Ono vs. Collings Spruce Top Tenors reentrant comparison (blind samples)

Doc_J

Reaction score
Here are two reentrant tenor sound samples of an Ono spruce/ Bolivian rosewood with Oasis strings and a Collings spruce/maple tenor with Savarez strings. Both sound great in reentrant, with lots of volume and full tone. This shows how good Ono ukes are. I've had other great spruce tops, but these might be my top sounding spruce tops for reentrant C tuning. They probably sound as good in linear tuning, but I've got that covered.

Can you guess which one is which? Any preference?

https://soundcloud.com/doc-hj/spruce-reentrant-tenor-number-1

https://soundcloud.com/doc-hj/spruce-reentrant-tenor-number-2

P1070686.jpgP1070523.jpg

My personal preference is #2 as I hear it having a deeper, richer sound. #1 though is excellent in clarity especially in upper register. I just prefer that deeper, richer more guitar like tone in #2.

I don't have personal experience with Collings or Ono ukes in person, but my guess is #2 being the Collings due to the more guitar like tone.

They both sound nice, but I like sample number 1. It seems to have a lighter sound and shimmer (glistening??) clean tone especially on the high notes. I'd say that number 1 is the is the Ono.

John

Edit added after reading Recstar24's post, I think that is why I didn't prefer sample number 2, which I think is the Collings.

I like those adjectives to describe #1, it definitely is cleaner sounding and has that nice shimmer in the tone. The upper register is super focused.

I wouldn't turn down either one, but #2 sounds most pleasing to me. As recstar24 pointed out, it seems to have a little deeper, richer, and mellower sound, but the differences are minuscule.

I like #1. It has that bell-like tone to me.

So fun! They both sound very nice and, upon first listening, really similar to my ears. Upon a second listening with headphones I detect a slightly more full sound in #2 on the finger style portion. I still find them basically indiscernible on the strumming samples.

(I own and love both brands as well -- in concert sizes -- though my Ono has different woods.)

I liked number two more, but both sounded great. Have you ever posted pictures of all of your Ukes? I feel like you have an impressive collection.

My personal preference is #2 as I hear it having a deeper, richer sound. #1 though is excellent in clarity especially in upper register. I just prefer that deeper, richer more guitar like tone in #2.

I don't have personal experience with Collings or Ono ukes in person, but my guess is #2 being the Collings due to the more guitar like tone.

+1 -- except I own 2 Collings Mahogany ukes (concert and tenor). Very interested to find out which is which!

I think 1 is the collings and i prefer #2 due to it's depth. I bet #2 sounds great in Bb tuning.

Wow you guys have good ears. The spectrum plots of the initial open and 12th fret string plucks agree. The sounds are close, but a little different.
ffts.jpg

attachment.php
#1 is more even and has more A-string volume. #2 has bigger lower end frequencies.

Last edited:
Hodge I just love when you do something like this. Thanks we all do appreciate your time and effort.

I own a Collings mahogany tenor and an Ono 16" concert and I love them both but it's not helping me pick which one is which. Your two instruments both sound fabulous.

I liked the fuller mellower sound of #2 and I am guessing it is the Ono. Number 1 was bright and articulate which the maple back and sides might have something to do with.

EDDIE are you a politician.........your danced around the issue but never declared anything concrete. Come man make a decision, lol.

Doc, can you reattach the spectrum plots? It's not opening.

Also, what program do you use to get those measurements? I have the upgraded tuning tools for the Peterson strobe app which has a variety of spectrum plots but I haven't figured out how to capture them.

Ok I didn't look at any of the responses. I think the Collings is #1 and the Ono #2. I have never played an Ono but I have played many Collings. Number one sounds like many Collings. I actually prefer number two in tone. They both sound good though.

Doc, can you reattach the spectrum plots? It's not opening.

Also, what program do you use to get those measurements? I have the upgraded tuning tools for the Peterson strobe app which has a variety of spectrum plots but I haven't figured out how to capture them.

Reattached the spectrum plots. I used a feature in Audacity to 'Plot Spectrum'. Audacity is what I use to record.

My guess is that #1 is the Ono and #2 is the Collings. The #2 seems to be a bit more guitar like, but they are so very close and shows what kind a value the Ono is if there are so many differences of opinion as to which is which.

Great thread Hodge.

Wow you guys have good ears. The spectrum plots of the initial open and 12th fret string plucks agree. The sounds are close, but a little different. #1 is more even and has more A-string volume. #2 has bigger lower end frequencies.

Is there any way to superimpose (overlay) one spectrum plot on the other? It looks to me like #2 has higher dB's at almost every frequency?

Is there any way to superimpose (overlay) one spectrum plot on the other? It looks to me like #2 has higher dB's at almost every frequency?

Audacity only analyzes 1 segment at a time. But, I agree that #2 is a bit louder.
(I believe that I can export data and plot both in Excel.)

Here's both on 1 plot.

ffts2.jpg

Last edited:
EDDIE are you a politician.........your danced around the issue but never declared anything concrete. Come man make a decision, lol.

Haha! If I was, I would insult a lot of people, talk about how I would make everything better despite having zero evidence of ever having done so, and then continue to live my hypocritical life hoping against all hope that nobody ever finds out my true mettle. ;-)

What I tried to be concrete about is that they are soooooo close to my ear that I it seems silly to pick based on sound. But, since you've mercilessly called me out on the debate stage, I'll say I would pick #2 if forced to pick on sound alone.

So, there! ;-)

Top Bottom