Guitar Forums

Teek

Reaction score
I've been a member on UU since 2009, before that I lurked, I've paid for VIP and additionally 2 years on UUU which I don't use but paid anyway because the guys deserve the funds. But UU has changed so much over the last couple of years that I always seem to come away feeling blue. All the people who made it feel like family in 2008-2010 are pretty much gone, or don't post anymore.

I used to read a LOT on UU about how rude and aggressive people in guitar forums were. I'm not really seeing it with guitar players. Maybe because I'm on AGF and maybe brand fan sites, like UMGF and others people are nicer. People are genuinely helpful, they make useful suggestions and relevant comments. In general nobody gets immediately insulting if someone inadvertently sticks their foot in their mouth, and there's a lot of good humor about stuff. They may defend their own brand to the death but do it with humor and you have the right to do the same without being wrong. So since I'm currently studying guitar my forum time has been mostly spent in guitar forums. Or, well, on reddit. ;)

So if you're not already there, check out the best which are Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum, Acoustic Guitar Forum, Harmony Central, and if you like Larrivee they have a small little forum that's informative and fun. Be aware they like donuts!

If you want to pick a teacher and a study course, there will often be related forums there as well, where people help each other with lessons and share their technique and shortcuts and ah hah moments. I like the Blues Guitar Unleashed and Guitar Principles courses and also the forums. Those you need a password from the owner/ publisher of the course. Stevie Snacks has Texas Blues Alley, no forum but a lot of great free lessons on his website.

On a side note, the slack key guitar community is very much infused with the true aloha spirit. It's just so refreshing to actually experience the real thing!

PS: Classical is fun too, it's more esoteric but lots of good info here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom