Semi-Permanent Side Dot Markers

Larry U

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Yesterday, I took delivery of a new Mainland Mahogany Long Neck Pineapple Concert ukulele. It's a gorgeous instrument and sounds excellent. However, to my dismay, I found that it does not have side dot position markers, only the dots on the fretboard. I'm finding that, at this stage of my playing ability, I need to rely on side position markers once I get up above the fifth fret or so.

It looks like I have a few options: 1) I can take it to a local guitar repair guy (whom I trust to know what he's doing) and have him install the dots. 2) I can purchase the appropriate material and tools and try to do it myself (I don't have a lot of confidence in my ability to do this well). 0r, 3) Purchase some dry-transfer, semi-permanent, fret dots that can be applied to the side of the fretboard, but will eventually wear off/need replacement. Here's an example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Dry-Transfer-PearlWhite-Fret-Dots-Fret-Markers-for-Classical-Guitar-/290630410018?hash=item43aaec1f22:m:mcVQBAMKrGH8FuyH1-18RoA

Has anyone used these semi-permanent markers? Any opinions on the quality and durability? It's a cheap and dirty option, but I'm hoping that eventually I won't need the markers after my fretboard skills improve.

I do not have experience, but why would they wear out anytime soon? Unless your thumb comes over and rubs, they should last awhile. If you were adding them to the frets themselves I could see them wearing out pretty quickly.

I might get some of those.

EDIT: Ok, I bought some....so will have experience soon ;-)

Last edited:
I do not have experience, but why would they wear out anytime soon? Unless your thumb comes over and rubs, they should last awhile. If you were adding them to the frets themselves I could see them wearing out pretty quickly.

I might get some of those.

EDIT: Ok, I bought some....so will have experience soon ;-)
I was thinking they're basically decals stuck to the surface so they might not last forever. However, I think I'm going to join you in the experience and order a set right now. It's cheap enough that if it doesn't work out, it's no big deal.

I have one on the 5th fret of my Martin SO . Excellent so far , if you dont like it you can remove it with your fingernail. Mine looks like it will last a long time.
Great product.

Got a tiny snowflake dot sticker on the seventh, and an even smaller on on the fifteenth fret of an ukulele without any fretboard or side markers. Been there for two years, haven't come off yet.

Darn, that is a good idea. I would not be surprised to find Palm Trees, Whales or Turtles in the Fingernail decal section. I might have out to CVS on lunch.

With instruments with white binding to the fretboard, I first very carefully measure and mark with a pencil or other non-indelible marker. Assuming I perfectly happy with the position I then take a thick pin, needle, bradawl, bodkin or whatever and make a good deep prick (just a prick mind, we're not trying to stab it to death). This (slight) depression is then filled with ink from a felt-tip pen and allowed to dry. The whole depression can then be filed smooth if necessary, clean off any surplus ink or pencil marking and you're good to go :)

It's surprising how obvious a relatively small dot of black can be on white plastic !

It probably took me longer to write that than complete the job ;)

Rite-Aid, in the fingernail-decorating section. Got a whole pack of different sizes and shapes.

Oh, that is a great idea. Totally stealing it! Two of my ukes have only one side marker at 7, and it would be nice to have two more on each.

I have applied the dry adhesive vinyl transfer dots to a Pono baritone. It was easy to do and they look good. Because I don't roll my thumb over the top they don't wear or get frayed.

I had read a post like this about a year ago and several members recommended "JOCKOMO" an ebay dealer that specializes in this kind of thing. Just goggle jockomo ebay store and the listing will pop up. Great product, great price, you get twenty two 1/8" dots for about $6.00. This uke did not have a dot at the third fret on either the fretboard face or side. Because these were larger than the original side dots I put them over top of the ones already there.

20160313_073501.jpg20160313_074015.jpg20160313_074823.jpg20160313_074315.jpg

I have used white-out to mark side dots on dark fret boards. It stands out well and stays put but is reversible.

I've used cheap thin dots that rubbed off too soon, and also Jokomo dots and fret marker blocks, which are very good, but I really like the idea of fingernail stickers. I'm going to look at those.

Would there be anything wrong with just using a paint pen to apply dots? You could even do different colors for different spots...
Nothing wrong with it but I wouldn't trust myself to be able to create perfectly shaped and sized dots. And being somewhat of a klutz, I also don't trust myself with paint around a finely-finished wood instrument.

Nothing wrong with it but I wouldn't trust myself to be able to create perfectly shaped and sized dots. And being somewhat of a klutz, I also don't trust myself with paint around a finely-finished wood instrument.

Thanks.

You...might have a point there.

I just used a fine tip permanent marker pen - just dot with the tip on the neck opposite the frets. Works fine for me and when it wears out, easy to redo it. I've not found a problem with smudging as long as you're careful and give it time to dry properly before using the uke.

Top Bottom