The Logical Next Step

I don't understand why anyone who can read music would transcribe it to tabs for the Uke. What do tabs give one that music doesn't?

I could see using tabs (mebbe) if ukers want to write a song that that they have heard and wish to learn or, perhaps, one which they wanna compose from scratch.

I suppose, if one can't read music, then tabs will do, but I guess I'm just an old fogey. I really enjoy learning new stuff. :eek:ld:

I'd be transcribing mostly for the key and because I'm still learning where the notes are on the uke. Plus, I want to be fluent in reading both. I would write it out in standard notation, then add the tabs below. I found this paper: http://ukegeeks.com/downloads/blank-ukulele-staff-and-tablature-manuscript-paper.pdf

Referring back to the OP. We have a person who has some musical experience in a single note wind instrument looking to progress on a ukulele.
This is just one of several approaches that can build on your current knowledge and experience. One thing that will help a lot no matter what you do is finding some ukulele calisthenics, you do the exercises to grow your muscles not your music so don't worry what they sound like.
Learning the ukulele is a good opportunity to change from a focus on the melody part to the rhythm chordal part of the music. If you adopt this as an overall goal, to go along with using the ukulele for musical relaxation, you can give yourself a focus to look ahead to see where you could go. So maybe read a book about rhythm and percussion, use your uke as a musical drum to play the exercises in chords.
Other things you could try.
Just follow the usual path of learning a C chord and working up to more chords, following tunes learned from videos or in a group. This is the path to musical recreation and relaxation, but it may not be much of a musical challenge.
Or you could use a fretboard map to work out scales, I would start with Db major starting on first fret of C string, and the scale pattern on the fret board. Move along to Eb which starts at the 3rd fret, then F at the fifth fret etc.. The pattern repeats all along the fretboard. You already must know some single note melodies from the wind instrument, so after learning where the scales are, noodle out the melodies you know by ear or from reading, it makes no difference. Then as you get smooth with single notes, add in the thirds using two fretting fingers, then add in the fifth with three fretting fingers, then add a colour note like a 7th, 6th, 8th, 9th, b5 etc. with your fourth finger. Arpeggiate or strum, it makes no difference while you are getting started. You will end up playing a chord melody. Then bury the melody in between a bass note (low 6th?) and treble note (3rd). This takes four lines to write and maybe two years work to achieve.
Or if you enjoy classical music, find some music which has notes from C D E F G A B c d e f g a (I have left out # and b). This is the range of notes on your ukulele. You can arrange any music with these notes on your ukulele. Or there are some books which have the music arranged for you.
Or if you like another genre, find a music book or video from the genre and transpose the music into the range shown above and just play it straight from the book or video, starting very simple with a (sung?) single note melody and a very simple strum pattern. As you get to know the tune more, improve the strum pattern and chords.
A thing to remember with a string instrument compared to the wind instrument, apart from a chordal approach, is that you can always use your second instrument, your voice to accompany your playing, and you can do exercises to develop your voice when you get bored with ukulele practice.

Excellent advice. I have recently returned to the basics by practicing (major and blues) scales and find it has really helped in developing muscle memory for chords, fretboard note memory, and advancing to playing chord melodies. And it's a nice diversion from trying to learn songs. Check out http://liveukulele.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/major-scales.pdf - it has tabs and notation. I just created a practice sheet for myself with the notes annotated and it has proven a great little exercise to go through. Of course Uncle Rod's bootcamp is great too.

I don't understand why anyone who can read music would transcribe it to tabs for the Uke. What do tabs give one that music doesn't?

Exact fingering. There are four identical "A" notes in the middle octave alone. I'm no expert, but I don't think standard notation has any way to distinguish which one to play, does it?

Exact fingering. There are four identical "A" notes in the middle octave alone. I'm no expert, but I don't think standard notation has any way to distinguish which one to play, does it?

No, it doesn't, but the artists can play whichever one that they wanna play. If Ukers don't wanna think or make choices, then I guess tabs are a good thing for 'em. Perhaps I missed that in my thinkin'.

A long time ago, there usta be a little box with buttons on it that Ukers could attach to the neck of their instruments. Then all they had to was strum along and press one of the buttons for the chords. Too bad there wasn't something to strum for them too.

Well, I've whined about the silly tabs before to no avail. Maybe I'm getting even more fogeyish then I thought. :eek:ld:

If Ukers don't wanna think or make choices, then I guess tabs are a good thing for 'em. Perhaps I missed that in my thinkin'.
Tabs allow someone to play more quickly than learning notation.

A long time ago, there usta be a little box with buttons on it that Ukers could attach to the neck of their instruments. Then all they had to was strum along and press one of the buttons for the chords.
Good for someone with arthritis, no doubt.

Well, I've whined about the silly tabs before to no avail. Maybe I'm getting even more fogeyish then I thought. :eek:ld:
Quite likely! :D

OK, next fun question. I've tuned it with a tuner, it sounds in tune, then I play an F chord. 2-0-1-0. Sounds wrong. First and third strings are going sharp. I'm putting my fingers right behind the frets. Any suggestions? From messing around with it more, everything that isn't played open is going sharp, the F chord is just the one I notice it more on.

