Retractable Ukulele

DanielHulbert

Reaction score
Here's a project that I just finished. It falls into "needlessly elaborate" category, but here it is nonetheless.

Here is the Retractable Ukulele. The neck slides closer to the bridge for easier transport.

FullSizeRender1.jpg

It has a 13 inch scale length, and a overall length of 18 inches when extended.

FullSizeRender.jpg

When the neck is in the compact, the strings are drawn into the body through the soundboard with springs.

IMG_5084.jpg

The length is just 12.5 inches when retracted.

IMG_5094.jpg

The neck is secured in the extended and retracted positions with thumbscrews.

Here's a demo video:

Having been taught by old school artists about the old days in tattooing back when many things were borrowed and manipulated into items we use, utilizing many old techniques myself I like watching how people overcome obstacles which you seem to enjoy greatly.

Pleasantly shocked at the amount of sound it has. Looking at the pictures I was saying where is the jack to the under saddle piezo.

Thank you for sharing I cannot wait to see what you dream up next.

~AL~

WOW Daniel!

That's got to be the most mechanically-intricate thing yet that I've seen you build. I mean, the engineering of this is so well thought out, and it seems to be just perfect for travel and compactness.

How are the strings retracted by the springs? Are the strings threaded through or tied to a rod, which is then pulled by the spring tension once you release the neck?

It must have been a bit fiddly to find a set of springs with just the right amount of tension compared to the pull of the strings when tuned to pitch (~40-45 lbs typical for a soprano), no?

That subtle reverb is also really cool too. :)

Good job there! and thanks for sharing! :music:

Ben Doverlele

Great, Daniel. Reminds me of UUer Russell's uke. I'll try to find the vid, just in case it triggers ideas from your inventive mind. Superb work, though. Innovative. He says the strings stay in tune, though your video says otherwise for bending ukuleles.

Yea, here we go. Similar, but not the same. Russell's is sort of thick, but sounds great. Can you use a full chambered uke and still retract? That'd be keen.

Last edited:
I subscribe to your channel on Youtube, so I had already seen the video before I came across this thread, but I love seeing it again.

So clever! I love how creative you are. Good stuff!

Lincoln

Your inovations always floor me. Please keep them coming.

there's also Reid Shigemura's Pahulele (see YouTube videos).

keep uke'in',

Interesting, clever, and intriguing design. Fun video, too. :)

Would a pick-up work well with this?

How are the strings retracted by the springs? Are the strings threaded through or tied to a rod, which is then pulled by the spring tension once you release the neck?

Each pair of strings is connected to a nylon washer. When the neck is extended, the washers are flush against the bottom of the soundboard (just like a normal "string through" bridge).

Great, Daniel. Reminds me of UUer Russell's uke. I'll try to find the vid, just in case it triggers ideas from your inventive mind. Superb work, though. Innovative. He says the strings stay in tune, though your video says otherwise for bending ukuleles.

Yea, here we go. Similar, but not the same. Russell's is sort of thick, but sounds great. Can you use a full chambered uke and still retract? That'd be keen.

I've seen that folding ukulele before. It's really cool.

A lot of the folding instruments keep their tuning remarkably well. They just all have the problem of floppy strings.

I could do a full body uke with my same design. It just couldn't have a neck heel.

Top Bottom