Buying yew...?

Ok, so Mainger and Sven would like the sides half each, and Sean would like some Yew action also. Clearly one set of sides doesn't go three ways, so I am happy to part with this set also.

Yew 9.jpg

But this set cost me £30 so I would need to charge the same to cover the costs. The dimensions (mm) are marked on the sets. Between the 3 of you doo you want to work out who is having what and then I will send accordingly. I foresee many trips to the post office.

Giles

:)

Ok so as the most junior member here and also third to the party, I'm happy to take left-overs. I am just starting out building, so really just interested in playing with different woods and trying stuff out.

Mainger and Sven should get first choice at what ever suits them and if there's wood left, I would enjoy enough for a tenor top. Not even sure I could do the wood justice.

Wow, Giles, that's a really kind thing to do. This is how the internet can be amazing. Amazing.

Sean, "Seniority" has no meaning in my eyes. However, we're talking about soprano-sized pieces here, I don't think that there's enough for a tenor top.

The B&S set looks wonderful. I was looking for a yew top, but I have a nice piece of old fir that could make an interesting combination. Ooh, so many ideas, so little time!

Sven, what is your pick?

Germain

im looking for Yew burl veneer if anyone knows of a place

I have a massive yew tree at the bottom of my garden. Reading this thread makes me want to buy a chainsaw ... but I'm in a conservation area so would need permission from the Pope's wife to cut it down and we all know that ain't gonna happen. Guess the squirrels and birds can live in it for a few more decades/centuries.

I'd happily pay good money for half a set of sides. That'd give me a book matched soprano top which is exactly what I want. I could also buy a whole set of sides but I think posting them cut in half is easier.

Giles, if you want to save on postage you can ship to me and I'll forward to Germain in Japan.

Sorry if this turned out to be trouble for you as you only were kind enough to offer those left over sides! Never whisper "free wood" in a room full of builders...

Sven

OK, so the way I see it is that this was Mainger's thread, so if you want the B&S set I will send you that and then I will cut the other sides in two and send half each to Sven and Sean - does that seem to be a reasonable outcome?

Can each of you PM me your addresses and then I can get some parcels made up.

I have a massive yew tree at the bottom of my garden. Reading this thread makes me want to buy a chainsaw ... but I'm in a conservation area so would need permission from the Pope's wife to cut it down and we all know that ain't gonna happen. Guess the squirrels and birds can live in it for a few more decades/centuries.

Yew could wait until it starts to decay and become unsafe. You might have a lengthy wait, yew is fairly long lived tree at around 500 - 600 years. It's also our churchyard tree, just as cypress is in the mediterranean countries. An instrument of yew with a cypress soundboard would be quite a thing. It would also smell divine.

I understand that the Yew Tree is like a strawberry plant..the branches grow longer and longer until they come in contact with the ground ..then they start to root where they contact..eventually the rooted branches grow into new trees..so the original tree can evolve into many new trees.

Top Bottom