Dilemma: K-brand tenor in 2017 or Kamaka 100th Anniversary tenor this year??

I walked into a good deal. I was going to buy an import, never heard of Kamaka, i am a beginner with a guitar background. I held a Kamaka and liked it but could not justify the money. Then the deal found me. In my searching I did see a dealer that has a hew HF-3's. PM me if you want the info.

You are very lucky.
Treasure that uke and don't let go of it.
I forgot to mention yes Kamaka factory offered uke purchase but its not right the way. Just as other member already stated in previous thread, you do have to wait . If you want a K brand to bring home from Hawaii, it will probably be a Kanilea or a KoAloha. Most likely will be the floor models only unless you happened to catch Kanilea delivering a new batch to the store while you are there.

In my opinion, Kamaka ukes are the only ukes that you can (not at all saying you should) buy sight-unseen. The craftsmanship and quality assurance that goes into each ensures they play like gold. I've played very many Kamaka ukes through my short time on this earth and they were all astounding.

The same thing cannot be said about KoAloha, in my opinion. Just the other day, I went to my local music store and found a strangely high action on one of the KoAloha tenors.

With regards to Kanile'a, the models I have sampled were all pretty consistent but the overall feel is very different from that of a Kamaka or KoAloha or 'lesser quality' brand. Different doesn't mean worse. With Kamaka and KoAloha, you get a very warm and full sound when playing, partially due to the stock strings of each. With Kanile'a you get a very sharp and resonant tone throughout the whole instrument, again partially due to the stock strings. This 'x-factor' (lol) makes Kanile'a ukulele very, very unique and in my opinion, need to play before you buy.

In my opinion, if you are set on getting an ukulele sight-unseen, go for the Kamaka. If anything, getting a centennial model could mean you could flip it next year and sell for MSRP (assuming they're all sold out by next year, which I think is likely). A lot of people have voiced their recommendations towards this side of your decision and a lot of people have voiced their concerns towards the Hawaii trip souvenir decision and I would follow suit. It will be highly unlikely you will even find an HF-3 for sale in your short time here.

These are all just my thoughts so take it with a grain of salt. Hope I helped.

Go for the 2016 Kamaka!

To add to the above, I brought what turned out to be my brand new Kamaka tenor to my luthier. His words, "nothing to be done, it is perfect". He also played it, i got a chance to hear it from in front, outstanding since it will be sometime till I can make it sound a bit close to that.

In my opinion, Kamaka ukes are the only ukes that you can (not at all saying you should) buy sight-unseen. The craftsmanship and quality assurance that goes into each ensures they play like gold. I've played very many Kamaka ukes through my short time on this earth and they were all astounding.

The same thing cannot be said about KoAloha, in my opinion. Just the other day, I went to my local music store and found a strangely high action on one of the KoAloha tenors.

With regards to Kanile'a, the models I have sampled were all pretty consistent but the overall feel is very different from that of a Kamaka or KoAloha or 'lesser quality' brand. Different doesn't mean worse. With Kamaka and KoAloha, you get a very warm and full sound when playing, partially due to the stock strings of each. With Kanile'a you get a very sharp and resonant tone throughout the whole instrument, again partially due to the stock strings. This 'x-factor' (lol) makes Kanile'a ukulele very, very unique and in my opinion, need to play before you buy.

In my opinion, if you are set on getting an ukulele sight-unseen, go for the Kamaka. If anything, getting a centennial model could mean you could flip it next year and sell for MSRP (assuming they're all sold out by next year, which I think is likely). A lot of people have voiced their recommendations towards this side of your decision and a lot of people have voiced their concerns towards the Hawaii trip souvenir decision and I would follow suit. It will be highly unlikely you will even find an HF-3 for sale in your short time here.

Go for the 2016 Kamaka!

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Am seriously thinking about the 2016 Kamaka with all the advice given... I still have time to try out other Kbrands. As long I order a Kamaka in 2016 I'll be golden. Cheers.

In general, anniversary models of anything are "hot" during the anniversary year, and then so ten minutes ago in the subsequent years.

Sure, one hundred years later, at the bicentennial, it'll be vintage "hot" again, but everyone reading this will be dust.

Trust me, in 2017 and on, people out to buy a Kamaka will be preferring a Kamaka without the 100 year anniversary embellishments.

It's the classic "the party is over now" syndrome.

Last edited:
I'd imagine getting a Uke, in person, in Hawaii would be the best possible way to ever buy a Uke. It is a year away though, so that's rough, but I think it's worth the wait when given what you'll be getting out of the experience.

I think, if you go to Hawaii, you should play every ukulele you can find. Then go back to the store with the one you liked best of all and hope it's still there. Kamakas, Kanile'as, and KoAlohas are great, (my feelings are a little hurt that you mention 3 K's and not a KoAloha on your list).
The one you like best will very likely not be one of the 3.
Many of us (me) get stuck on what we hear about instruments and ignore what counts.

Go for the 2016 Kamaka!
Yes, you and others have helped! I went for the '16 Kamaka!!

So, I finally pulled the plug after all these months and sent an email directly to the Kamaka factory and requested a tenor w/ a pickup. (of course, I had to do it on the holiday yesterday so now I'm just twiddling my thumbs waiting .... & waiting....)

I recommend Kamaka 2016 Anniversary Edition...I have the HF-2 and I love it!!!

View attachment 94854

If you're going to Hawaii, I think it would be a grave mistake to order anything. Here's the "long-haul" solution:
Go to HMS and play everything. You'll find the best ukulele for you. (Might not be a K brand at all, but it will be the very best choice).
If we could, that's what almost any of us would do.

Congratulations. As you anxiously await the arrival your new ukulele, we're all awaiting your NUD post :)

Gahhhhh!!! :drool: My uke is ready!!! Waiting in limbo at FedEx for weekday delivery. Should be here Monday! Thanks to everyone one who commented.

I only have two rules I follow......1. Can I afford it? 2. Does it make me happy? If both of these are yes, then I do it. Good luck.

Now that I have this beauty...I'am planning a trip to Hawaii!!! It will be stress free as I'm taking my 100th HF-2 with me instead of investing time there looking for one!!

Looks fantastic!

Top Bottom