OK, next fun question. I've tuned it with a tuner, it sounds in tune, then I play an F chord. 2-0-1-0. Sounds wrong. First and third strings are going sharp. I'm putting my fingers right behind the frets. Any suggestions? From messing around with it more, everything that isn't played open is going sharp, the F chord is just the one I notice it more on.

Sounds like the nut slots need to be lowered, or you have incorrect strings on it, or too many wraps on the posts.

Sounds like the nut slots need to be lowered, or you have incorrect strings on it, or too many wraps on the posts.

The strings are the ones that the shop put on. I have a set of Aguila strings that I can change them for later. The strings are wound around the posts several times. What's a nut slot?

20160305_165613.jpg

When you play the F chord. Just play the F note for this exercise. First ram the string as hard as you can against the fretboard and check your tuner. Then fret the string with just enough pressure to make the F note ring, as lightly as possible and check your tuner. Then try to get a middle pressure and check the tuner. If there is a difference, watch the tuner for F display, and keep strumming and adjusting the pressure until you get the F right in tune. Like adjusting the blowing pressure on your wind instrument, only using fretting pressure. Add in the A note on the G string and repeat to see if you can get the chord to sound good.
This is a good illustrative exercise, but it takes a lot of work to get the fretting pressure right on all the chords in a song or piece, especially four finger chords, on a uke that is not well set up, which I suspect is the case. If you think you can learn to adjust your fretting pressure to solve the problem, just adjust the fretting pressure. But if it is really bad, you may need to get the uke set up (again?) because it is likely that the nut is like 0.25mm high or low to get the best intonation.

It does change with adjusting the pressure, on both strings. Lighter pressure is better. The ukulele is as it came from the manufacturer. The only thing that was done to it was that the shop put new strings (that came with it - they couldn't tell me the type).

What's a nut slot?

Where each string goes through the nut. Those slots need to be cut to the appropriate depth, or it will take too much pressure to fret a note, pulling the string out of tune. This is part of any basic setup.

Where each string goes through the nut. Those slots need to be cut to the appropriate depth, or it will take too much pressure to fret a note, pulling the string out of tune. This is part of any basic setup.

So...probably not something I should try to fix by myself with a tiny hacksaw?

Seeing as it is an inexpensive ukulele if you have ever built a model or put on makeup you likely have the dexterity to pull off your own setup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbp7dApxAuE Diagnosis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGGz14ohX9Y Repair

Check out those two videos and decide if you want to try fixing things yourself. Their is another guy fixing a blue malhalo but his idea of popping the nut off to file from the bottom does not sit well with me. I use cheap files from the local Harbor Freight straight from China. Wasn't too hard to find a few with the shapes needed.

~Good Luck~

Seeing as it is an inexpensive ukulele if you have ever built a model or put on makeup you likely have the dexterity to pull off your own setup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbp7dApxAuE Diagnosis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGGz14ohX9Y Repair

Check out those two videos and decide if you want to try fixing things yourself. Their is another guy fixing a blue malhalo but his idea of popping the nut off to file from the bottom does not sit well with me. I use cheap files from the local Harbor Freight straight from China. Wasn't too hard to find a few with the shapes needed.

~Good Luck~

Spiffy! I will watch the videos, then consult with my husband and see if he's willing for me to try it right before he plans on using it for church camp (they have an UNtalent show!).

If you mess it up, then you will "have" to buy a new one for his camp, and then you have one each :).

So...probably not something I should try to fix by myself with a tiny hacksaw?

I lowered the nut slots on my incredibly cheap Chinese sopranino with a bread knife (which given I can't slice bread straight, was perhaps a little reckless), but I didn't really have anything to lose - the uke cost £20 shipped, and the intonation at the first few frets was terrible. It worked a treat! However, I certainly wouldn't try it on any of my other ukuleles :)

Glad to help. Next ukulele buy from a recommended seller that is known to set up the instrument. Unless your hubby finds he enjoys doing the work.

Now sorry to bring this up about tabs again in your thread but it leaves a bad taste.

The condescending tone being used by members here that should know better towards those simply using a different language than them isn't very becoming at all and quite silly. It could be off putting to someone who is new to any musical instrument and the opposite of what I see this forum is about.

~AL~

Glad to help. Next ukulele buy from a recommended seller that is known to set up the instrument. Unless your hubby finds he enjoys doing the work.

I've already started looking at HMS. I love listening to their sample videos! I think so far, I like the Luna soprano pineapple best in my price range. ;)

I lowered the nut slots on my incredibly cheap Chinese sopranino with a bread knife (which given I can't slice bread straight, was perhaps a little reckless), but I didn't really have anything to lose - the uke cost £20 shipped, and the intonation at the first few frets was terrible. It worked a treat! However, I certainly wouldn't try it on any of my other ukuleles :)

LOL! I bet I can find the right files to do it properly - I plan to watch the videos tomorrow at the library.

Top Bottom