Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Logical Next Step

Question The Logical Next Step

I have a musical background in practically everything but strings (piano, oboe, bass drum, mallets, Xaphoon, etc.), so I can read music, count rhythms, etc.

I'm working through Ukulele for the Complete Ignoramus on my Kindle, but feel that it may not keep me interested for too much longer. I have Uncle Rod's Bootcamp downloaded, printed, and am playing with the first page of it. I have The Daily Ukulele and can find plenty of music to play.

Other than practice, practice, practice, and quit looking too far ahead, what would be the logical next step to improve skill-wise once I've gone through Ukulele for the Complete Ignoramus and Uncle Rod's Bootcamp?

Also, can you play guitar tabs on a ukulele just fine? Because if so, I think I may have enough Disney music to last a lifetime. My oboe teacher in high school had me play Scales and Arpeggios from Aristocats to get me to practice my scales and arpeggios, if that tells you anything.

A chord is a chord, be it played on a guitar or on a uke, the difference is in the fingering, so yes, you have music you can play on it.

If, as I suspect, you want to sing along, you will find an enormous amount of songs (chords & lyrics) on the internet, but there is a dearth of proper tab for us finger pickers.
    (I am having to create tab from notation most of the time.)

Of course once you feel you need another challenge, check out the Seasons thread.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by uke1950 View Post
    A chord is a chord, be it played on a guitar or on a uke, the difference is in the fingering, so yes, you have music you can play on it.

If, as I suspect, you want to sing along, you will find an enormous amount of songs (chords & lyrics) on the internet, but there is a dearth of proper tab for us finger pickers.
    (I am having to create tab from notation most of the time.)

Of course once you feel you need another challenge, check out the Seasons thread.
    I'm hoping that I can get to the point where if I want to finger pick, I can just sight read for the most part, but yes, most of what I will be doing will probably be sing-along for now. I'll hunt down the Seasons thread at some point.

This is an extremely iconic youtube that pretty much changed the ukulele world. it does answer your question about tabs and what can be done...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puSkP3uym5k

John

Additional information...

My first musical instrument was the piano. I played by reading sheet music. I went on to playing guitar. After a few years I went back to playing piano, but this time I took my guitar chord structure and applied to to the piano and moved away from sheet music, per se, for the left hand.

I never played instrumentals on the guitar, but that is what I primarily play on the ukulele. And it really is no more than integrating a melody around chord structures and with your musical background, you should be able to understand what notes work with what chords.

If you want to play Disney, work out the melody on the uke and integrate chords and see if that works for you. And of course there are tabs for the ukulele and don't dismiss youtube for giving you a good visual of how it is done.

Have fun.

John

I'm playing, playing, playing scales and arpeggios up and down with one of my stringed instruments. I plan on using it for fingerpicking from my huge collection of music. In order to do that I'll have to know where the notes are on the instrument. I'm also training myself to play some other stringed instruments by ear.

I'm an old fogey, and I too play lots of different instruments. I don't care for tabs very much, and, though I can read them, I'm just not comfortable with them. I just don't see the point of them either.

Since you're just learning and can read music, why don't you give scales a try? You can work them out by ear or use some of your old music books.

If I wasn't so aged, I'd like to learn to play the oboe. I have lots of different flutes, and I play them all the time.
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBE - Finger style
    Gold Tone “Mini” Travel banjo - Steel GCEA - Noodling
    Luna “Peace” concert - CGBD Plectrum music

Kala tenor eight string - gGcCEEAA Strum ‘n Sing

Flea "Red" concert - Hi-G CEA - Wall hanger
    Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B Wall hanger
    Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano - Wall hanger
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift - Bookshelf

God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Down Up Dick View Post
    I'm also training myself to play some other stringed instruments by ear.

I'm an old fogey, and I too play lots of different instruments. I don't care for tabs very much, and, though I can read them, I'm just not comfortable with them. I just don't see the point of them either.
    It is so nice to know that someone else has trouble with tabs. In all my years of playing guitar and ukulele, I just never could use them. They are great for giving a starting point and a little insight, but I do better working things out myself. When I write down what I am doing with a song, I'll do it in sections showing the basic notes (shape) on a fretboard and add notes (comments) of how to play the melody. Once I learn a song and get that structure down, it doesn't take much to refresh my memory down the road if I have forgotten something.

John

Yes, it is nice to know that I'm not the only anti-tabber. Now, if I only had some way to memorize stuff.
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBE - Finger style
    Gold Tone “Mini” Travel banjo - Steel GCEA - Noodling
    Luna “Peace” concert - CGBD Plectrum music

Kala tenor eight string - gGcCEEAA Strum ‘n Sing

Flea "Red" concert - Hi-G CEA - Wall hanger
    Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B Wall hanger
    Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano - Wall hanger
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift - Bookshelf

God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

James Hill could be right up your street
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wzsE67O5tE

Quote Originally Posted by Down Up Dick View Post
    I'm playing, playing, playing scales and arpeggios up and down with one of my stringed instruments. I plan on using it for fingerpicking from my huge collection of music. In order to do that I'll have to know where the notes are on the instrument. I'm also training myself to play some other stringed instruments by ear.

Since you're just learning and can read music, why don't you give scales a try? You can work them out by ear or use some of your old music books.

If I wasn't so aged, I'd like to learn to play the oboe. I have lots of different flutes, and I play them all the time.
    I could play Scales and Arpeggios on the ukulele!

Oboe is a blast, I just can't afford one. I have a Pocket Xaphoon, but I just don't feel the urge to play with it often enough even though it is pretty awesome. (http://www.xaphoon.com/)

Thread Information