Banjo Uke New Skin?

Ahnko Honu

Reaction score
I have an OLD La Pacifica Banjo Uke 1930s vintage that I have been playing for about 10 years. When I got it it had what looks like a stab thru the skin from a pocket knife. The skin is still tight and sounds okay but was wondering if I should bother changing the skin, if it would give me a better sound with the stab wound. Your expert advice is appreciated.

Last edited:
stabbed through with a pocket knife?? Sounds like a good start to me yuk yuk yuk

If the hole is stable, not getting bigger, and the head is maintaining an even tension all around, I am not sure that replacing it would have a huge effect on the sound.

If it plays well as is you should leave it as is and come up with some story about how it originally belonged to a gangster who used it to defend himself in a fight. Or something like that. ;)

I just got a new bridge, and Aquila Banjo Uke strings so I'll install them but leave the cut skin as is for now. I get the feeling that there is a story behind the stab wound so a little embellishment won't do no harm right? :D I'll post pics later. MAHALO! ;)

Top Bottom