Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Please convince me against picking up classical guitar at this stage

Exclamation Please convince me against picking up classical guitar at this stage

First, some background. Sorry this is a bit long: I love the sound of the classical guitar and had always wanted to learn how to play it but didn't make the leap because I thought I would have difficulty in growing out my thumbnail, plus I wasn't sure if I would like playing stringed instruments.

A couple of months ago I found an ukulele shop a few minutes from my place and became fascinated with the instrument. I mean, it's so cute! I bought a beginner concert and got hooked on strumming. I also love how it takes up very little space in our cramped apartment. I've taken a few uke lessons as well.

Although I do like strumming chords while singing with friends, my ultimate goal is to learn solos and fingerpicking, with a sound quality approaching that of classical guitar. But then...it occurred to me why not just pick up classical guitar?

The idea has taken hold of my brain and it's making me want to compulsively go out there and buy one. However, there are a few things stopping me:

1) It's not even 2 months since I started ukulele, and since I want to get good at it wouldn't it be better if I focused on it first? (I also take piano lessons once a week so I have another instrument that I need to practice).

2) I'm going to Japan this weekend and I'm planning to buy a high quality Japan-made ukulele there. Buying a classical guitar would take from my uke budget.

3) After my experience with my current cheap-ish ukulele, I've decided that if I'm buying guitar, I'd be going for a higher quality one from the get-go, probably in the $800 range. Not the kind of money I want to be putting out right now. As to why $800, although this kind of guitar is still in the beginner range, it will hopefully stave off GAS until much later.

4) Guitars are huge compared to ukulele and would take up space. I want my instruments to be pick up and play (like I do with my ukulele) so I can practice at odd times when I feel like it. The guitar doesn't seem quite as pick-up-and-play friendly like the uke.

I would probably see a ton of nice guitars when I go uke shopping this weekend, so the temptation would be doubly strong.

TL;DR: I objectively know that I probably shouldn't get a classical guitar at this moment but I can't get the idea out of my head. But I'm a compulsive buyer and tend to get what I want in the end. Please knock some sense into me and convince me that a guitar isn't what I need or want in my life right now.

i just bought a cordoba mini with the intent of trying my hand at classical.

before you do that, go ahead and pick up the first tony mizen book and start practicing. at the very least the tony mizen books will keep you busy for many months to come with your ukulele. the arrangements are very nice.

if you do classical guitar be ready...doing it right will push you into reading directly from score and probably will take a lot more concentrated effort than building some skills on the ukulele side.

in september i may consider taking the classes they offer on the classical guitar forums. that's when their next yearly cycle starts.
    Last edited by bnolsen; 03-23-2016 at 01:48 AM.
    In order of play time: Martin OXK, Lanikai LU21B, Islander MT4, Rubin Sopranino

Quote Originally Posted by marimorimo View Post
    Although I do like strumming chords while singing with friends, my ultimate goal is to learn solos and fingerpicking, with a sound quality approaching that of classical guitar. But then...it occurred to me why not just pick up classical guitar?
    You can do that on uke, more commonly with tenor or baritone, but probably doable on concert as well. Listen to Jake S. or James Hill or Abe Lagrimas.

Your four reasons are good. To expand on #3, you can get nicer ukes for less money than you can with guitars.
    Current Stable:
    -Ohana TKS-15E - Eb cuatro
    -Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - Bb, SC SMU
    -Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    -KPK pineapple SLN-GCEA
    -Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    -Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    -Imua iET-Bb, M600
    -Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    -Rogue bari
    -Bonanza super tenor, FBL cFAD
    Once upon a time:
    -RISA Concert Stick
    -Bruko sop. custom #6
    -Lanikai lam hog bari
    -Kala SLNG
    -Bruko bari
    -Gold Tone BUT

Jim's Blog

Guitar always seemed like driving a boat compared to a uke. You get used to that smaller size. It's got to be difficult to go bigger.... BUT if that's what you really truly want and desire, then who are we to stop you? Life is short.

I come the other way, i played classical guitar for years and moved to uke and started having fun. Classical guitar needs a ton more theory and IME there is a lot more work involved in getting something that remotely sounds like music. If the uke is your hobby then i would get a tenor uke with a really clear and well separated tone and 1 1/2" nut. The Cordoba line and Romero Creations grand tenor are two that jump to mind. With that setup, the right strings and Tony's Mizen's books and you are good to go, mini classical guitar / uke...
    Note to self... stop reading this and go play!

Quote Originally Posted by billten View Post
    If the uke is your hobby then i would get a tenor uke with a really clear and well separated tone and 1 1/2" nut. The Cordoba line and Romero Creations grand tenor are two that jump to mind.
    islander also has the 1/2 nut. or kanilea.
    In order of play time: Martin OXK, Lanikai LU21B, Islander MT4, Rubin Sopranino

I feel that you should get whatever makes you feel happy. I like the ukulele because it's small and portable, original, and it allows you to play pieces that can't be played with the same technique or stretches on a guitar (that's true the other way around also). Affordability isn't much of an issue to me now, though it was one when I set out, because a quality ukulele isn't really that much cheaper than a quality guitar. I do like the culture and community surrounding the ukulele, and that (as Jake said too) people don't have particularly high expectations. If you want to stand out (I don't), picking expertly on a ukulele will achieve that much more easily than picking a guitar. Also, guitars just strike me as too serious, somehow.

I started with classical guitar, but now I am very happy playing the ukulele. The string tension is lighter, so it is easier on your fingers. I found that a classical guitar was too big and awkward to carry around for casual playing, so I never did it, even though I used to think about it. With a uke, I was able to bring it to work with me, and sit in my car at lunch and play. I like to play concert size, and often play with low G tuning. To satisfy your interest, I would suggest getting a guitalele. That way you can get the best part of both worlds. They range in cost and size. Some are baritone size, and others are tenor size. Playing a guitalele is very much like playing a mini guitar.
    –Lori

To me, playing guitar is more work and less fun than ukulele, and classical guitar can be quite demanding. However, guitar has its rewards and I've started playing guitar again after a few years of ukulele only. To more easily play both, I've tended to prefer Tenor ukuleles and short-scale guitars. That way there's not such a large difference in scale length.
    If music be the food of love, play on! -Bill Shakespeare

I was in Japan last month. Don't count on finding any cheap uke just because it's made in Japan. Their price is outrageous! There is a street in Tokyo that sells only string instruments but mostly guitars.
    Have you tried travel guitar? It's smaller in size.
    I played classical guitar too but tenor uke can deliver just as good classical quality and it's so much easier.

Thread Information