Why no carved ukulele tops?

pointpergame

Reaction score
Another quizzical question. Coming from the world of mandolins, and about to try building a Ukulele or two, I wonder why I never see carved tops? I understand, they're much more "expensive" in terms of time, and a uke doesn't have to withstand the hundred pounds downward force of an 8-steel-stringed mandolin. I'm wondering about a very, very thin carved top. I can make up an answer for myself, but wondering if any of you builders have journeyed in this direction at all?

Attachments

• ws 1.jpg
    ws 1.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 24
why no nylon strung mandolins.....?

Ok! Excellent. Flat tops are always louder. But uke's are at the low force end of the spectrum. So they don't necessarily need an arch structure. But very very thin might do something interesting to the spectrum and then be of functional use. Just asking.

There are, indeed, nylon mandolins but what would be the point. I made one so my weary hands could play 5ths tuning with lowered forces. But the mandolin is about very high potential energy unleashed in explosions of pitch over a broad range. That resistance to plucking --- the escapement --- in nylon I s a mere shadow of the steel version To mention one thing.

Thanks for the carved ref. Now I know where to look

That aside, have any of you cogitated on this?

Beautiful instruments yet I believe that they are pressed (if thats the right term) rather than carved.

Anthony

The photo on the bottom is mine. The tops and bottoms are all handcarved from solid wood. I also own a bass that's handcarved by Toby. I've put steel strings on the baritone. Sounds great. the sound is not as loud as a round soundhole. May add a pickup to the bari. The bass has the best neck I've played on any bass I've had in the 56 years of playing.

Here's a photo of the front of the baritone. one of my bass and a photo of his standup bass; all handcarved.

Attachments

• 11212607_952599984764479_5467339108017805386_o.jpg
    11212607_952599984764479_5467339108017805386_o.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 11329830_958328280858316_5074512805874705195_n.jpg
    11329830_958328280858316_5074512805874705195_n.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 11312922_957948527562958_5877901797839328904_o.jpg
    11312922_957948527562958_5877901797839328904_o.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
The photo on the bottom is mine. The tops and bottoms are all handcarved from solid wood. I also own a bass that's handcarved by Toby. I've put steel strings on the baritone. Sounds great. the sound is not as loud as a round soundhole. May add a pickup to the bari. The bass has the best neck I've played on any bass I've had in the 56 years of playing.

Here's a photo of the front of the baritone. one of my bass and a photo of his standup bass; all handcarved.

Thanks for the correction. I was wrong.

Anthony

I've never built an archtop. I'm not really into the sound, but it is certainly is a viable technique for ukuleles. There was a thread on here a couple years ago where two very good luthiers combined to build an archtop carved uke and the conclusion was it was pretty much a nightmare. The amount of work was ridiculous and the end product didn't justify the labor. Personally I'm not sure the tenor sized nylon stringed instrument lends it self to archtop construction. I don't think nylon has the energy to work that that carved top. But it is always an intriguing question. Personally I have better things to do in life than whittling a solid piece of wood into a concave shape. Life is short. Call me lazy.

pointpergame; ............I wonder why I never see carved tops? I understand said:
As hobby maker I made an archtop just over a year ago just to see how much more difficult it was to make, how much time it would take and most importantly, how it would sound. I didn't find it that difficult but it took almost twice as long to make: if I make another it would take much less time. As for the sound, it is different but I've found using f holes on a conventional instrument gives it a different sound so I'm not able to separate the contribution of these 2 factors to the overall sound. Since making the instrument, I have thinned the top a little and found an increase in volume: I suspect I could thin it even more with beneficial results.

Of all the instruments I have made, this one is often the one that people find most interesting, not because of the sound but because of the way it looks. Do I play it all the time? No, as with my bowl back instrument, its played occasionally. My favourite instrument is a conventional tenor in walnut and cedar.

So, I think the answer to your question is that the extra effort/time/cost is probably considered not to be worthwhile. I should add that for large scale manufacture, the soundboard and back would be shaped using a CNC machine, with fine tuning (voicing) done by hand. Mainstream manufacturers don't appear to have made this investment- presumably the demand isn't there.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...First-archtop-tenor-uke&p=1628861#post1628861

Last edited:
One of the gentlemen at KoOlau makes a killer arch top. (Link includes video sound samples).

http://www.theukulelesite.com/koolau-hand-carved-archtop-tenor.html

That is a really amazing sounding archtop. I have never been a fan of the sound of acoustic archtops vs. flattops. There is a reason that there are few nylon string archtop classical guitars. I don't believe it is cost as custom flattops go for quite a bit.

My poor understanding of a "carved" archtop is that there is such a fine line between making an archtop soundboard thin enough so that nylon strings can produce an adequate sound vs. too thin and having it collapse due to downward pressure. Now a braced domed top may be an acceptable compromise, but that is way beyond any understanding of how one would actually go about building one.

In the end, I really don't think there is viable market for an archtop ukulele.

John

Top Bottom