Battery Powered Mini Amp - Need recommendations

rappsy

Reaction score
Has anyone used this or something like it? I will be connecting a RISA tenor stick to it, so it has to have a volume control as the RISA doesn't. It must have a speaker. I don't need a headphone amp.

I like this as it has a MP3 Player built in with a Micro SD card which can be used to play music or play background while you plug in the instrument. This is appealing. It also looks small enough to go in the RISA travel bag.

http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Mult...=1456333588&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=aroma+amp

There are YouTube Videos and it looks nice

I saw the Joyo JO-1 but it has no volume control.

I have been told about the Smokey amps which also look good for a basic amp.

Any other recommendations?

Thanks.

I have a little Roland Microcube amplifier. Runs off AC or batteries. Seems to work well for me with a Pono ukulele.

Cant get much smaller than a Danelectro N-10 HoneyTone.

$20 or less, basically everywhere, in 5 different colors, runs of a 9v batt (1 watt), or wall power (5 watts)

I have the off-white version, and it's great for simple amplification. I use mine for bench-testing my audio circuits.

Even at FULL volume, your neighbors will likely be unable to hear it, but 2 ft. away this little puppy can crank, especially if you like your sound with some grit.
0-280d51e84713ae4c47ba_image.jpg

3-280d51e84713ae4c47ba_image.jpg

1-280d51e84713ae4c47ba_image.jpg

2-280d51e84713ae4c47ba_image.jpg

My main amp is a Roland Micro Cube GX, mains/battery powered, comes with power adapter.

My first bought amp was a Danelectro N-10 HoneyTone, battery powered, (can take a power adapter, but not included)

Both work OK with my RISA.

(I have just ordered a JOYO JA-01 2W Guitar Mini Amplifier to see how it works out, as I could walk around anywhere with this plugged in. :) )

+1 Danelectro Honeytone, also worth looking at are Orange Micro Crush and Fender Mini Deluxe. Microcube is kind of a step-up from these and is arguably a better choice if you want to spend the extra cash.

I would recommend trying to find reviews on YouTube and listening to the amps in action. All are slightly different tonally and a lot depends on what sort of sound you're after.

I have a honetone and it works fine. I don't necessarily think that its performance grade, but it does a good job as a kitchen table amp. I use mine more for bass since its easier than lugging around a 20lb+ amp.

Blackstar Fly 3 is an amazing bit of kit, maybe more for electric guitar, the overdriven tones are immense for such a small amp, but there's enough clean headroom for a uke, it's battery powered with an aux input for jamming to recordings or rhythm box.

Got the Honeytone, the Joyo Mini and the Smokey Mini (came yesterday). They all are okay in their own right.

The Honeytone is the largest of the three and has the best sound reproduction, and has controls. The Joyo has no controls and doesn't require a cable, so fits easily in the RISA gig bag for smooth storage and transport. The Smokey also is control-less, but requires a cable. The Smokey is louder and a bit clearer than the Joyo, but the cable bulks up the storage space need, so it really doesn't work for me with the RISA stick.

Tried the Smokey with the Effin UkeStart and love it. The Effin has its own controls and its gig bag can hold the amp and cable in an acceptable manner.

So, the bottom line for my use is the Smokey for the Effin, the Joyo for the RISA and the HoneyTone for the rest of the uke stable (all except the Flea are wired).

I Have a Yamaha THR5A which I guess most would consider on the top size threshold for a 'mini' amp. It runs on 8 AA batteries and AC Power. Loud and is designed for acoustic instruments.

I would think that there would be a size/loudness,clarity ratio that would be constant within the laws that govern our physical universe.

My poor honeytone acts like its constantly building an overload. it pulses the red light then cuts out, then comes on again then cuts out. Boohoo.

My poor honeytone acts like its constantly building an overload. it pulses the red light then cuts out, then comes on again then cuts out. Boohoo.

Could it be that the Honeytone just can't handle the blistering hot licks you're pumping into it, bnolsen...??? :music:

In order of price, would go for the Blackstar, Roland & Yamaha.

My friend has a Honeytone & it can't compare with the three listed above.

Top Bottom