.

I did a video of four Tenors and many string sets DGBE & dGBE which I ref'd above. After spending over $100 on stings sets I found a low G tenor set will work out detuned if you aren't really picky.

After playing a few string sets DGBE on my tenors, I've found that Worth Brown bari strings work just fine on a tenor, maybe a little slack but easy on the fingers. Fremont Blackline Bari-Tenor set with a Soloist for a Low D worked very well, if you don't mind the metal. PhD Baritone set worked out but they are very floppy, YMMV.

For Fluorocarbons a 0.358" string seems to be the key for Low D.

I did a video of four Tenors and many string sets DGBE & dGBE which I ref'd above. After spending over $100 on stings sets I found a low G tenor set will work out detuned if you aren't really picky.

Ah! I remember watching your vid before but for some reason didn't recall when making my purchase. Might have been one of those late night internet surf seshes. Very extensive string review Jack!

Top Bottom