Hello, friends ~ If memory serves me, there have been several traditions that have evolved re: the SOTU over the numerous years that it has been running. I would surmise that this is so as to allow for growth, adaptation to new circumstances; this, whether it be for the benefit of host or the benefit of participants.

One example that comes fresh to mind is that it used to be, back when I had started with the SOTU in 2013, a tradition that ‘the ukulele must be seen front and center’ in an entry. Nowadays, we see a plethora of entries that come in that show absolutely no ukulele ‘front and center.’ People are exercising other creative endeavors in their entries, not only in showcasing their ukulele playing or singing, but now, also their skills at creating fabulous videos of other things to accompany their singing and playing.

I also recall that it used to be a tradition in which participants must show their faces whilst playing their ukuleles for their entries. In fact, I remember, specifically, a season in which our own, GinnyT, had a person in her SOTU who had joined for his/her first time; this person did not wish to play in front of the camera, and of course, Ginny was understanding of this.

I recall, recently, reading an early SOTU thread re: how to host a SOTU: it was mentioned that prizes should be given, winners announced, etc. It occurred to me when I read this that, when I started the SOTU back up this past May, I think I’ve only seen Del provide prizes as a host in all of the weeks that I’ve particiapted. I actually won, first time ever, a prize, on a SOTU; that prize was the fabulous Yazuke CD he and Lynda so brilliantly put together.

Isn’t it reasonable to consider that perhaps positive things can arise when both participants and hosts can feel comfortable in that they’re given considerations for flexibility, leeway? If Del feels that the overlap isn’t working out for him while hosting, wouldn’t it be sensible to give him that leeway to run his SOTU as will be optimal for his schedule? Perhaps those who typically submit on that Sunday might be willing to try to submit another day if they wish to participate?

Since coming back this past May to participate in the SOTU, I have, indeed, witnessed many things which have changed since I participated regularly back in 2013. All of these changes strike me as wonderful improvements that have enabled more people to participate in the SOTU, and that is an amazing thing! I like to keep these positive changes as proof that change is good; that flexibility is welcomed; that we are constantly evolving as group of people coming together to share our gifts and ideas; that we’re coming together to celebrate something that we all enjoy so much, that is, playing our ukuleles and sharing our music with each other.

In final, it goes without saying that I am tremendously grateful for those Seasonistas who take much of their precious time to volunteer to host and to volunteer to help organize and keep the SOTU running for so many of us to enjoy! Thank you; you are incredible people!!!

(Now I’m going to go play my ukulele!) :)

Last edited:
Thanks Chelle - you’ve articulated my point so well, which can be summed up in one word - flexibility. :)

well i guess the notion that what has been going on here for a long time must change and that you're the man to do it and the if i don't get my way i ain't gonna play attitude
This is the spin you put on it Brian!!!
The “don’t get my way I ain’t gonna play attitude” remark was intended to make me look like a spoilt child - simply for requesting enough flexibility to be in a position to offer my hosting services again. Sheesh!

Last edited:
well i guess the notion that what has been going on here for a long time must change and that you're the man to do it and the if i don't get my way i ain't gonna play attitude
And this is what you said! Simply because I wouldn’t have otherwise been in a position to offer my services as a host.

This is the spin you put on it Brian!!!
The “don’t get my way I ain’t gonna play attitude” remark was intended to make me look like a spoilt child - simply for requesting enough flexibility to be in a position to offer my hosting services again. Sheesh!

you do whatever you want Del

Better than that - I’ll abide by the democratic outcome of the poll I posted on the issue.

Del, my personal feelings are that you should be able to run your SOTU as it’s best for you, regardless of how the vote turns out. I view the purpose of the poll only as a means by seeing where peoples’ thoughts lie within a snapshot of time. Thoughts/views can change; circumstances change; situations evolve. That said, I would love to see you to continue to host SOTU and if this means it’s best for you to omit the overlapping day, I support you in that decision. I might choose to host, one day, and I will only likely allow for one video with a bonus video for my SOTU. I am sure that my ‘rule’ for my SOTU will likely not make me popular, and I may lose out on entries, but this is what I will need to do in order to give full attention to each entry. I would like to hope that flexibility will be given to me to choose this as my rule, and it will not be something that prevents me from being able to be a host. Flexibility is really important; as is kindness and respect for everyone. :)

Last edited:
Del, my personal feelings are that you should be able to run your SOTU as it’s best for you, regardless of how the vote turns out. I view the purpose of the poll only as a means by seeing where peoples’ thoughts lie within a snapshot of time. Thoughts/views can change; circumstances change; situations evolve. That said, I would love to see you to continue to host SOTU and if this means it’s best for you to omit the overlapping day, I support you in that decision. I might choose to host, one day, and I will only likely allow for one video with a bonus video for my SOTU. I am sure that my ‘rule’ for my SOTU will likely not make me popular, and I may lose out on entries, but this is what I will need to do in order to give full attention to each entry. I would like to hope that flexibility will be given to me to choose this as my rule, and it will not be something that prevents me from being able to be a host. Flexibility is really important; as is kindness and respect for everyone. :)

What a lovely way to bring all this senseless bickering to a close. Hopefully we can resume using this thread for it's stated purpose now :)

Firstly my apologies to all who’ve had to witness this unseemly squabble - it’s really not who I am!

My attempts to instigate a few minor changes here were well intended, if poorly executed - and I certainly didn’t need to be drawn into a mud fight. This place should be all about the music.

In the light of it all, I’m withdrawing my offer to host season 449 and taking a break from participating in the Seasons for a while. Have fun everyone! :)

Big thanks for your last post Del! We're all human and I know I've personally had plenty of moments where something's gotten under my skin, and i've been short with a friend or family member . . .

I do hope that once you've been able to step back and digest this whole thing, that you will realize you're always welcome here as far i'm concerned!

Be well mate ~

Last edited:
I will take 449 if no one is taking it, Brian.
Thank you so much for coordinating these past years.

I have some ideas for themes, I should host soon.

If Joo has secured 449, I can take 453.

I plan for October to have less overtime at work than september, though sometimes work projects take longer to finish than planned.

Top Bottom