The Logical Next Step

I think most people adapt to the lack of room on the fretboard. Some people find that they need to adapt the size of their ukulele (scale) and get a concert or tenor. You need to work through the chords with a soprano and have some proficiency so if you try a larger size ukulele you will know if it will help or not.

If you have a chance to see youtubes of John King (RIP), it is pretty amazing what can be done on a soprano. It is beyond what most ukulele players can do on any scale.

John

I'll look him up.

If possible for you, next logical step for me was to join a local uke club. Otherwise, lost of video tutorials/lessons online incuding those here on UU. I generally don't recommend how to books until you know exactly what you want to learn, which book you need, why you need it, and some understanding of how it will fulfill that need.

No local uke clubs, not even in the next bigger city, at least not that I can find online. I've been watching some videos online, but we have limited internet where we live so I can't watch a ton, sadly. Although it does seem to be going faster today... ;)

It will come.
It's nice to be able to finger chords in different ways. What fingering I use depends on what comes next. I have found if I finger D with 3 fingers instead of one I will get a better tone. My fun goal is to learn the goofy E chord, not the easy ones.

Yeah, I'll definitely need to learn alternate versions. Some of my favorite fingerings on the oboe were the weird ones that most other people didn't use, but they felt good to me!

My problem with D is stacking my fingers together that tightly!

You can use just one finger for D major, too. Petey went over numerous ways of playing D, depending on where you come from and where you want to go in the song:

As for Ukulele Aerobics, I really like it, and if I could only have one book, that would be it. The key is to look at the weekly exercises as study units, not as something you must have mastered or even completed within a week for each set. If you try to do one set per week, the book will overwhelm you and leave you in the dust within a few weeks. But as learning unis, the sets are fantastic because they build upon each other and cover a wide area. It's not a flawless book, but it's the one book I feel every improver can greatly benefit from without having to focus on one specific area.

I'd recommend against getting too many books. I did this, and I don't feel it was a good approach for the first year of learning.

I think trying to play songs with D and D7 in your first week, could mean you're going too fast, too. :)

I'd recommend against getting too many books. I did this, and I don't feel it was a good approach for the first year of learning.

I think trying to play songs with D and D7 in your first week, could mean you're going too fast, too. :)

I'll watch that video once I have my headphones. I should probably keep just going with the book I have on Kindle (Ukulele for the Complete Ignoramus), but the songs quit amusing me because they're using a bunch I've never heard, so I started looking for songs I do know...

Last edited:
I think having fun and enjoying yourself is more important than following a study plan anyway. But I still often wish I had one, because it's so easy to flop around all over the place if you learn aimlessly.

Petey's videos are all fantastic. He's both a good showman and a gifted teacher, as well as an excellent player. I'm always thrilled when I want to learn something and he's got a video up on the subject. :)

I think having fun and enjoying yourself is more important than following a study plan anyway. But I still often wish I had one, because it's so easy to flop around all over the place if you learn aimlessly.

Petey's videos are all fantastic. He's both a good showman and a gifted teacher, as well as an excellent player. I'm always thrilled when I want to learn something and he's got a video up on the subject. :)

Yeah, I decided that I better figure out how to teach myself at least the basics, because while I might end up mostly strumming, I still want to know where the notes are and the book I was using wasn't really giving me that. I went to Hastings and picked up Hal Leonard's Ukulele Method 1 book. I figure I can spend a week deliberating over which book on Amazon is best, or I can just go to the store and find something that does well enough and start playing.

I'm about to watch it, as our internet seems to be cooperating this morning.

I have a musical background in practically everything but strings (piano, oboe, bass drum, mallets, Xaphoon, etc.), so I can read music, count rhythms, etc.

I'm working through Ukulele for the Complete Ignoramus on my Kindle, but feel that it may not keep me interested for too much longer. I have Uncle Rod's Bootcamp downloaded, printed, and am playing with the first page of it. I have The Daily Ukulele and can find plenty of music to play.

Other than practice, practice, practice, and quit looking too far ahead, what would be the logical next step to improve skill-wise once I've gone through Ukulele for the Complete Ignoramus and Uncle Rod's Bootcamp?

Also, can you play guitar tabs on a ukulele just fine? Because if so, I think I may have enough Disney music to last a lifetime. My oboe teacher in high school had me play Scales and Arpeggios from Aristocats to get me to practice my scales and arpeggios, if that tells you anything. ;)

I play a few different instruments as well, including Xaphoon.

I have found very few good Xaphoon videos which involved any kind of ensemble playing (plenty of solo vids). The instrument can't be tuned at all, so I have to retune other instruments to match, kind of a pain.

How is your overall music theory knowledge? I would strongly suggest you learn about how to construct chords. Once you understand the theory, you can easily modify fingerings to help you.

Yes you can use guitar tabs on a uke just fine, for chords. However, you will have transposed the music up a fourth, and the voicings will be a bit different, because the fourth string notes will be an octave higher. For example, the D7 tab from a guitar book becomes a G7 on a uke with a slightly different sound (the root is raised an octave). If you are playing single note lines, again you're up a fourth, but now that higher fourth string can be problematic. You'd probably just be better off reading standard notation.

Last edited:
Yes, it is nice to know that I'm not the only anti-tabber. Now, if I only had some way to memorize stuff. :eek:ld:

I have been SAVAGELY attacked on other forums for suggesting that people learn how to read music.

Yeah, I know, bookoo, they really hang on to their tabs, and they really fight learning to read music. What I like is books with both tabs AND music on the staff.

I'm trying to learn to read tabs on my tin whistles and mouth harps. Then I will be able to easily preview tabbed pieces. I can already read DGBD tabs on a TW and can read any music written without accidentals (Tin whistles are diatonic.), so I'm on my way.

