So Brian, you are really prepared to lose a damn good host (and at a time when only two more weeks are covered) for the sake of a pointless tradition that puts others off hosting too? Really?

i've put you down for 449 Del so feel free to change whatever pointless traditions of the seasons you want.....

This topic has come up at regular intervals, & the consensus always comes to the same conclusion, most want to keep it, because they take all week to work on a song to post.

So why not start the Season on a Monday, announced on Sunday, ends the following Sunday, so that people can prepare & start looking for their entry though the week.

That way, those that take all week to bring their entry will still have the weekend to perfect it, if needed.

The only trouble I see is that the prolific posters will have a free day at the weekend.... :D

This topic has come up at regular intervals, & the consensus always comes to the same conclusion, most want to keep it, because they take all week to work on a song to post.
If this were the case, Keith, the early part of the week would be quiet and the end of the week would be busy. The opposite is actually the reality!

i've put you down for 449 Del so feel free to change whatever pointless traditions of the seasons you want.....
Some hosts don't announce winners, some hosts don't offer prizes, some hosts don't do a wrap - all traditions of the seasons - but you never seem to complain when they aren't adhered to. But I wish to end my season 24 hours early for the good reasons I've stated. Others should be free to do this too - but only if they wish.

Some hosts don't announce winners, some hosts don't offer prizes, some hosts don't do a wrap - all traditions of the seasons - but you never seem to complain when they aren't adhered to. But I wish to end my season 24 hours early for the good reasons I've stated. Others should be free to do this too - but only if they wish.

well Del you're just pointing out that in fact none of those things are traditions of the seasons
the eight days has been a constant but as you've said you're the man to change that or you won't host (something no 'damn good host' would do imho)
i've made no complaints i've just said that i think the eight days should stay

If this were the case, Keith, the early part of the week would be quiet and the end of the week would be busy. The opposite is actually the reality!

I think I probably worded it wrongly - most people do in fact post early on, I agree, but some others do take all week to get their entry in, & it has been for those people that the consensus remains to keep the 8 day 'rule'.

Hey, Pa. Could you put me down for Season 448 (the one with the typo in the dates?) I'd like to give that one a go.
--Yukio

I’m happy to host 449 on the understanding that I will finish the season 24 hours early, thus cutting out the overlap day with the following season.

So Brian, you are really prepared to lose a damn good host (and at a time when only two more weeks are covered) for the sake of a pointless tradition that puts others off hosting too? Really?

I've just done a quick check. Season 445 has FIVE Sunday entries. Maybe most weeks don't get so many but entries do come in on the final Sunday so it's NOT a wasted day. Please Del, don't be so dogmatic about the final Sunday, some people may not have been able to get their entry in before then.

I do agree that late entries don't get the number of comments early ones do but that's true of Saturday entries as well.

Please Del, don't be so dogmatic about the final Sunday, some people may not have been able to get their entry in before then...

...and some people, who incidentally really want to host, find it fits in far better with their own schedule to finish the season 24 hours early, Geoff. I’m not saying that all hosts should lose the final Sunday - just those who’d prefer to use the second Sunday (which has almost always been very quiet and flat for the seasons I’ve hosted) as a time to pick winners and sort out the wrap-up video/post instead. For me the early part of the working week is busy and tiring, and therefore not the best time to be doing the closing admin for my season. If a host really is in charge of their season I feel it’s an option that should be open to them. And according to the poll so far, a large majority of Seasonistas agree with me.

.........So next time I host I’ll do my own thing and end it on the Saturday - which also has the advantage of giving me the opportunity for a nice timely wrap while the season is still fresh in everybody’s minds. This may be the only way to change things. If there are any objections to this I’ll simply stop hosting altogether.

well i guess the notion that what has been going on here for a long time must change and that you're the man to do it and the if i don't get my way i ain't gonna play attitude

well i guess the notion that what has been going on here for a long time must change and that you're the man to do it and the if i don't get my way i ain't gonna play attitude
Or how about: “the current 8-day format doesn’t suit me personally, but I’m keen to do my bit again and a little flexibility would allow this to happen“?

Or how about: “the current 8-day format doesn’t suit me personally, but I’m keen to do my bit again and a little flexibility would allow this to happen“?

that would have been so much better

still doesn't show any consideration for those who use that 8th day and it has almost always been well used in terms of quality if not quantity (has certainly had some support over the last 3 or 4 seasons)

and on the basis that that is not what you posted you do get an objection from me

you may be pleased to know that it was that post of yours that made me realise i'd enough of coordinating the hosting aspect of the seasons

over the number of years i've been organising the hosting roster i have had just one offer to let me know that someone was willing to take over when and if i had had enough (and that was also years ago)
that seasonista hasn't been a regular for some time or i certainly would have reached out to them
when Ralf's son Sal arrived i just sent him a pm asking if he wanted to let the coordinating role go
that's how i got the job
and he told me that is how he got the job from Drew
i had a list of people in my mind but thankfully Steve agreed to take over
he did say that he could do it for 12 months
so please if we are still going in a year's time reach out and see if he is ready to let someone else take over - he may be happy to keep going but i am sure he would appreciate the offer

maybe the role of coordinator needs some more certain consideration

Last edited:
that would have been so much better
Semantics, Brian - you simply chose to put your own negative spin on what I said.

still doesn't show any consideration for those who use that 8th day...
If they know in advance that it isn’t available (which they would), they can either post their song on one of the preceding 7 full available days or simply wait for the next 8-dayer. Certain themes exclude those with no interest in the genre with the same result - would you consider that to be a lack of consideration too? We all follow a host’s requirements for the week that they are hosting - if it doesn’t suit we don’t take part - simple as that.

you may be pleased to know that it was that post of yours that made me realise i'd enough of coordinating the hosting aspect of the seasons
I was under the impression that this had been arranged prior to my post. Otherwise I’m very surprised that somebody suggesting a little more control for the host regarding the duration of a season would have had such a major impact on you.

Top Bottom