Two new uke players in Ohio

JessicaM

Reaction score
Hi!
I'm excited to learn more about this friendly little instrument. I'm a halfway decent guitar player, but I was looking for an instrument to play with my toddler. About a month ago I bough us each a new uke (hers is a plastic body with a full coverage plan!) so we've stopped beating up my guitars and are having a blast learning the ukulele.

I'm looking forward to getting to know this community which seems very friendly.

I'm also hoping someone here might happen to have some leads on where to find in person lessons locally (Columbus, Ohio).

Thanks for including me!

Welcome, Jessica, and welcome to your daughter as well! You'll both have wonderful memories of your uke times. Good luck with finding lessons; I know that can be a real challenge.

Welcome to UU! Get'em started young....

Greetings and welcome. "halfway decent guitar players" often take about 20 minutes to get the uke. Google "ukulele for guitar players" for lots of resources online. Video lessons/tutorials, including those here on UU are a great alternative to live lessons. Many uke clubs give beginner's lessons, but you should move beyond those quickly.

http://www.meetup.com/BuckeyeUkuleleSociety/

Welcome from the WV/Ohio border!

Skype lessons may be right for you. Ukulele Underground Plus has lovely pre-recorded lessons, graded from beginner on up to master class, in a wonderful hierarchical organization. It's economical and fascinatingly appropriate. Check it out on UU homepage.

May I suggest also Brad at liveukulele.com. He's an amazing human being and teacher. I'll pop a video from his YouTube channel here. He Skypes from HI, Jessica. He's super kind. Check out his entire astonishing channel.

Last edited:
Greetings and welcome. "halfway decent guitar players" often take about 20 minutes to get the uke.

That's what I'm realizing. I know that to be actually good the uke requires as much attention as any instrument, but the learning curve seems less steep at the beginning! And I like the immediate gratification! Even my two year old can hold it properly and strum :) Pretty much the cutest thing you've ever seen.

I just joined BUC. It looks like all the meet ups are during dinner time for us, but I'm definitely going to ask them about lessons. I mostly need the scheduled lesson time just to make sure it actually happens. It seems like there are excellent self-paced resources online -- but my life isn't really in a self-paced place these days ;)

Last edited:
Welcome. Do an Ohio search and you may find a few family friendly events....
Cheers,
R

Top Bottom