Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Plant-based recorders

Default Plant-based recorders

Yamaha has come out with a soprano and an alto recorder made with "Ecodear", a plant-based resin.

Given the success of the Clara, I thought I'd give it a try.

Has anyone actually played one yet?

Thanks.
    Last edited by kvehe; 06-09-2018 at 07:24 AM.
    Kathryn

I had the alto model shipped from Japan a few months ago. The tone is a bit darker than the tone of a 300 series Yamaha but without the reediness of my 700 series Aulos. It is also noticeably heavier than my 300 series Yamaha alto (a good thing in this case).

As injection-molded resin recorders go, it's good. It doesn't hold a candle to my Bernolin resin recorder (which was not injection-molded), but then again, it's much cheaper.

All in all, I think it's an improvement over the 300 series Yamaha line. Keep in mind that the Ecodear compound is still 70% ABS resin (maybe for stability?).
    Last edited by bacchettadavid; 03-24-2016 at 08:06 AM. Reason: just
    "Who hears music, feels his solitude Peopled at once -- for how count heart-beats plain / Unless a company, with hearts which beat, / Come close to the musician, seen or no?" - Robert Browning, "Balaustion's Adventure"

Thank you! It sounds like something I might like; I expect mine next week.
    Kathryn

Quote Originally Posted by bacchettadavid View Post
    As injection-molded resin recorders go, it's good. It doesn't hold a candle to my Bernolin resin recorder (which was not injection-molded), but then again, it's much cheaper.
    I haven't touched my recorder in quite a while but I saw the Edodear announced on the yahoo recorder group where it got good marks. I was also interested in the Bernolin when it came out. Can you give some more details on the differences between the two? Playability? tone?
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    KPK pineapple SLN-GCEA
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Flea soprano, C LW
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Kala KA-GL-Koa, G EFS, O Warm/Worth B

!Flukutronic!

The Bernolin is an excellent recorder, Jim. I don't really think it fair to compare the Bernolin to the Yamaha resin recorders. They are made by different methods, and the undercutting on the Bernolin makes it superior to any injection-molded recorder I've yet played. I'd rank it about on par overall with mid-range recorders like Yamaha's 800 series recorder line.

The Bernolin's tone is rich and changes with register (beautiful overtones across entire range), but it is not particularly loud. I'd say it's about on par with my Yamaha 800 series and Fehr Stanesbury in terms of playability--very articulate response requiring subtlety from the player (probably more delicate/sensitive than the Yamaha 800 and slightly less sensitive than the Fehr). Overall, a very expressive instrument that "gets out of the way", as it were, once you can reign it in.

The Bernolin is not without faults. It lacks the tonal complexity (and volume, if this is important to you) of my Fehr Stanesbury and Blezinger Denner altos; however, I often gravitate towards playing the Bernolin because it doesn't clog (at all...seriously, I've played it for an hour without any issues) and is much easier to maintain.

If you're considering getting back into recorder, consider the Bernolin. If I were to ever get out of playing recorder, it's the one recorder I own that I would keep. It's low-maintenance (as recorders go) and highly playable, which makes for a great pick up and play instument.

But I wouldn't scoff at an Ecodear instrument, either. Keep in mind that the Antique Sound Workshop probably has some altos in stock by now (or will soon), and that you can buy a "set up" recorder through them at full retail price (this would probably make the Ecodear an excellent deal for starting players).
    Last edited by bacchettadavid; 03-27-2016 at 11:45 AM.
    "Who hears music, feels his solitude Peopled at once -- for how count heart-beats plain / Unless a company, with hearts which beat, / Come close to the musician, seen or no?" - Robert Browning, "Balaustion's Adventure"

Thanks! I used to be into recorder a lot more back when I had a regular church gig. We moved churches and I found I wasn't playing them. I sold a nice Hubert tenor (that I got from ASw incidentally) and a so-so Moeck soprano, keeping only a Kung Superio alto.

Bill Lazar is also carrying the Ecodear line now.
    Ukulele:
    KPK pineapple SLN-GCEA
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Rogue bari
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Flea soprano, C LW
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127

!Flukutronic!

You're welcome, Jim!

What do you think of the Kung Superio? That's a modern style recorder, correct?

I prefer baroque recorders since I play mostly solo, but I will admit to sometimes tiring of the baroque recorders'..."character". I hear that good modern recorders are easier to play.

What do you think of the Kung Superio? That's a modern style recorder, correct?
    I think so but I'm not sure of what constitutes modern vs baroque. Here's what I thought of it when I got it:
    http://jimhanksmusic.com/jim/AltoRecorderTest.htm
    Ukulele:
    KPK pineapple SLN-GCEA
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Rogue bari
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Flea soprano, C LW
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127

!Flukutronic!

The Bernolin is an excellent recorder, Jim. I don't really think it fair to compare the Bernolin to the Yamaha resin recorders. They are made by different methods, and the undercutting on the Bernolin makes it superior to any injection-molded recorder I've yet played. I'd rank it about on par overall with mid-range recorders like Yamaha's 800 series recorder line.

The Bernolin's tone is rich and changes with register (beautiful overtones across entire range), but it is not particularly loud. I'd say it's about on par with my Yamaha 800 series and Fehr Stanesbury in terms of playability--very articulate response requiring subtlety from the player (probably more delicate/sensitive than the Yamaha 800 and slightly less sensitive than the Fehr). Overall, a very expressive instrument that "gets out of the way", as it were, once you can reign it in.

The Bernolin is not without faults. It lacks the tonal complexity (and volume, if this is important to you) of my Fehr Stanesbury and Blezinger Denner altos; however, I often gravitate towards playing the Bernolin because it doesn't clog (at all...seriously, I've played it for an hour without any issues) and is much easier to maintain.

If you're considering getting back into recorder, consider the Bernolin. If I were to ever get out of playing recorder, it's the one recorder I own that I would keep. It's low-maintenance (as recorders go) and highly playable, which makes for a great pick up and play instument.

But I wouldn't scoff at an Ecodear instrument, either. Keep in mind that the Antique Sound Workshop probably has some altos in stock by now (or will soon), and that you can buy a "set up" recorder through them at full retail price (this would probably make the Ecodear an excellent deal for starting players).
    Yes, I know this is 2 years old, but I found it through a google search.

David, do you think the Bernolin is worth the $493 price tag compared to getting a wooden recorder?

I have the ecodear and wondered if there would be much difference, but it sounds like there is. I really like the low maintenance and durability aspect vs wood.

If I start a regular practice routine with the alto ecodear, I may save up and get the Bernolin as my 60th birthday present.
    Jan >^..^<
    (AKA Chopped Liver)

You say 'Crazy Cat Lady' like it's a bad thing!

"Out of clutter, find simplicity." Albert Einstein

One thing to consider if you're getting the 415hz version is that woods at that pitch are usually much more expensive. I wish he had a 392hz version.
    Ukulele:
    KPK pineapple SLN-GCEA
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Rogue bari
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Flea soprano, C LW