Season 213 - It's A Long Island!

Long Island Music Hall of Fame Inductee Bob Gruen was John Lennon's personal photographer, offering some iconic images including the "New York City" t-shirt photo. This Lennon song was offered to honor Bob Gruen, and resides on the Island!

Last edited:
Long Island Music Hall of Fame Inductee Bob Gruen was John Lennon's personal photographer, offering some iconic images including the "New York City" t-shirt photo. This Lennon song is offered to honor Bob Gruen.

randy..please see page 12 of the thread.... graham asked if he could honor gruen with a lennon cover...i said no, because the challenge specifically reads: the submission must be one recorded, performed or written by the inductee. Gruen did no recording, performing or writing. now.....we're at the next to last day of the season and i don't want either of you disappointed....perhaps i should have amended the challenge to read "or photographed an inductee."....i don't know....i've asked him if he has his song and wants to post with yours...if he doesn't, then i'm going to have to stick to want i said....see page 12......i apologize for perhaps having messed this up.

randy..please see page 12 of the thread.... graham asked if he could honor gruen with a lennon cover...i said no, because the challenge specifically reads: the submission must be one recorded, performed or written by the inductee. Gruen did no recording, performing or writing. now.....we're at the next to last day of the season and i don't want either of you disappointed....perhaps i should have amended the challenge to read "or photographed an inductee."....i don't know....i've asked him if he has his song and wants to post with yours...if he doesn't, then i'm going to have to stick to want i said....see page 12......i apologize for perhaps having messed this up.

No worries, I'll send it to the Island!

For Season 213, we’re playing music associated with members of the Long Island Music Hall of Fame. This is a track from a band that is very important to me in my personal history. When I was a teenager my favorite band was Blue Oyster Cult (damn -where’s the umlaut on this thing?). I still think their first three records (forever in the juke box of my mind) are some of the best rock and roll produced in the early to mid seventies. I saw them in summer 1978, before the laser show was banned (with Cheap Trick - what a great show!). I had the poster of the five members all playing guitar (well I think Joe B. was on bass actually) on one of their encores (this is the same poster that the kid has in "That 70s Show" - muy autentico!).

The track, “Subhuman”, is a song that probably only real fans of the BOC are familiar with, and it is at the core of ethos of the BOC. It is a key part of the story of Imaginos, the epic song cycle written by Albert Bouchard and Sandy Pearlman, who, if you know anything about the band, was essentially the “sixth” BOC member, as he collaborated on and produced much of the Cult’s output over the years. Albert Bouchard was the original drummer in the BOC.

For tenor ukulele with singing, with an overdubbed track of Ashbory Ubass and harmony vocal.

Oops, I broke that rule, too. Oh well, it's deleted now.

Here's the iconic Shangri-las song - Leader of the Pack. Written in part by Ellie Greenwich. Many thanks to Linda Louden. This would not have happened without her.

Last edited:
I Love You More Than You'll Ever Know

Inductee Al Kooper was one of the original members of Blood, Sweat & Tears, and was the singer on the first BS&T album. Some of his bandmates wanted to hire a stronger singer and have Kooper just play keyboards, which led Kooper to leave the band. Kooper wrote this song, and later said it was a tribute to Otis Redding and James Brown.

The song may be best known as Paul Shaffer's "cape" song on Late Night with David Letterman. Every Friday night for two years, Shaffer's band would come out of a commercial break near the end of this song, with Shaffer standing in the middle of the stage screaming "I love you!" into a mike until a celebrity draped a cape over the overwrought Shaffer's shoulders like James Brown, and tried to lead him off-stage. Shaffer would run back to the mike and scream a couple more times as the song ended. I left the screaming bit out of my version because my throat doesn't go that high. Google found me a web page that charts who put the cape on Shaffer in every one of the 68 performances of this song. So I can tell you that on July 26, 2002, Donald Trump was Shaffer's cape draper. Here's a clip from one of the early performances:

Paul Shaffer w/ Letterman on cape

I sure hope to get some more songs done but what a weekend of playing! I'll probably end up posting a load of final hour vids! All day fest/openmic today and jam and open mic tomorrow, whew! I saw our Seasonista Sista Liz today at the fest and was thinking "Oh boy! We can knock something out for the Season!"..........She disappeared ): Musta went to the library, lol.

I sure hope to get some more songs done but what a weekend of playing! I'll probably end up posting a load of final hour vids! All day fest/openmic today and jam and open mic tomorrow, whew! I saw our Seasonista Sista Liz today at the fest and was thinking "Oh boy! We can knock something out for the Season!"..........She disappeared ): Musta went to the library, lol.

Bring them, Janet.....can't wait xxx

Here's the iconic Shangri-las song - Leader of the Pack. Written in part by Ellie Greenwich. Many thanks to Linda Louden. This would not have happened without her.

o

m

fricking fracking

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!

peeps, if any of you have not seen this, i respectfully draw your attention to its absolute rampant AWESOMENESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Linda, Here is my last contribution for this lovely week. So many many good songs and so little time. I've wanted to do this one from early this week but knew my upload time would be about 4-5 hours here in the mountain. My voice is shot from no sleep but this is such a beautiful song and I didn't feel Arlo Guthrie has been represented properly this week.....or has he? Ive lost count of all the songs in the past few days.

I just want you to know that for your first season you have done a remarkable job. You've baited us all with this unbelievable opportunity to sing for your area of the world and it has been a superior week of music. I think everyone has brought their best work. Thank the LIMHoF peeps for letting us be involved in this project via their website.

Rain on the Roof

When I first read the theme this week, I was horrified!
There was so much great music to choose from, how could I ever make up my mind what to play?

Fortunately I found that The Lovin' Spoonful had a couple of band members on the LIMHOF list, and as I had allready decided to learn one more of their tunes regardless of the seasons - I decided to go with that one. Besides being awesome music in general, it seems to me a lot of Lovin' Spoonful tunes have a feel that works well when played on ukulele.

The whole process of tabbing out the intro from some sheet-music, realizing I was too high on the frets, re-tabbing it and then practicing the fingerpicking took some time. Wish I had the musicality to just play those things by ear. A few days ago pabrizzer beat me to the punch and posted a great version of this song. I could save mine for another season to avoid repetition, but I don't have time to learn something new for this one - so here it is:

This one works for both themes, so I decided to record it today. It is a little long with a lot of lyrics, so if you don't make it to the end I understand ;-).
Here is my take on Billy Joel - Captain Jack.

Top Bottom