Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NUD - RISA Solid Concert

Default NUD - RISA Solid Concert

Have been spending this afternoon having a ball with a new RISA Solid Concert. Used to have the soprano version and traded it a while back - silly mistake!

RISA Solids ("Sticks") are special, and take some getting used to. There is no headstock. The sound (unless amped) is muted. The size makes holding it a bit trickier than other stringed instruments. However, now that I have another one, this one is not getting away for any reason. At 19.5"x3.5"x1.5" it's the perfect traveller - will fit any suitcase or carryon with ease. Also, being a solid, there's no worry about a body getting crushed.

Being somewhat unconventional, have retuned the RISA to C4-G3-D4-A4, "reentrant C" CGDA to match with the rest of the stable. The intonation is spot on. the "zero fret" needs no adjustment and action height couldn't be better.

The hardest part of the purchase was waiting for delivery. The seller did everything right (insured priority mail, signature confirmation), but USPS misdirected to another locale (despite a clean and perfect address label). That added six additional transit days.

Well, back to the new stablemate.

image.jpg
    ...SteveZ

Ukuleles: Oscar Schmidt OU28T (T8), Lanikai LU-6 (T6), RISA Solid (C), Effin UkeStart (C), Flea (S)**
    Banjo-Ukes: Duke 10 (T)*, Lanikai LB6-S (S)*
    Tenor Guitars: Martin TEN515, Blueridge BR-40T
    Tenor Banjo: Deering Goodtime 17-Fret
    Mandolin: Burgess (#7)***

* CGDA reentrant, **DAEB, ***GDAE, The rest are CGDA

The inventory is always in some flux, but that's part of the fun.

Congratulations, these things are so cool!

Your ex-soprano is still happily getting played here!

Quote Originally Posted by aquadan View Post
    Your ex-soprano is still happily getting played here!
    Glad to know that. They are fabulous instruments. Have you found a particular portable amp you like with it? I have a Joyo plug-in that I was using with my Effin. Just ordered a "Smokey Amp" to try with the RISA. Would like to have one that fits in the RISA gig bag.
    ...SteveZ

Ukuleles: Oscar Schmidt OU28T (T8), Lanikai LU-6 (T6), RISA Solid (C), Effin UkeStart (C), Flea (S)**

Congrats Steve. I just picked up a RISA Tenor Stick and am really happy with it as well. Fits almost invisibly in the suitcase. What strings are on yours? I haven't changed mine which are some sort of flouro.

As far as amps, I am playing with a Blackstar Fly3. It is small, has 3 watts which is plenty, and doubles as an MP3 type speaker which I always bring with anyway, so I now I have one speaker for two jobs. I wish it had bluetooth but they have devices that will make them BT compatible, so I will be checking into that. The color of mine is black, but they do have decorator colors. It won't fit in the gig bag, but it will fit nicely in the suitcase. If you find one that you like, please let me know. I have another week or so before I must return it.

Use it well.
    Last edited by rappsy; 02-19-2016 at 05:22 PM.

Congratulations. They're great! Definitely one of the best if you travel a lot/ stay in hotels/ have easily-annoyed neighbors with thin walls who don't "appreciate" the late nite uke'ing. Quality instrument. I got rid of mine awhile ago and wish I'd had kept it.
    "If a lot of people play the ukulele, the world would be a better place to live."

Congrats! I love the look of Risa sticks. I'm hoping I get to fondle one at some point so I can see if we're compatible.

That added six additional transit days.

Yikes!! That's like a month in ukulele time.

Rise concert stick was my very first uke. Probably sold it too soon.

@photoshooter - another one just popped up on the market place. I think it has your name on it.
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, B reentrant
    Jupiter #71, A, UG1

!Flukutronic!

Quote Originally Posted by rappsy View Post
    Congrats Steve. I just picked up a RISA Tenor Stick and am really happy with it as well. Fits almost invisibly in the suitcase. What strings are on yours? I haven't changed mine which are some sort of flouro.

As far as amps, I am playing with a Blackstar Fly3. It is small, has 3 watts which is plenty, and doubles as an MP3 type speaker which I always bring with anyway, so I now I have one speaker for two jobs. I wish it had bluetooth but they have devices that will make them BT compatible, so I will be checking into that. The color of mine is black, but they do have decorator colors. It won't fit in the gig bag, but it will fit nicely in the suitcase. If you find one that you like, please let me know. I have another week or so before I must return it.

Use it well.
    Did not change all the strings out. I replaced the high-G with a wound low-G, switched the C and G, detuned the E to D and left the A alone. That gets me the CGDA pattern with reentrant C. I'll keep a set of Aquila 31U strings in the gig bag as just-in-case since the RISA is planned mainly as a traveller.
    ...SteveZ

I almost never plug it in, it's my office uke/travel uke, so I'm usually happy that it's so quiet.

Thread Information