Well, learning new stuff keeps me busy. :eek:ld:

Last edited:
I have been SAVAGELY attacked on other forums for suggesting that people learn how to read music.

There is a German proverb that translates to "the tone makes the music", meaning that an outcome often depends on how something, e.g. a suggestion, is presented.

In discussions about the pros and cons of tabs, I feel that they are frequently encumbered by the fact that some participants had never actually seen good tabs, with rests and rhythm and so on. Tabs are a form of musical notation, so people who use advanced tabs already do read music. If someone only speaks English and you come along and suggest that maybe they should learn how to speak a real language that isn't quite as simple linguistically, you might find yourself under attack. :) Someone, in a previous discussion, had posted quality tabs that illustrate that point.

There's probably less opposition if the suggestion is made to learn DIFFERENT ways of reading music. What you refer to is just one way, just like English is just one language (you can write deep books in other languages, too, or even in English!), and it's pretty abstract and constructed, far less intuitive than tabulature (in case of stringed instruments). It, too, is only an approximation, it's not music itself.

I feel that being competent at reading different forms of notation, tabs included, is as beneficial as being fluent in multiple languages. Both opens up entirely new horizons, and both gives you more tools to express yourself.

If you haven't already, download a fingerboard map.

This site may also be of interest, http://www.gotaukulele.com/p/ukulele-chord-charts.html

I printed one out, and need to print out another copy because my husband promptly stole it. I also have that same chord chart from the same lady, but I got it from somewhere completely different and don't remember where. ETA: Apparently, it came from HERE. http://ukuleleunderground.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/fretboarddiagram.pdf

How is your overall music theory knowledge? I would strongly suggest you learn about how to construct chords. Once you understand the theory, you can easily modify fingerings to help you.

Yes you can use guitar tabs on a uke just fine, for chords. However, you will have transposed the music up a fourth, and the voicings will be a bit different, because the fourth string notes will be an octave higher. For example, the D7 tab from a guitar book becomes a G7 on a uke with a slightly different sound (the root is raised an octave). If you are playing single note lines, again you're up a fourth, but now that higher fourth string can be problematic. You'd probably just be better off reading standard notation.

Overall musical theory was much better way back when. I should try to learn more of it again. I was much better at playing than theory tests.

(Pssssst...can I sic you on my husband?)

Last edited:

No one needs to read notation if tab is available, however, if it isn't, then it is necessary to be able to write your own from notation, & that means having a rudimentary understanding of notation, so I agree that it is beneficial to be able to read notation.

(Just that in my case, my brain is very slow from seeing it to being able to play it at the right frets.) :)

Tab is just a quick way into playing music, but you really need to know how the tune/song goes to use it.

If my brain would co-operate better, my first choice would be to read the notation to learn new tunes. :eek:ld:

Edit: Tab is like shorthand music. ;)

Last edited:
Bill, I already have a few songs in mind to transcribe into TAB. Maybe I'll do that while we're out camping at the end of next week. I'll have to go through my big honkin' book of music of pick out which ones before we leave.

I have decided that I need to learn how to play the uke from the beginning because I don't like to have large gaps in what I "should" know as they always seem to come back to bite me later. I might mess around with concepts way over my head thus far (hence Margaritaville), but I do need to have the basics down.

Plus if my husband actually wants to progress beyond Twinkle Twinkle, that is probably how he will end up learning, and there's a good chance I'll end up having to teach him as he normally doesn't like trying to learn from books.

So, until we get a new mattress, my husband is sleeping in his recliner in the living room. I woke up at 6am for some reason this morning, and one of my first thoughts was, "Dang it, I should have brought the ukulele in here so I could practice."

Oh, it gets worse. I'm trying not to make much noise, since he doesn't get to sleep in much. I'm alternating between watching Youtube videos, reading UU, and watching IZ when the internet is arguing. And practicing strumming with all the strings held dead.

I'm now pondering if I can use a $2 nylon webbing strap (found in the camping section, used for bed rolls, generally) from Walmart in the same way a Mobius strap is used. :)

There is a German proverb that translates to "the tone makes the music", meaning that an outcome often depends on how something, e.g. a suggestion, is presented.

In discussions about the pros and cons of tabs, I feel that they are frequently encumbered by the fact that some participants had never actually seen good tabs, with rests and rhythm and so on. Tabs are a form of musical notation, so people who use advanced tabs already do read music. If someone only speaks English and you come along and suggest that maybe they should learn how to speak a real language that isn't quite as simple linguistically, you might find yourself under attack. :) Someone, in a previous discussion, had posted quality tabs that illustrate that point.

There's probably less opposition if the suggestion is made to learn DIFFERENT ways of reading music. What you refer to is just one way, just like English is just one language (you can write deep books in other languages, too, or even in English!), and it's pretty abstract and constructed, far less intuitive than tabulature (in case of stringed instruments). It, too, is only an approximation, it's not music itself.

I feel that being competent at reading different forms of notation, tabs included, is as beneficial as being fluent in multiple languages. Both opens up entirely new horizons, and both gives you more tools to express yourself.

+1

I can read standard notation, and I use it regularly when transcribing songs written for guitar or other instruments to the uke... but I still prefer good tabs. I can sight read them, just about at tempo. It just takes practice.

The 17th century guitar and lute masters all used tablature. (looks the same too, except it's upside down compared to modern tab)

I don't understand why anyone who can read music would transcribe it to tabs for the Uke. What do tabs give one that music doesn't?

I could see using tabs (mebbe) if ukers want to write a song that that they have heard and wish to learn or, perhaps, one which they wanna compose from scratch.

I suppose, if one can't read music, then tabs will do, but I guess I'm just an old fogey. I really enjoy learning new stuff. :eek:ld:

Top Bottom