Thread: Padauk and Sitka Tenor

Default Padauk and Sitka Tenor

Lazy Sunday around here, so I took some photo's of one I strung up as part of a batch of 3 a few weeks ago.

This one in Padauk and Sitka Spruce with a 12"-16" compound radius fret board. Trim is Indian Rosewood and finished in a satin gloss lacquer. Strung with Worth Browns.

Padauk and Sitka Tenor.jpgPadauk and Sitka Tenor-3.jpgPadauk and Sitka Tenor-6.jpgPadauk and Sitka Tenor-7.jpgPadauk and Sitka Tenor-9.jpg

Just love the shape of your ukes Allen. Especially that upper bout shape. When I see that shape I think Allen McFarlen, Queensland Australia and I think clean, clean, clean. Lovely stuff. Great design and execution. The proportions are perfect...

I'll echo everything Sequoia has said: I must be one of your greatest admirers.

I've been meaning to ask about your new bridge design. Is there an acoustic/structural reason for this or is it just a nice design feature?

The new bridge design is more a refinement of the styling I'm building into the instrument line. I suppose there is some benefits to the design that would be structural and acoustic. A bit more compact and thus lighter, but more stiffness in the areas that count.

It's a diabolically difficult thing to make with out the use of a CNC. I know, because the first two I made took nearly 5 hours each to build and get right. It's all those inside curves and matching chamfers. Now I can make them in about 10 minutes (while I'm doing something else) and build them in a batch up to the point where they will get the veneer added. Later they are customised to suit the instrument they will go on by adding a complimentary veneer.

I'm getting very busy, and everything I can do to streamline the process's of manufacture is a bonus. Making items that are the same across many instruments that can be put into parts bins is a big plus. I just ran out of bracing material on Friday, so that will be one of the jobs this week. Make up enough for several months production.

Allen thanks for your full reply to my question. As already stated, the styling of your instrument is top notch!

Its interesting to hear what you say about the need to streamline your processes. As a hobby maker, I'm often surprised at the number of hand/power tools, jigs, and machine tools that pros need to employ in order to be able to make a living as a full time luthier.

I have to admire those who have not just the skill, but also the organisational ability to succeed as a pro.

That's a lovely instrument, Allen. I'm the last person to believe in magic wood, but everything I have made out of padouk has sounded really fine, whether guitar, mandolin, or dulcimer. It almost makes me a believer. But some folks just can't tolerate a red instrument. Too bad for them.

Elegant as always.

Thread Information