Travelling Fellowhsip help needed

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
Hi fellow makers:

I am planning my itinerary for the Fall when I will be travelling to Canada, the US and Hawaii as a Fellow of the Winston Churchill Memorial Trust. My project is to research best practice teaching ukulele making and studying techniques used by my peers to build ukulele.

I want be based in California for about 10 days visiting makers, 7 days in Oregon and 5 days in Colorado before heading off to Hawaii. My fellowship is generously funded but because of my PD I am having to take my wife as support. This means I have to be very prudent how I manage my living expenses. So here's the question. Anyone want to host me (I'll pay you) or anyone with accommodation ideas in any of these locations?

I am also open to addressing local ukulele groups or conducting workshops. Legally I cannot get paid for these but am allowed to claim expenses. So anyone want to organise a meet the maker symposium, I am open to suggestions.

The outcome of my visit will be to develop an accredited program of study in ukulele making that will enable potential educators to set up a making course and enable students to study in depth at my workshop in Wales for 3 - 4 months with a view to 'graduating' with building skills....

insofar as codifying good construction practice, to what extend do, or don't, makers reveal their techniques? a lot of business people feel that their information is proprietary.
i get the general feeling you will succeed in getting good information going at the subject with a positive attitude and just wonder about things as many do not reveal all in these pages.

edit. during motorcycle touring there were always cheap motels that could be found, none of which are present on internet searches. some areas are better than others, california, too developed. we did better going down south. not pleasant accommodations but adequate. cheap motels are a matter of asking around.

Last edited:
what are the approx colorado dates ???

If you are coming to the SF Bay Area i'm sure I can find decent lodging for you and your wife. Since my adult daughter moved back home my place is full but my sister has sort of a bed and breakfast without the breakfast in Calistoga. Calistoga is a quaint little town in the heart of wine country. I'm sure I can work a deal. There are several builders in this area Mike DeSilva, Kala, Bill Iberti, and Me. Kala has 4 or 5 guys building their high end US made instruments in Petaluma. Public transportation in our neck of the woods is poor outside of the cities so you really need to rent a car to get around. You said you would be in San Diego. Might be nice to take the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner up to Santa Cruz to visit Rick Turners operation. then on to our area. Our trains aren't as good as the trains in Great Britain but that stretch of track is one beautiful ride. If I can help your project in any way please contact me.

Top Bottom