Buying yew...?

mainger

Reaction score
Hi all,

Anybody know where to find a couple of nice English yew tops for sopranos? I'd like to try pairing yew with some nice walnut, but I'm having a hard time sourcing any :(

Also, in that combination, what bracing wood would you use?

Thanks!
Germain

What Sven said - Stuart provided me with some lovely yew.

But be careful - the dust and shavings cause me an allergic reaction which got worse each time, so I don't think I can now work with that wood. Pity, as it makes a very fine top.

Hi Germain

If you don't get anywhere with Stuart let me know, I'm pretty sure I have a spare set of baritone sides somewhere which will easily make a pair of tops. Probably very similar to these:

Yew Sides.jpg

i have a question. yew weighs 42# per cubic foot. this is in the realm of american white ash and oak.
do the heavier woods have limitations in using them for tops? a lot of lighter woods, 38#/cu.' and below, are used for tops, mahogany, walnut, hawaiian ash, cherry, and of course spruce and cedar. do the lighter woods make soundboards that are more live and speak better.

Oh, yummy! That's really very pretty! Exactly how I like it. These would make a very nice uke indeed!
Thanks for the offer. I'm waiting to see if Stuart and I can work something out and I'll keep you posted. :)
Hi Germain

If you don't get anywhere with Stuart let me know, I'm pretty sure I have a spare set of baritone sides somewhere which will easily make a pair of tops. Probably very similar to these:

View attachment 88443

What Sven said - Stuart provided me with some lovely yew.
But be careful - the dust and shavings cause me an allergic reaction which got worse each time, so I don't think I can now work with that wood. Pity, as it makes a very fine top.
Thanks for the warning. I have a few unfinished items made of yew around the house, and never noticed anything, but I'll be careful.

i have a question. yew weighs 42# per cubic foot. this is in the realm of american white ash and oak.
do the heavier woods have limitations in using them for tops? a lot of lighter woods, 38#/cu.' and below, are used for tops, mahogany, walnut, hawaiian ash, cherry, and of course spruce and cedar. do the lighter woods make soundboards that are more live and speak better.

I don't know. I have played a couple of yewkuleles, and they sounded very good, and it certainly wasnot due to my (poor) playing! It's traditionally used for lute ribs, I believe, but that may well be because it's not so easy to find even, knot-free board that are big enough to tops.

Hi Germain

View attachment 88443
Oooh - if Stuart helps mainger out I'd be tempted by those sides. Darn it, I shouldn't look at pics on the internet.

Sven

There is loads of Yew on eBay like this ... just search for "Yew Timber" .. Sven will show yew how to saw it into tops.;)

Last edited:
There is loads of Yew on eBay like this ... just search for "Yew Timber" .. Sven will show yew how to saw it into tops.;)

Thanks, but you know what, I've been an active eBay member for over 15 years, 375 impeccable transactions both buying and selling. eBay still is a place I really like. However, the only negative experiences I've had were when buying wood. Unless the supplier was a proper tonewood supplier, I've ended up with stuff which was never as usable as I hoped it would be. Perfectly good sales (ie not scams or misrepresentations), but just not what I was after. Add to that the shipping to Japan and I'm sure you'll see why I'd rather not buy a whole log :D !

Looks nice, though... Yew really does look nice.

I made this tenor guitar with yew from Stuart - the pin knots were no trouble, and the sapwood (although a little soft) was solid enough to use.

20160117_153944_zpsivwox5e4.jpg

I made this tenor guitar with yew from Stuart - the pin knots were no trouble, and the sapwood (although a little soft) was solid enough to use.

20160117_153944_zpsivwox5e4.jpg

that's a nice looking instrument grain reading well. how does it play? any comments on darkness or otherwise?

Oo er - making a meal of this. First: anyone can get an allergic reaction to any wood. I have Makore which is meant to be am aggressive irritant. I don't find it so yet macassar ebony has me in a rash even before I've got the sand paper out! Second: you really must be aware what you are looking at on eBay. A vendor who post one image isn't being that honest. The one who puts up multiple shots of the same face is similarly being less than open. The important shot you need as a wood buyer is the end grain view. Third: These words need to appear in the description. "My father's/my business's old stock". The word 'new' will give you a clear idea to avoid the purchase unless you are willing to season it yourself. Just be sensible and buy from Stuart if he is prepared to sell!

I'd buy this plank from ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ENGLISH-Y...RAFTS-1195-L-x-283-W-x-33-D-426-/172091429219

Top Bottom